close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PDA recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

Looking to get a new pda for my wife for her birthday. She has one of the original palm pilots that is finally giving up the ghost.

Here is what she is looking for in a pda:

PC operating system. Specifically, something that syncs closely with outlook without too much hassle.

Good quality color screen.

Pen based input, no keyboard on bottom of unit.

Charging cradles she can put on her work puter and home puter. No messing with plugging the cable into the bottom of the unit. Must be able to drop it into the cradle and let it charge or sync with pc etc. Our puters are all old and don't ir ports and such.

Reasonably small form factor.

Wants to be able to play some simple games on it.

Ability to sync data with like pda through ir.

Price, less then say $350.

What she doesn't need:
    Internet connectivity.
    Phone
    Ability to take pictures.
    Play music.

What do you recommend?

Wayne

2. Glock9mmFan

Glock9mmFan VoteLibertarian

Look at the Palm Tungsten E. AFAIK, it meets all your criteria.

3. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Wayne,

I've been pretty happy with my DELL Axim 624mHz X30. It's priced at $349 and includes WiFi and Bluetooth, but if you have time, watch the Dell site. They have occasional offers on the device.

If she doesn't want WiFi (she really may want that feature later) there are less expensive Axim X30s.

4. Tungsten

Tungsten

A Tungten is PalmOS and does not meet the PocketPC requirement that your wife has expressed.

We use Dell Axim's here and love them. I have the 624MHz X30 and was able to buy it for just under $200 thanks to their recently reduced price structure.

The X50 is slated for release early-to-mid October, thus the X30 is being discounted to make way for it.

5. N2DFire

N2DFire Who Me ???

My g/f was required to buy the Axim for her Paramedic Schooling and thus far she (and I) have been quite happy with it.

She actually uses Outlook to keep her calender & schedule on and it works quite well.

The above comments on price & features are all spot-on as well.

I would also recommend that if you (or she) like my g/f, have the potential for using this thing in a "harsher than normal" environment, then you owe it to yourself to check out an aluminum case made by Rhinoskin. Shop around the web that can be had on the cheap if you look.

6. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

I've got an Ipaq that works great!

The bonus of the "windows OS" is that it syncs seamlessly with Outlook and other windows goodies.

Dell is prebably the least expensive right now...

If you go through my site you can get one right now for $296.00. That is the top of the line one...

Here's the specs:
    The Dell™ 624 MHz Axim™ X30 packs connectivity, productivity and entertainment in a sleek, sophisticated design. Powered by a next generation Intel® XScale® processor with WMMX technology, a 64 MB SDRAM and a 64 MB Intel® StrataFlash® ROM, the device offers great performance. This handheld is equipped with the Microsoft® Windows® Mobile™ 2003 Second Edition operating system and is pre-installed with familiar applications like Word and Excel that help maximize your productivity on the road. The Axim X30 is designed with expandability in mind and includes an integrated Secure Digital / SDIO Now! / MMC card slot for flexible expansion. The integrated Wi-Fi (802.11b) and Bluetooth™ wireless technologies offer flexible connectivity options. This product includes 1-Year Next Business Day Advanced Exchange Service and 1-Year Tech Support.

Go HERE: http://www.isworks.com/affiliate.htm , then click one of the Dell logo's and you'll be taken to the Dell site, go to software and peripherals at the top of the page and it will give you a drop down. Then selct handhelds and Tablet PC's.

You can get $60 bucks off any of he Axioms...

DIG IT!

7. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i have a dell axim that my husband bought for me 2 years ago and i love it.

8. jilverthor

jilverthor

I use a HP2215 (iPaq) and have been very happy with it. It is not quite as fancy as the new Axiom (which is an amazing price by the way), but I like it better for one major reason. The fact that it has two expansion slots. One being compact flash and the other secure Digital. It has built in bluetooth and can be expanded to do just about anything with the other two slots. Also, I like to use it as a remote control for various devices.

Jeff

9. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

Yeah,

I have a 3955, but no built in wireless. And I use the remote feature on all of my stereo stuff...

10. Wayne02

Wayne02

Ok, been looking over the reviews for the axim, and it looks real good. Compact flash slot would be nice as we have a boat load of cf cards that I use in my dslr. But I don't think it would be critical for her use of this pda.

Been looking around the dell site trying to find out how to buy a second docking station. Must be a way, just have not found it yet on their site.

How does the stylus input work on these things? The old palms had an "entry screen" just below the main screen where you would do the graffiti thing. Is the axim like this, or do you just write on the main screen?

Thanks
    Wayne

11. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

When you go to place the order you can "continue shopping" then you can add the cradle. Save your cart first.

Yes, you can use the stylus and it works way better than the palm...

Enjoy...

12. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

My Wife has a Dell Axim - very simple.
    I set it up and all she does is drop it in the cradle and go
    She uses the contacts and Freecell and Jaw breaker.
    No complains Active sync no issues with Outlook 2003.

I am using an Ipaq 6365 - It Rocks. Major Geek Toy.

13. Tungsten

Tungsten

If that is important, hold off a week or two and order the Axim X50 instead. It has both a CF and SD slot built in and also has the higher resolution VGA display. VERY nice from what I have seen.

Pricing will be similar to the X30's pricing structure now, with a low-end, mid-level and high-end model being available. The only differences between them will be CPU speed.

Extra cradle cost me about $30. Just call them to place your order and specify that you want the extra cradle and power supply. You can probably haggle on pricing too since Dell REALLY wants to sell as many X30's as possible before the X50 comes out.

It can actually do either. :)

There is no permanently designated writing space on the screen, but you can toggle a small "window" that rises from the bottom of the screen and either emulates the Palm OS letter recognizer, a hand writing recognizer or a small keyboard. I prefer the Palm style letter recognizer myself.

14. Wayne02

Wayne02

So, last night I was looking at the X30 on dells site, and it was listed on sale for $296. This morning I go back there to buy it, and it is listed for $349????????????????????????

Some of these people who design these cluster F of a website should be shot! I have plenty of dell products, but have never liked the very poorly designed website.

Wayne

15. Tungsten

Tungsten

16. Wayne02

Wayne02

Ok, finally, it's a done deal. Dell should give a 10% discount just for making an attempt at using that poor excuse of a website. It's a damn good thing they have a good product line, because they sure can't do the e-commerce interfaces very well. I swear I found three different prices for the sync cables buried in that maze of a website. One screen had the discount applied, and the next screen it was gone...

At any rate, my wife should be pleased. She is getting the axim for our anniversary, and four 17rd mags for her G17 for her birthday (same day as anniversary).

Tungsten,
    I spent some time on that aximsite forum. You tech guys are a riot. They have all their pda gear listed in their sig lines, pda type, case type, software installed, even screen protector type!^c

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Wayne

17. Tungsten

Tungsten

;z @ geek signatures

You're right on target too. Some of those guys must sleep with their PDA's. Fondle them... do vile things with them that, if discovered, would require a complete re-zoning of their neighborhood and possible protests from church groups. ;e

Hope your wife likes the magazines... and the Axim. ;)

18. beachside39

beachside39

I used my $80 Handspring Deluxe for three years and went to a $400 iPAQ h4350 (rechargeable, color, thumbboard, Windows, Bluetooth, 802.11b, 64mb RAM, 256mb SD chip) a few months ago. It was a quantum leap where I can browse the internet via wireless, store huge data files on an SD chip and use a Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and sync wireless or via charger/cradle plus create/read Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.

After several months, I find that I'm using my PDA once-per-week or less whereas I used the Handspring almost daily. The reason is software. I couldn't figure out how to run my software from the SD card and 64mb RAM wasn't enough to keep it on the computer. I had to delete software to make room for other software and didn't reinstall it again. I never ran out of space on the 16mb Handspring. Odd but true.

There may be a way to run software from the SD but I haven't figured it out and have lost my excitement. I'm seriously considering going back to the Handspring and getting rid of the iPAQ. My problems could very well be operator error but I'm tired of messing with this pretty but non-functional pocket PC.