GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
The oil storage was supposed to be bombed... by the THIRD WAVE... which never came. So were the submarines and other stuff to be destroyed... Nagumo chickened out cause he knew the Enterprise was somewhere nearby but he didn't know where. And most of the service men killed were 18-19 year olds... most of the Officers were not on the ships either.

Now at Pearl we were not all that hard hit.
Arizona destroyed
California May 1944 back in action. fully modernized (12- 14 inch guns.. moderate damage)
Maryland February 1942 fully modernized (8- 16 inch guns.. light damage.)
Nevada May 1942 semi-modernized (10- 14 inch guns.. moderate damage)
Oklahoma sunk
Pennsylvania August 1942 semi-modernized (12- 14 inch guns.. light damage)
Tennessee February 1942 fully modernized (12- 14 inch guns.. light damage)
West Virginia September 1944 fully modernized (8 - 16 inch guns.. heavy damage)

Not one aircraft carrier!!

Immediately moved to Pacific Fleet from Atlantic Fleet:
Colorado (8 - 16 inch guns)
New Mexico (12 - 14 inch guns)
Idaho (12 - 14 inch guns)
Mississippi (12 - 14 inch guns)

New 16 inch Battleships... enter service:
North Carolina (BB-55) June 1942
Washington (BB-56) December 1941 (yes the Washington was in service at the time of Pearl Harbor!)
South Dakota (BB-57) October 1942
Indiana (BB-58) November 1942
Massachusetts (BB-59) October 1942
Alabama (BB-60) February 1943

Thus not one month after Pearl Harbor the dang whole Pacific Fleet was back in business!!!! The Japanese screwed up BIG TIME! But, why did the Japanese REALLY lose the war???

·
Bitter American
627 Posts
That's a really interesting story. I'm glad you shared it. I've been to the site of the Arizona and it is a sobering experience. I love history and hope it doesn't get cancelled.

·
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm
1,447 Posts
I didn't know any of this, mostly because it is completely false. Seriously does anyone actually research stuff or do the just post it without doing any fact checking.

Reactions: Rizzo

·
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm
1,447 Posts
We all do know the story is just internet chainmail bs from the 90s right?
people don't bother actually researching, they would rather just hit share because it fits their world view rather than make sure sometime is true.

Reactions: Rizzo

·
Watcher.
40,431 Posts
It was a territory.'08.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,224 Posts
I am awed at the resolve our Country mustered after the attack...I think the Lord was definitely with us as we faced a war against 2 major enemies. I also shudder when I see how far we have sunk...how we have allowed a virus I believe was intentionally loosed upon the world, to cow us and cause many to hide under their beds. What we do if we actually had to fight another "real" war...I cannot see our "soft" population making the sacrifices needed to win another global conflict.
But, as I have said, [we] are the longest democratic republic in the history of mankind, and we are making the same mistakes which signaled the demise of the previous such empires. I am content that I am at the end of my "run" and blessed to have lived during the time I did.

·
Registered
26,760 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
First off, my father didn't tell me this - a few years after he died I ordered a copy of his service record, and I pieced it together. He was definitely part of that quiet generation - he never talked about his time in the Navy. He did 20 years active duty, 1935 to 1955. His final post was training recruits at Bainbridge NTC, in Maryland.

He enlisted 1935 at age 18 in San Diego. His first post was aboard the battleship California. He was on California until October 1941, when he was temporarily transferred for training in Washington DC. About 6 weeks later the ship he had been on for 6 years was sunk at Pearl Harbor. He continued in the Pacific through the war and was also out there for Korea.

Sure wish I knew this long ago so I could talk with him about it.

·
NRA Life Member
28,938 Posts
I didn't know any of this, mostly because it is completely false. Seriously does anyone actually research stuff or do the just post it without doing any fact checking.

Which parts ?

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
9,107 Posts

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Japan never paid for their war crimes.I think they were let off easy.
That's due to Gen. Douglas MacArthur's wisdom, and as a result today's Japan is not only a powerful economic engine but a staunch ally of America. With the growing Chinese Communist threat Japan is on the verge of quickly becoming a huge military counterbalance to them in the Far Pacific.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
That's true as far as that goes but there were a lot of atrocities committed against our guys. Barbaric actually. Just look into some of the accounts on a website Pacific Wrecks. No they were let off real easy.
You do know what happened to the Japanese after WW2? Have you googled about the War Crimes Trials in Asia?

Also how many of those Japanese that did atrocities to GIs SURVIVED on those islands? We were very good at NOT taking prisoners to...

Personally I think the Nazis got of easy... The Japanese never did such systematic murder as the German Nazis did. Never.

·
Registered
20,550 Posts
A little while after that my grandfather accidentally destroyed part of Nimitz's wife's victory garden 🤫

21 - 40 of 69 Posts