close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pc Problem please help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by djackson, Jan 6, 2010.

1. djackson

djackson CLM

I am having problems with my home computer and have a question hopefully someone can enlighten me.

PC will power on, but the screen light stay yellow. It keeps a total black screen, when the monitor cord is unplugged it will come on and show Cord Unplugged or something along those lines.

I have taken advise from a co-worker and purchased a new power supply and new video card, these have both been installed but with no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. srhoades

srhoades

The computer is not posting. Unplug it, open it up and take out the battery on the motherboard for about a minute. Replace it and then see if it will start like it should. If not, try removing RAM one stick at a time (with the power off) and see if it will boot then. Otherwise the motherboard is most likely dead.

3. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

hey man. Crap. Somtimes computers do this. Evidently the signal is telling the monitor to go to sleep..so that is why when you unplug the monitor...it turns back on. Sometimes computers do this...not sure why. I guess maybe keep on playing with it for now. wish i had more info for ya

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

What happens when you power the computer? Do you hear the fans and hard drive spinning? Do you hear any beeps?

5. djackson

djackson CLM

yes fan/hd start, i tried plugging monitor into another pc and the monitor works.

I only have the one stick of RAM memory in.

6. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Try booting to a bootable floppy disc or CD and tell us what happens.

What's the computers make and model number?

7. djackson

djackson CLM

The motherboard is Gigabyte model ga-8ie533. I didn't see any sign of leakage or anything from capicators.

I get nothing when trying to use a bootable disk or cd

8. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Did you unplug the PC, pull the BIOS battery out (looks like a watch battery), wait 5 minutes, put it back in, plug the PC back in and then turn it on?

9. djackson

djackson CLM

no i didn't but i will give it a try

10. djackson

djackson CLM

That was a no go aswell, it is looking like the motherboard is shot to me. Anyone else with any other ideas?

11. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

It's either your board, RAM or Chip. Time to do some "monkey maintainence" if you have spare parts or access to friends who might. You might, also, consider taking it to a "mom and pop" shop nearby who can swap parts on it.

Notice I didn't say "take it to BestBuy and let the Geek Squad look at it" because I don't hate you. M&P shops usually have a couple of talented underachievers who can diagnose your problem for 40 bucks.

One last thing I'll suggest, open it up and un-plug:
    All data cables to drives, optical and hard
    Memory
    Video card
    any other PCI cards
    Essentially you want nothing plugged into the motherboard except for the power leads from the power supply. (leave the CPU and heatsink alone.)

Put the memory back in to a different slot than it currently is

Put the video card back in (a different slot if one is available) and make sure it's seated firmly.

Plug nothing else in.

Try to POST it again.

I know it sounds silly but, I've fixed a couple of boxen that way. If it POSTs plug things back in one at a time until it fails or everything is plugged back in, whichever comes first. If it fails halfway the last thing you plugged in is prolly your culprit.

Motherboards do go bad, as do CPUs and RAM, it's just darned uncommon.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010