PC can't get on `net but laptop can??????

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JCM298, Mar 25, 2005.

1. JCM298

JCM298

We have Cox Cable with two computers, a PC and a laptop, hooked in to a Linksys wireless router. My wife who uses IE, and will not change to Firefox, can not access the net from her PC. She also can not get on AOL.

I have no problem getting on with Firefox, IE, or AOL. I'm using the laptop and a Linksys wireless system.

When I check Internet Options on the PC, I get the following message:

This operation has been cancelled due to
    restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
    contact your system administrator.

My wife is listed as Administrater for the PC but has never made any changes.

The PC is networked to her office from our home and when she logs on to her office site, she can get on the net via IE. That round about system works and she can access the net without any problem.

When I check the Control Panel>Internet Options, I find that her home page is "gray" as are the boxes for Use Current, Use Default, Use Blank. I can't get those areas to 'high light" so I can check them.

Can anybody explain how I can get the PC back on the net? Usually, I have problems with the laptop but it's working fine.

My wife has checked with Cox: All OK. I've reset the router, tried all four outlets (?), dis-connected and re-connected all cables and still can't get it to work.

The PC has Windows XP Office and the laptop has XP Home.

Thanks for reading this,

John

2. echo99

echo99

Sounds like a few things are happening, you say she can get online from work but not at home? Has it ever worked from home??

I am thinking the NIC is not releasing the IP address from work and in turn can not get a new IP address from you home router. Go to a cmd and do a ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew and verify you can ping the router. If the current home page is grayed out that has to do with rights or is in need of a policy modification or update.

the message This operation has been cancelled due to

Is kinda flaky, it may or may not be a rights thing, it may be spyware screwing around, I would run adaware (several times) and then check it. Spyware can lock you out from the homepage as well. Will take some time to fix problem, but it is fixable.

3. JCM298

JCM298

cho99,

I'll have to clarify. She works out of our home on a PC and connects, via Cox Cable, to her office. Once connected to her office, she has the option of working in the office files, or she can get on the web/internet because her desktop gives her access to IE.

I'm a computer dummy. What's a NIC?

The following is Greek to me:

"Go to a cmd and do a ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew and verify you can ping the router."

I know you are trying to tell me to do something but I have no idea what you want me to do. I'm new to these "devil's devices" and don't know the terms used, so please bear with me.

Since the PC belongs to the company, I don't really like to mess with it. I'll have to see if it has Adaware. I know how to run that if it's there.

This problem was noticed a day or two ago. She seldom goes on the Internet so it could have cropped up a week ago.

Thanks for the response,

John

4. greenlead

greenlead

I think the problem may be related to AOL modifying the available options, or otherwise interfering with the connection.

5. echo99

echo99

Okay Im doing my best to understand this one, when you say shes is at home but connects to her work pc, are u saying she dials (uses the modem) to get into the work network? And that is how she is able to see her files and use the internet? And when she attemps to use your home router/cable modem it will not connect to the web, regardless of what browser is in use IE or FF?

When I say NIC, it means your network card (network interface card). Not to go too greek on you, but if you have XP most network settings should be detected by XP (leaves you little to worry about) If this problem just started, you must think backwards what happened before the problem started. Checking your network address, goto Start, run, type cmd,,,,black window opens, type ipconfig, it will either tell you an IP address, or say media disconnected, along those lines. If you get an IP address, type ipconfig/ release ( clearing the NIC) then type ipconfig /renew ( reissuing a new address to the NIC, from the router) Make a note of the Gateway address that is your router address. Type ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX <<< the gateway address. Verify it comes back with 4 replies.

If this works, type ping www.yahoo.com (somthing simple) verify it also replies 4 times.

If it is able to reply you are are the internet (pending you are using cable modem/dsl.) You can try all this with your laptop so you see the outcome, so you know how it should look when u do it with the desktop. I am going through these steps to establish some type of base.

6. NGWT

NGWT

This may get you past the "internet options" problem.

Does your wife use a VPN client and does she login to a domain?

7. JCM298

JCM298

echo99, NGWT, & greenlead,

Last night, the PC went crazy and we could not even log onto the network that the PC is connected to. The laptop also went out of whack and I shut everything down, dis-connected the power supply to the Linksys router and let it rest.

Now I'm on the laptop and it seems to be working fine. Later today, I'll try to follow your directions and get to the bottom of this. If your fixes don't do the trick, I'll uninstall/re-install the router to see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the help. I still hate these "devil's devices".

John

8. JCM298

JCM298

echo99,

I followed your directions & found the IP address. It showed:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address..........................: 192.XXX.1.200
    Subnet Mask.........................: 255.XXX.255.0
    Default Gateway.....................: 192.XXX.1.1

I entered the ipconfig/ release and got this:

Error: unrecognized or incomplete command line.

I tried again and got this:

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

I am going to wire the PC direct from the Cox modem to the PC and by-pass the Linksys router. If that works, then I know the router is doing something strange.

Thanks again,

John

9. JCM298

JCM298

echo99,

I wired the modem direct to the PC and I'm now on the laptop, via AOL dial-up. When I tried to get the PC on the Internet, I got the same response:

This page cannot be displayed etc.

When I check Tools> Internet Options, I get this again:

This operation has been cancelled due to

To my non-computer literate mind, this indicates that the PC has a setting that is preventing it from doing anything with Internet connections but the router "appears" to be working, at least with the laptop.

Looks like I need a computer geek from my wife's office to make a house call. On the other hand, PC's, routers, laptops, modems, etc make good targets. Which gun should I use, which caliber, revolver or pistol.......decisions, decisions, decisions!

John

10. JCM298

JCM298

echo99,

I disconnected Cox, pluged my phone line into the PC, and now I'm on the PC via AOL dial up. The laptops still running on wifi and the PC is working on AOL dial up.I minimized AOL and was able to get IE to work but it was slow because of dial up.

Other than telling me that the system is messed up and not working properly, does this indicate anything?

My next step is to compare the Internet settings on the PC to the settings on my laptop. Maybe I'll see a difference in the settings.

Any other suggestions? More and more target practice is looking better and better. I can always go to the public library to read.

I'm still plodding along with these damned "devil'devices",

John

11. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

If you are running XP on the desktop, check to see if it is running SP2 (service pack 2). Right click on My Computer on your desktop (or it might be in the Start menu, click Start, find My Computer, and right click on it). Go to Properties, and it will open up a screen showing the System Properties. Under the General tab (where is should be by default), it will show the Operating System. It'll say Windows XP Home, and tell you the service pack. If you are running SP2, it might have the firewall enabled (that was one of the new features of SP2). To disable that, you will have to open up the properties of the NIC (network card). Go to My Network Places on your desktop (or click Start to find it), right click on My Network PLaces, and go to properties. Go to the advanced tab and there will be something called Internet Connection Firewall. Make sure there is no check in there! If there is, that's probably the issue with your desktop.

12. JCM298

JCM298

Cryptoboy,

Thanks. I just checked the PC and it has Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1. The laptop has Service Pack 2 because when it became available, I accidently hit the update icon and Microsoft installed it,

John

13. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

"ipconfig/ release"

That line contains bad syntax and is not a valid switch.

The space should be between the 'ipconfig' and the fwd slash, with NO spaces between the slash and the release...

Then use ipconfig /renew and see if that helps!!

14. NGWT

NGWT

Sorry, I meant to give you a link with my post. At this point, though, if you just input this error into a google search line and add the word - spybot - you'll get some hits.

Probably won't get you on the net, but it's a step.

When your laptop is connected to your broadband, what address does it give you?

15. JCM298

JCM298

NGWT,

I can't get to either spybot or google because I can't get online.

The laptop has the same address as the PC except for the third digit from the far right. It show "1" instead of "2".

"Does your wife use a VPN client and does she login to a domain?"

All I know is that she clicks an icon, gets taken to a network connection with her office, logs in, and goes to work.

fastvfr,

I tried your suggestion and got the same reply:

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

Thanks to both of you,

John

16. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Time to go to Spybot on your laptop them John and download it. Copy it to a floppy or USB drive to transfer it to the desktop (or if you can, transfer it via network). Install it and see what it finds. Good luck!

17. JCM298

JCM298

My daughter and son-in-law will be here today. They both know more about these "devil's devices" than I. They'll work on it and try to fix it.

Thanks for all the help,

John

18. JCM298

JCM298

I had the "kids" check out the PC. They both agree that something is wrong but can't figure out what it is. We've agreed to let the computer guru at her office try to figure it out,

John

19. NGWT

NGWT

JCM,

That'll work. I think at this point I would just delete the network card and let Windows reinstall for it.