PCLinuxOS 2007

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rhinodogg, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Rhinodogg

Rhinodogg Crooked Member

I'm wanting to put PCLinuxOS 2007 on my laptop that currently has vista. Is there anything that I need to know before I do this? :shocked:

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

First thing to know, PCLinuxOS sucks? :)

I'm not a huge fan of PCLinuxOS, but its quite popular. Dual booting with Vista has caused issues with several distributions, not sure if PCLOS is one of them.

Just make sure everything is backed up so if you have a problem, you can get back to where you started.

IGF

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

PCLinuxOS is one of the few versions of Linux that will boot directly to my new laptop. The problem with dual booting is resizing the Vista partition.

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista/#comment-5369

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista/#comment-10749

The steps are:

disable system restore (this can such up to 15% of the partition size!)
    use perfectdisk trialware to resize/defrag vista ntfs partition

Grub may have a problem installing with the dual boot. Here is some help pages. I think it sometimes doesn't find the Master Boot Record section of the disk but it may not be a problem.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622

The other Live Linux that will boot to my new laptop is Bluewhite64 Linux. It's a live 64 bit Mini DVD based on Slackware 12.0. The live DVD doesn't have an installer but the website has instructions to install from the live DVD and the install CD's can be used but the install DVD download is often corrupted. It may not be as easy to use as PCLinuxOS but it's powerful. Do not use the Linux partitioning tools to resize Vista. Vista has it's own partitioner but will only allow no less than 90GB for Vista. That may leave enough for your Linux side though. If you try Ubuntu people are having better luck with 7.04 than 7.10 on the new laptops.

4. Rhinodogg

Rhinodogg Crooked Member

Is it possible to just get rid of vista and run Linux solo? I'm new to this Linux game.

What versions of Linux would either of you recommend?

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Getting rid of Windows and just running Linux is the easiest way to go. The really new laptops are touchy about Linux because not all of the newest hardware is recognized. What make and model laptop do you have? What processor, graphics card and wireless card does it have?

6. Rhinodogg

Rhinodogg Crooked Member

Acer Aspire 5610
    Intel Core Duo T2250
    1 GB Memory (up to 4 GB)
    Intel 945GM integrated 3D graphics
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Sounds like a fairly new one. The ones that first came out in Jan 2007 seem well supported but the one that are about 6 months newer have some issues. The graphics and wireless you have aren't too difficult. If the T2250 is a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo it should be fairly easy. The early Core 2 duo's are easy also but the latest ones can be a problem. It looks like you won't have too many issues. For starters you try one of more complete desktop versions of Linux. Mint Linux might be a good one to start. It's based on Ubuntu and now has an Xfce version. This is the name of the desktop interface it uses. The standard version uses Gnome desktop which might be a bit easier to use but Xfce is faster. It doesn't run as a live CD like some of the others though.

8. Rhinodogg

Rhinodogg Crooked Member

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've found jumping feet first into Linux and completely abandoning Windows, is almost ALWAYS a recipe for failure. I've just saw to many people do it, and fail. While most things work almost perfectly, almost everyone will always find some software that they must have, that they can't get to work. They'll find some hardware they "must have" that they can't get to work.

I dual booted various distributions for ages before switching completely to Linux. Then I got a TomTom One XL GPS device as a gift last month(awesome GPS if you're considering one). I tried getting it to work with Linux for about a week, and was marginally successful, but downloading new Maps, etc, was still extremely problematic. I tried running it with XP running in Vmware, it worked, but was horribly slow. So for the first time in 2yrs, I've got Windows again. I've now got a 20gig partition for XP, and the remaining 230gigs for Ubuntu. Only thing XP has on it is the software for the TomTom, and I really don't plan on putting anything else there.

IGF

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's a lot of distributions you can try. If you're completely new to the game(which i just realized after re-reading).... Just boot some various Live CD's for a while and get the feel of it. Remember, ITS NOT WINDOWS.

Any of the Ubuntu's are a good place to start.(Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu). If you want something that is still fairly easy to use, but doesn't baby you quite as much as the *buntus, Debian Etch is very good. Mint is a good suggestion, I personally don't care much for it, but it does work well.

I've got Ubuntu 7.04 running on my PC, and Debian Etch running on my Laptop. If you go with Ubuntu or Debian, even if your PC is 64bit capable, stick with the 32bit versions. The 64bit versions just aren't ready yet, and you end up jumping through hoops to make something as simple as Flash and other browser plugins work. I've been thinking of switching my Laptop to either Slackware or Zenwalk, but as of yet, haven't.

IGF

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

13. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I was going to jump in & say I like PCLinuxOS, when I noticed I'm not actually running it in the three DTs I have on Linux... (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, & Mepis are current.) PCLinux is on a HD on the shelf, but hasn't managed to get put back in a machine..
    You're right.. carry on.. :supergrin:

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

15. Guod

Guod

I run linux on a daily basis, but I also use vista on a daily basis. Unfortunately I still need both tools, but it seems there are always things I need and prefer linux for, and things I need and prefer windows for.