PC "Troubleshooter" Application

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by saber41, Mar 13, 2005.

1. saber41

saber41 Guest

I was at the local PC store the other day with a friend of mine who was picking up an assembled barebones system (Case,MB,CPU,RAM). The kid at the store said that after the system was assembled it passed a battery of tests.

Curious...I asked what exactly do they test. The kid said that as part of the burn in process they use a software application that runs a variety of tests on the computer in order to check it out before they sell it. They also use the software for diagnostic testing on FUBARed systems.

I asked what the app was and the kid said "Troubleshooter", he said that the store had been using it for a couple of years and it costs about $200. That was about all the info I could get out of the kid. The PC store I was at is a local PC repair shop that also sells parts, they are somewhat understandably reluctant to give out specific details about the tools that they use or their vendors.

Anyway, the app sounded like it might be a good tool to have so when I got home I Googled for it. Unfortunatly I really did not find any good info on this perticular application.

Has anyone heard of the "Troubleshooter" application or other similar diagnostic software ?? Any comments on these types of applications is appreciated...

2. saber41

saber41 Guest

Also, I forgot to add that since my friends barebones system had no HDD, floppy, or optical drives, the kid said that they connected a CD drive and booted from that in order to run the "Troubleshooter" application.

I was also told that you can boot the app from the CD or Floppy.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

>>cough cough "YEAH RIGHT!!!" cough<<[​IMG]

Since I have never heard of that app (and such a thing would be fairly useless anyway) my guess is that either it wasn't tested at all or only in a very cursory way.

Besides, they would have no reason whatsoever not to be open and forthright about their testing procedures, as the client is PAYING for that service and anything this company tests with would not be in any way proprietary.

Did that barebones have a video card installed?

If not, and if they did any testing beyond making sure the case leads were attached properly, my guess is that they used a seconhand CD drive and an old FX5200 card and a copy of Knoppix or BartPE to see if it would actually recognize everything that had been installed.

And last I heard, both those apps were FREE...

4. saber41

saber41 Guest

It has audio, video, and nic all on board.

I was also a little suspect, especially after I could not find any info on a $200 application.

5. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM