PC help... "PC in Safe Mode. Click Mouse or touch keyboard..."

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Redsnake, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Redsnake

Redsnake

We just moved into a new home and I finally got to hook up my PC and get back online via home use... Well, I got everything hooked up and was unable to get booted up.

I have a black screen on my Monitor. I figured my cable or something had gone bad. My Dell 18" flat panel moniter has digital and analog set ups so I hooked up the analog to see if it would work and got the same thing. Took my wifes monitor (w/was already hooked up on her PC and working) and got the same thing w/her monitor.

When I booted up first time I got what appeared to be a matrix looking green screen for a moment b4 jiggling and reconnecting my monitor cable. Then I got no responce. I hit the 'deguase' button and two sentences popped up in white writing on my screen (pulling f/memory so not sure if this is exactly what it said... but something like ('In power save mode' on the first line... then 'Press any key or move mouse.') I've tried everything I know of. It sounds like the HD is booting and the lights on the back of my PC are all flashing like normal. Could it be my video card? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm not sure if I shut-down my PC correctly before unplugging everything. I think I did... but it could have just been 'logged off' and not 'shut down'. I'm running Windows XP and my Dell 8200 Desktop is about 3 yrs old... not new, but still had been working like a top. Not sure of all the other details of my PC off the top of my head.

Any help or links to help are appreciated. I can't call Dell because my PC isn't under warranty currently.

Thanks all.

2. Mterada

Mterada

pull out the plug from the computer after turning it off

then reseat your ram sticks, graphics card and any pci cards inside. something probably got jiggled loose when you were moving.

3. Redsnake

Redsnake

Any tips on taking the 'case' or whatever it's called apart on my PC. It's a Dell 8200... not sure if that helps.

I had thought about slipping the cover off and seeing if it was something as simple as coming loose or unplugged.

Thanks again.

4. Lemur

Lemur

Dell cases are pretty easy to open. You don't have to remove any screws, just push in tabs on both sides of the case, and then the whole case opens up, almost like a binder. If you are going to touch anything inside the computer, make sure you ground yourself first by touch the metal part of the chassis. I would then check to make sure the video card (should be in one of the PCI slots) is fully seated in the connector on the motherboard. Make sure the video cable isn't damaged and is fully connected as well.

5. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

Still need help??

6. Redsnake

Redsnake

I haven't had a chance to get home and try out these suggestions, but if you have any other suggestions/ideas I'd be more than happy to take them and add to my list of things to check.

Always nice to get honest and helpful suggestions f/my fellow firearms enthusiasts... :)

7. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

Well judging by the CCW Thesis thread there are alot of IT guys on this board, I happen to be one of them. Sounds like a simple problem, especially if it worked right before you moved your computer. Two things:

1. Some Dells come with two video outputs, make sure you are using the PCI output and not the motherboard if so.

2. But it sounds like you are using DVI so the above shouldn't apply. It's the white plug and there's only one slot on the back that it will fit. SO.... it's probably the monitor, it has the ability to switch between DVI and VGA inputs. Hit all three buttons on the flat screen (one at a time, I'm not sure which one does it, I think it's the minus - button, also has a picture of a rectangle with an arow pointing into it right above it)and see if you can switch back over to DVI.

Number 2 is probably the problem. Hope you get it working.

8. DrJRiddle

DrJRiddle Uffda!

As long as you have it open, take a can of compressed air and blow all the dust bunnies out of it.

9. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

Ohh and I wouldn't open it up just yet, the problem is MOST likely NOT internal, that stuff is pretty well locked down in there.

10. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

Well the above is a good idea...... the dust does get thick.

11. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?

Loose AGP video card. Happens all the time. Remove and reseat.

12. Redsnake

Redsnake

If by chance my video card is the culprit and is shot... any suggestions for a good replacement that is decent for gaming... but also a decent price.

Thanks.

13. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?

Edit, good link above. Be sure to ground yourself before poking around in there. Dont run across the carpet and plod down to do work...zzzt. pop.

Video card:
    It wont be shot. Happens all the time when moving PCs. Someting about the high number of pins per inch on those AGP bus's.

Open case. Unscrew video card. Pull the pittle pin do-hickey out (its spring loaded). Pull card out with other hand. Let go of do-hickey. Re seat card firmly. Replace screw.

Get band aid for hand that was holding card as it got raked by pointy metal objects while holding card at high speed....

But if you need a new card....all the new ones are more than decent for gaming. Just a matter of $$$ how super duper you want to go.

Cant go wrong with Nvidia products IMO.

Good luck.

14. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

It's Dell... no screw on PCI slots... Green Clip.

15. Redsnake

Redsnake

Thanks again for the info... I opened up my Dell case last night and noticed that everything appeared to be plugged in and in tact. Although I hadn't recieved your additional information to pull the video card out and then reinstall... so I didn't do that.

I'll mess w/it again this afternoon when I get home f/work.

On the back of my PC... all 4 of my diagnostic lights are lit up... the "A, B, C, D" lamps are all on green.

It is amazing just how much dust can accumulate in the box and the PC still work... lol.

I'll report back after I try taking the video card out and then reinstalling it back.

16. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?

Yeah, what you said. I just looked at the adding AGP cards info.

I like to live in the world of non-propriatary systems as much as possible. Dell (and others) just reinvent what is already perfectly usable. Although I do curse the engineers that made the molex connectors sometimes....or the pin jumper....or the drive rail....or the USB port (cant tell top from bottom).

Dsubs could be better designed too...

17. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

It wasn't the monitor input selector??? I thought I had a winner with that one. ;-)

18. Redsnake

Redsnake

Well the Monitor has 3 lights in the lower right... Power, (not sure what the other two are) and the two unknown lights go back and forth a few times, then turn off. If I push either of those buttons the same 'error' message appears

'In power save mode' on the first line... then 'Press any key or move mouse.'

Of course doing either of these does absolutely nothing. I'm tempted to just go and buy me a new video card (even if my current one is ok, but needs to be unplugged and replugged) as this would give me an 'excuse' to spend some money and the misses wouldn't be upset... :D

19. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?