PC Simulators for IFR Training / GPS

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ChinaCave, May 11, 2005.

1. ChinaCave

ChinaCave

I am looking at buying one of the PC based sims to use for IFR training, and I would like some advice / input / comments on what you have liked or not liked about the contenders - MS Flite simulator, On Top 8.0, or Elite Core - I played with MSFS some years ago, with only a joystick, and never got it set up - any comments would be appreciated..

Also, trying to master the Garmin 430, I have not been too pleased with the downloadable sim from the Garmin site, and wondered if anyone has used the Vflite Sim / instruction or the ASA GPS Tutorial.

Any help greatly appreciated before I drop an (additional) pile of dough into this gaping maw of a project!

CC

2. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

I like X-Plane. The flight model is superior to that of MSFS in my opinion.

3. ChinaCave

ChinaCave

I would also really appeciate any directions to on-line comparisons of simulators for IFR training and currency - Aviation Consumer last did one in 1998, I believe...

Thanks again

4. IslandHopper

IslandHopper

5. Pilot007

Pilot007

I have been really happy with MS Flight Sim. Thousands of downloads are available for aircrafts, locations, airports, anything you can think of. The also have a way of integrating the Garmin 430/530 instructional program into the cockpit of any flight sim plane, and use all the features. The latest version FS2004 actually uses the Garmin 530, but not all features are working. I have heard rumors from Flight Sim developers that a newer edition will be available later this year. Hope this helps.