close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paying College Athletes for the Money They Bring In

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NorthCarolinaLiberty, Jan 8, 2010.

1. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I heard this argument 15-20 years ago. Colleges and TV networks make a lot of money on basketball and football, so why not pay the athletes? Pay would go beyond scholarships and room & board.

A player like Colt McCoy might worry less about his NFL career when getting injured. He might make enough at the college level to pay for insurance in case of a career-ending college injury.

2. ray9898

ray9898

I am fine with the way it is....the highest level where people play just for the love of the game.

3. michael88

michael88

they already have that insurance. Went to school with michael bush at louisville. When he broke his leg his senior year, his insurance paid him two million.

4. bchandler

bchandler

Ummm, no. They play in hopes of getting drafted by the NFL, lol.

5. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I don't know about paying college athletes but if I had talent I would absolutely go pro as soon as possible. You can go back to college with a blown out knee but not to the NFL or NBA. Get the money while you can then worry about the education.

6. srhoades

srhoades

It used to be if you had a college degree it meant something. Now any knuckle head can scrape though college. Although I do enjoy some college sports I don't like what they have become. It used to be a means to pay for an education. Now it is a means to tolerate education while waiting for the draft.

I have to admit I have more respect for the Ivy league sports teams simply because I know they are in college for the right reason. Look at the average player in the NBA today who graduated with a degree. If you were a prospective employer and you needed someone not necessarily with any special skills but wanted a degree, would you hire him?

7. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

8. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne

Not the most of them. Most of them realize that the NFL is just a pipedream.

9. rahrah12

rahrah12

The NCAA is fine making money off of the athletes...just look at how much they make on college football/basketball video games...

but heaven forbid that player try to go out and get a job for some extra money while in college...

10. ray9898

ray9898

Nah....most know the reality. Less than 1% of NCAA players go on to the next level....probably 0.25% are actually successful at that level.

11. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

College athletes are compensated by being given an education. Very few make it to the pros.

----> Went to college on football scholarship, never played pros but have wrecked knees. Still thankful for my education.

12. Glenn129

Glenn129

Keep $$$ out of college sports. The offer of a free education is enough compensation for their efforts. Some take advantage of it and some don't.

13. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

The question shouldn't be framed as "should the NCAA and colleges share the loot with the players?", it's "why is there so much money in college sports to start with?"

I thought college was about education - but evidently it's really about basketball, football, etc. :upeyes:

kestrou

14. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

College football players do get some of the money they bring in. They play in multi-million dollar, state of the art facilities, they get tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships to cover room/board/food/etc.,.

Big name college programs (Texas and the like) net a couple of million a year after all expenses. Then there are smaller programs who have a net loss after expenses (to include scholarships).

If student atheletes were paid, it would very likely come at the expense of scholarships for kids at the smaller schools. Kids who won't see much time on the field but depend on that scholarship to make it through school and get a degree.

15. groovyash

groovyash

This. It's always astounded me that college students cheer for a bunch of barely literate thugs that they import from the ghetto and then THEY PAY to blow off the classes, get in fights, get high, all the while they have to work hard and study while these drains can run around with a ball and bump into each other. I know, I know, there are alot of good diligent scholars who are on sports scholarships but the amount of pathetically obvious abuse of the system is enough that schools should be ashamed. You want school spirit have a club sport. On top of that the assertion that schools make alot off of sports is somewhat of a misconception. If you take a school's entire sports program, most excepting the very big name schools only come close to breaking even.

16. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

They get free tuition, books, food, lodging, and god knows what else already.

17. rahrah12

rahrah12

I would say that the players should atleast be allowed to work more and earn some income...

18. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

Quite often, employment for players is arranged or at least influenced by the school. Not anything "illegal" as the kids are paid a comparable wage to other employees and are only paid for hours they work (over paying either in hourly rate or paying more hours than they player worked would be a violation of NCAA rules).

Over the years I've worked with/been friends with several players from different programs across the country from both major and small schools. They've all talked about how they were put in a job that accomodated their school/practice schedule and didn't put them in much danger of injury.

19. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

My son is currently on a Div I scholarship for school for wrestling and I'd love for him to get a small stipend during the season because he's not allowed to have employment "in" season. Other than that he's satisfied with the fact he's on a full ride and he loves the sport.

BTW in season is defined as the entire school year with the exception of Christmas vaction unless you're a winter sport.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  20. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

For DIV I and II this is a major rules violation. The Schools are expressly forbidden to acquire or influence employment for scholarship athletes. Even school employment is done "blind" to avoid this. I can go into what the Div I college is mandated to collect (financial affidavits, tax records, and pay records, etc.) but schools can't be involved in arranging or influencing employment of scholarship athletes.