close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PCLinuxOs Help...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Aug 24, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Howdy,
    Well tried several styles and it looks as if PCLinuxOs comes closest out of the box. Can anyone assist me in getting it connected to my wireless network. Initially I'd just like to get online through a wireless router. Also I'm using the Live 93a version. Wish to use at least WPA-PSK if possible. No luck with the configure program though it does see the connection, but when I try 'connect' it locks up. Hopefully just me?!!!?!! Any assistance will be appreciated Kind wizards of Linux.
    pascal

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. pascal

pascal

Rats and Thanks WDC,
    Was wishing that you'all had experience with it. Everything works fine on my main box. If I can get it working on the second machine I'd like to ask you about installing a second 9gig drive and dual booting the W2K. Anyway thanks for the links to the PCLOS forum. Take it easy!
    pascal

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

When installing with Windows on a 2nd drive,make the Windows drive the Slave and the Linux drive the Master.First have the Windows drive as master and the only drive.Then switch it to Slave and add 2nd drive as Master and install Linux and the Linux bootloader on the master drive.This way you will be able to dual boot and the Linux bootloader won't overwrite the Windows boot record.

5. pascal

pascal

Hello again WDC,
    While waiting for a reply on PCLinuxOs forum I decided to try
    Ubuntu again. Had found out how to correct my Screen Resolution problem and darned if I didn't manage to configure the Wireless connection!! Just finished installing and updating Ubuntu. Seem nice but slow. Thanks exceptionally for the tip on hardrives, pulled a 10GB out of an older machine and installed it as master. It configured automatically and put in Grub. Sitting in tall cotton! Thinking now about dumping it and trying Mepis/Kubuntu/Berry/SUSE 10 or who knows. Thanks for the encouragement and help.
    pascal

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

If Ubuntu works for you,you might find more speed with Xubuntu or more useful preinstalled programs with Mepis 6.0.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Personally, I like Xandros and Centos, but Fedora Core 5 is really good, and I find it easier to set up. There's a GREAT unofficial FAQ at http://www.fedorafaq.org/ He really does a good job of explaining how to use Yum, how to install several programs, how to Install Wine, and some other multimedia things. His instructions for Xine didn't work for me, but I was able to download it and its dependencies from Xinehq.com w/o to much effort.

Only thing I found to be a problem, was Fedora kept wanting to overwrite Lilo(which I've got as my boot selector). Even when I kept telling it not to install a boot loader, it would try to install it anyways.

DC...

I do have a question about Fedora 5(I've saw you make references to it before). I downloaded Wine, and installed Pokerstars. Unfortunately though,to start Pokerstars, I have to go through the Applications menu/System Tools/Wine Files.. Then Navigate through there to my Pokerstars.exe file, and double click it to start Pokerstars. I've tried linking it to the desktop, short cuts, copy/paste, etc, and it just won't. Google wasn't much help.

Its not "THAT" big of a deal, but it would be nice to either link it through a menu, or on the desktop...

Thanks
    IGF