close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PC review sites?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

Looking to buy a new pc, probably from costco. They offer gateway and hp in store, and dell online. Looking for reviews on the specific units costco carries. Not interested in building my own, want to get this task completed this week.

Thanks
    Wayne

2. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

Gateway is ok.

I haven’t worked with HP in a long time, so I can honestly say that I don’t know. \

Now as for DELL, no.

Stay away from DELL for two reasons.

1) Piss poor customer service. Search for my posting dealing with Dell and a small local business. They purchased a power edge network server that costed over five thousand dollars, AND six complete office computers. That’s a lot of money, and yet Dell gave them horror able service. If $10,000 buys crappy service, how good will the service be on your $800.00 computer?

2) Special power supplies. The two most common problems on computers, (at least in FL) are hard drives wearing out, and power supplies burning out. If you need a new power supply for DELL or E-Machines, you can’t just go to the computer store and replace it because they wire their power supplies differently. You need to buy THEIR supply. (I hear there is an adapter plug, but honestly why bother.)

Due to my experience with them, I’m now steering clients away from Dells.

K

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've had a less than desirable experience working with HP's, but its been ages. At least 6-7yrs, so I imagine(hopefully) things have changed.

I'd probably recommend Gateway of the ones you listed.

IGF

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Here's the gist of it:

Get a Gateway, Dell or HP if you want to make sure your local techs have fat wallets. Be sure to save some $$$ for the proprietary parts you'll need to order from that organization at between 5x-10x their normal price.

Or, you could:

Buy the parts and have a real PC assembled--or do it yourself, if you know which end of the screwdriver to use on the screws. We have helped dozens of fast, new PCs into the world here at Tech Talk, you know. No fears there!

That way there is no spyware, 'Trial Offer Software' that immediately strongarms you for payment, or atrociously-expensive-yet-insanely-lousy antivirus apps installed.

A big part of my job is de-OEMing new machines. And a big part of THAT is properly removing the Norton or McAfee Virus Demos.

All of the parts used to build real PCs have their own warranties--and those are often much longer than the two-year warranty an OEM will sell you for $300 over the purchase price!

Plus, all OEM computers are alike within their tier--they are machines that must work yet must also undercut the price of the competition if they are to sell.

And how else to do that but to offshore tech support and buy the cheapest possible components?!?

I will even steer my least-favorite people away from those miserable excuses for personal computers. My reputation demands it.

Do as you will.