GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here on GT there was a recent thread asking which you prefer for home defense a PCC or Shotgun. I read the thread and learned a lot. I already have a 12ga (Benelli Nova Tactical) and now looking at a rifle. I do not own a rifle.

I am over fifty, obese, high blood pressure and live in a condo where the longest distance would be between 8-10 yards. I have decided rather than a rifle caliber rifle or pistol a smooth shooting pistol caliber carbine and a gym membership are what I want. My question to you all is caliber related. Would you recommend 9mm or 40S&W from a 16" PCC?

This is a HD only gun. A person in my shape won't be needing a bug out/walk out gun. If I need to walk out/bug out I wouldn't last a mile in Miami weather.

Reactions: MarkCO and cbetts1

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Here on GT there was a recent thread asking which you prefer for home defense a PCC or Shotgun. I read the thread and learned a lot. I already have a 12ga (Benelli Nova Tactical) and now looking at a rifle. I do not own a rifle.

I am over fifty, obese, high blood pressure and live in a condo where the longest distance would be between 8-10 yards. I have decided rather than a rifle caliber rifle or pistol a smooth shooting pistol caliber carbine and a gym membership are what I want. My question to you all is caliber related. Would you recommend 9mm or 40S&W from a 16" PCC?

This is a HD only gun. A person in my shape won't be needing a bug out/walk out gun. If I need to walk out/bug out I wouldn't last a mile in Miami weather.
Good choice/thinking.

For indoor HD use I would recommend 9mm for reduced muzzle blast. The terminal effectiveness boost from the 16" barrel will get the 9mm up close to .357 Mag performance anyway. More than sufficient for your needs, especially since, at that distance, the carbine will allow you to place multiple rounds on target in small groups, as fast as you can pull the trigger.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Good choice/thinking.

For indoor HD use I would recommend 9mm for reduced muzzle blast. The terminal effectiveness boost from the 16" barrel will get the 9mm up close to .357 Mag performance anyway. More than sufficient for your needs, especially since, at that distance, the carbine will allow you to place multiple rounds on target in small groups, as fast as you can pull the trigger.
16” is overkill for 9mm. You might want to consider a RONI Glock attachment. 8” barrel will help in closer quarters and get almost everything out of the 9mm cartridge.

Honestly if you are thinking 8-10 yard distances, I’d pribably stick with a handgun.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd recommend getting outside for some exercise and building some pistol skills.
I think you hit it on the head. I agree and started walking daily and very light dumbell exercises. I took a few pistol classes and learned a lot and plan to take a few more. I'm in NY so no guns or shooting right now so I walk.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Either will work but there is a better selection of 9 mm PCCs than there is for .40 S&W.

You will typically gain 150-200 fps give or take with a 16" barrel over a handgun depending on load and pistol barrel length. This will boost velocity and projectile momentum with most loads up close to 357 SIG values, but probably not 357 Magnum values. Regardless, you can expect excellent terminal ballistics from either.

Most people expect pistol caliber carbines to be light recoiling, and they are, but perhaps not as much as you might expect. Many PCCs use a direct blow-back action with a heavy bolt for inertia, and that heavy bolt slamming back does produce some recoil. Obviously, this recoil energy is going to increase as one increases caliber from 9mm to .40 S&W to .45 ACP. I have two 9 mm PCCs, both direct blow-back, and the recoil from either seems to me to be just about as great as with my 16" AR carbine shooting 5.56x45, still light-recoiling for most folks, but not inconsequential.

The two 9mm PCCs I own are the Hi-Point TS995 and the Ruger PCC 9. Although the Ruger cost me nearly twice as much as the Hi-Point I regard it as vastly superior in many ways, and would strongly recommend it over the Hi-Point. I have found the Hi-Point 10 round, single-stack magazines (the only ones they make for the TS995) to be inconsistent in quality and problematical. The Red Ball 20 round magazine that I have has worked well, but it sticks way down out of the magazine well. This would be problematical if you had to shoot from a prone position. The overall design, manufacture, and controls of the TS995 also leaves something to be desired. The ability of the Ruger to accept nearly every variety of Glock 9 mm double-stack magazines is a great advantage.

Here is an interesting short video of chronograph and ballistic gel testing of a 180 grain .40 S&W JHP comparing performance in a pistol and 16" PCC:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkzO4dCv_A

·
On the Border
15,281 Posts
I think you hit it on the head. I agree and started walking daily and very light dumbell exercises. I took a few pistol classes and learned a lot and plan to take a few more. I'm in NY so no guns or shooting right now so I walk.
I'm serious. Pistol is where you want to be for your situation. Let is be a catalyst to get you outdoors and moving around. Consider approaching it from a sporting angle as well as a defensive angle.

Check out some of the vid's in my link below. Practical pistol is a very interesting activity just from a developmental standpoint. 2 birds/1 stone. Get outside!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'd recommend getting outside for some exercise and building some pistol skills.
I must of missed the part where the OP asked for a condescending comment about their fitness level and shooting ability. Self defense is not just for people that are willing to live in gym when they are not at the range.

I would go with a 9mm. Ammo is cheap and out of a 16 inch carbine both recoil and muzzle blast will be mild. Any ammo should be OK for practice but for home defense you would probably want to choose hollow points that will not break up when driven faster than normal. I am not sure what type of ammo meets that criteria but I bet there are videos somewhere on YouTube that test HP ammo out of carbines.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For some of the same reasons cited by others, 9mm for me. FWIW, while I enjoy the pistol caliber carbines recreationally, I've never been tempted to use a PCC, or any long gun for that matter, for a HD firearm. While employed in LE, I searched many structures during all hours of the day and night. Unless ordered otherwise, I was armed with a handgun. It was the firearm I trained with the most, was most proficient with, was the smallest, quickest handling, was the most difficult for an assailant to gain control of in close quarters, etc. I have no argument with the probable majority who may prefer other firearms and/or calibers. Just my 2¢ worth.........ymmv

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
A PCC might be in part of what a pain it is to get a pistol here in NY.

But if you have a handgun, get a PCC in the same caliber.

If you are in NYC, remember that long guns are limited to a 5 round capacity . Yep. 5 rounds.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Home defense needs vary greatly from person to person. If you need to go room to room, clearing a house, going around corners, transitioning from one shooting hand to the other, and potentially keeping one hand free to pull a youngster to safety, you are probably better off with a handgun.

But if you live alone or do not have loved ones that you expect to move to in order to protect, you are nearly always better off from a survival standpoint to take up a static position, preferably with at least concealment if not cover, and draw a bead on the likely avenue of approach. In the latter case, many folks are going to be more accurate with a PCC than with a pistol. But there is no reason you can't have a loaded pistol at hand in that static position, and if the pistol and carbine are chambered in the same caliber and accept the same magazines, so much the better.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My daughter loves her Beretta Storm in 9mm. She shots it very well. My wife has an ATI 9mm PCC and likes it. I have Freedom FX-9 PCC, I like it. Also, the JRC 9mm Takedown model is nice.

It is nice to live in a time when there are so many options that you can find one that meets your needs and desires.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have a PCC in 9mm for cheap/fun shooting, but the geek in me wonders if the 40 S&W can benefit more from a longer barrel then the 9, with the right loading.

Either would work fine, I think, if you can put them in the right place. Reliability of feeding, firing, ejecting would be far and away your biggest concern if using it for defense.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts