Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new notebook and am trying to remember what is the best stuff to use to prevent viruses and spam and all that junk. I know about Firefox and plan to download that right off the bat but can't remember what other programs I should download also. I recall you folks had some ideas of what to go with other than the Norton/Macafee junk that gobbles up resources as I won't intstall either of those this time around. I want to say "Apache" is one that is good but I could be off base on that as I'm no techno geek and I might be referencing an entire server or something.

So any advice on what to use to keep my new pc clean and bug free without buying some lame software that loads my system with tons of stuff I don't want would be great.

·
INGO
306 Posts
I use AVG Anti-Virus w/firewall, Ad-Aware and Spybot. I also use Registry Mechanic to clean things up. I have never had a problem using these tools.

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
I have Zone alarm suite. Firewqall, anti virus and spy ware remover. Seems to kick ass;) :cool:

·
EMT-B
15,908 Posts
Firefox AVG Ewido SpybotSearch&Destroy RegScrubXP

Scott

:alien:

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Originally posted by DScottHewitt
Firefox AVG Ewido SpybotSearch&Destroy RegScrubXP

Scott

:alien:
Yup...

I use a hardware firewall/router. As a s/w firewall, I just use the regular Windows Firewall. If everything else MS related is an indication, this s/w firewall likely sucks, but I've yet to really need it, as Ive yet to see any problems on my PC, and all probes seem to get turned back.

IGF

·
Kilted Muppet
2,232 Posts
Firefox Browser
AVG Anti-Virus
Ad-Aware (spyware cleaner)
Spybot S&D
CCleaner (CrapCleaner v1.30.310)

These seem to work really well for me. Plus, they're all freeware.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, my stuff came loaded with McAfee trial thingee without my consent and I'm so NOT happy about that. Dumb question but do you guys think I should just delete the program? The pop ups in the first few mins of operating my new pc are already annoying. Don't want to mess things up by trying to remove stuff the first day but...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
What are the pop-ups you're getting? Are they McAfee related or related to something else?

I'd uninsall McAfee personally.

Antivir and Avast put it to shame in my opinion. Then download Spybot and Firefox, which should end your pop-up woes. :)

IGF

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,351 Posts
ZoneAlarm, GriSoft AVG, SpyBot, and AdAware, in that order too.
All free. :badpc:

Search GT's Tech Topics forum, there is plenty of good info there.

·
Mac Aficionado
592 Posts
I can't believe I am the first one to say this but, "Wipe Windows and install Linux". Then wave bye, bye to your viruses and spyware issues. :wavey:

Uh oh, here goes... :popcorn:

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, got Spybot, Ad-Aware and AVG installed along with Firefox for browsing. Do I need anything else??? What is a regisitry scrub? What should I do to protect against Trojans? Is CCleaner something I should have and run?

Thanks much for explaining all this stuff to me.

·
THIS IS IN ALL CAPS
7,035 Posts
Firefox, ZoneAlarm Free, and AVG just like everybody else has suggested.

I just bought a new HP notebook myself and I spent over an hour last night removing all the junk software from Norton, MS, and everybody's brother that they pre-install for you.

·
GLOCK 26
628 Posts
Firefox
F-Secure Internet Security
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Originally posted by hotlunch
Ok, got Spybot, Ad-Aware and AVG installed along with Firefox for browsing. Do I need anything else??? What is a regisitry scrub? What should I do to protect against Trojans? Is CCleaner something I should have and run?

Thanks much for explaining all this stuff to me.
First things first...

If you have an always on connection(cable, dsl, etc), do you have a hardware firewall? That could be part of your problem. A hardware firewall/router is an absolute necessity in todays Internet. If you use Dial up, you're probably fine with what you have.

I personally don't care much for Zone Alarm, but thats stricly personal opinion. As I mentioned above, using a Hardware firewall/Router, and the Windows Software firewall, and my system has yet to be compromised.

CWCleaner is a pretty good program. I've installed it on a couple problem machines and its got a fair amount of junk cleaned off.

GT's Tech Talk Forum- Some very wise individuals down there...

Some good programs suggested in this thread

Good luck
IGF

·
Fonzi
173 Posts
Originally posted by Getwild2
I can't believe I am the first one to say this but, "Wipe Windows and install Linux". Then wave bye, bye to your viruses and spyware issues. :wavey:

Uh oh, here goes... :popcorn:
+1

Welcome to a world without spyware/virus software....

here

·
On The Fringe
1,034 Posts
Originally posted by AnimalK
Firefox Browser
AVG Anti-Virus
Ad-Aware (spyware cleaner)
Spybot S&D
CCleaner (CrapCleaner v1.30.310)

These seem to work really well for me. Plus, they're all freeware.
I would add the Opera browser to this list

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Ljunatic
I would add the Opera browser to this list
Yes but if I'm using Firefox for a browser what would be the purpose of installing Opera?

Also, isn't it redundant for me to have both Ad Aware and Spybot S+D or do they catch what each other misses?

·
Mac Aficionado
592 Posts
Originally posted by kenny31
+1

Welcome to a world without spyware/virus software....

here
Isnt it funny how we are just ignored now? :laughabove:

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Actually, I tried to get Ubuntu to load up on my PC, kept getting an error as it loaded(on the LiveCD),

I like Linux alot, but it can be so damn finicky with hardware, its to much for some people. The problem is, when it becomes as easy to use as Windows, and becomes widely accepted, it will begin to have the same problems as Windows....

IGF

1 - 20 of 40 Posts