close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PDA information ???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Redsnake, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Redsnake

Redsnake

I'm looking into getting a PDA to help me stay organized. I have a hard time remembering dates/schedules/etc... unless I'm at work and have it on my outlook calendar. I'd like to get something digital (no old day-timer calenders) to help.

Any PDA's or suggestions as to where to find the best deals? Any particular brands to look out for or to look for?

Thanks.

2. apollyonis

apollyonis

The most recent PDA that I can vouch for is the Palm Tungsten E2 with the GPS. I know that there were some issues with the battery on these units, but mine hasn't had any problems except for the infrequent lockup. This one I've had for...I have to say at least 5 months now. Prior to that I had a Tapwave Zodiac which was exceptional for the time but unfortunately they're not even being made anymore.

Palms are nice but they're still putting OS 5.4 with updates on even the new Treo 700p. Windows PocketPC I had a lot more trouble out of on my Viewsonic a few years ago. There's more software for PocketPC, but...the stability was the issue. There are some Linux alternatives, but those are mostly mini laptop alternatives.

Want to start simple? Get a Z22 Palm or and older model in a pawn shop or maybe even Ebay. That'll get your feet wet and let you decide whether or not you really want a PDA with a price tag that you wouldn't regret (~99 bucks for a new Z22 as opposed to $399 for a base model Dell Axim X51...which you COULD pimp out to cost nearly a grand with all the options).

Edit : The Dell is supposed to be the best Windows based PDA, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much and the bundle I got with the GPS was even less than that!

3. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Depending on your cell service a combo PDA/Phone like a Treo 700 is the way to go imho. You only then have to carry around one device which I find to be a huge plus. If you have an Exchange 2003 server at work both palm and windows devices can sync over the cellular internet wherever you are for not only calendar but email and contacts too. The newest windows ones can have the server push email to them like a blackberry. Or you can still sync to your computer via usb, bluetooth, or ir.