Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine moved near Dayton, Ohio a few months ago for a job. He got an apartment in a large complex. This month they announced to all residents that they will no longer be accepting rent payments in the office. They will ONLY allow credit card payments on the internet. Further, they charge you an additional $11.50 "processing fee" on the new website to pay with a credit card. How is this even possible? I haven ever heard of something like this and think it is flat out wrong.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Not unless it's in the rental agreement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say if he has a lease which specifies when and where the payment shall be made then he could fight it. But is is only $11.50 and I know I would probably get half back in my credit card rebates plus it would be a lot easier for me to pay that way. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I actually prefer it. As someone mentioned... the points you get with your CC makes it more than worthwhile...

My complex recently just stopped talking CC payments online... kinda ticked me off...

But... i guess if someone doesn;t have a CC that would be a problem...

·
Banned
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess one of the biggest problems he has with the situation is the BS $11.50 fee tacked on when they are FORCING him to use a CC. It is not like there is a choice. The ONLY option to pay rent now is through CC.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
check the terms of the lease

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Sounds like crap to me.If I were him, Id read the agreement that was signed beforehand.It probably has a statement inside it that reads something like "we have the right to change or alter this agreement,at any time for any reason".

Those fees add up.Sounds like the owner renting the place thinks they have a "corner on the market" or something.Is that the only place in town?

And no, it doesnt cost them 11 bucks and change to do that.Its just a money generating scam.

·
SempreEnHostes
260 Posts
My apartment complex doesn't force us to pay by credit card but they do have a $23 convenience fee which turns out to be about 3% of the rent. It is the same with vendors that charge the 3% for credit card purchases.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
My apartment complex, will only accept, check or money order, for rent payment. No cash or credit cards.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
In many states, if this isn't in the lease you signed when you rented the apartment, it would be illegal.

If it was me, I would file a WRITTEN complaint with your State's Attorney General's Office

That 'fee' amounts to $690 in a 5 year period (assuming it doesn't go up): enough to buy a NICE big screen TV, or a fairly decent computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts