close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pay To Play - K12 Sports Programs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HKLovingIT, Mar 27, 2012.

1. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

A couple school districts around here with budget issues are kicking around the idea of "pay to play" for K-12 sports programs. That is, students who wish to play on a public school sports team must pay a fee to do so. No clue how much they would charge at this time. It's all just talk right now.

What are your thoughts on this?

Could it keep a disadvantaged student from participating and make school sports available only to those from more well off families?

What if only students from a family with a certain income level and up had to pay and below that level cost of participation was subsidized?

Do you think K-12 sports programs should be eliminated entirely or cut back severely? If so, what typical K-12 sports would you get rid of and why?

Do you have this in action where you live? How does it work, and how is it working out?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

Here in Northern VA, there is a $150 fee for girls basketball and $50 for track, can't tell for the other sports as those are the only two High school sports my kids do so far.

Sucks, but it is not going away.

3. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Short answer: No, not in my locale, but we need to clarify what you mean by the term "disadvantaged student." In Florida, most often what you'd be referring to are those students who qualify for a scholarship of some type. Certain of these scholarships offer a full ride, which includes scholastic pursuits such as sports. In my experiences, these disadvantaged students who qualify for the scholarship means they could play and their scholarships or grant would cover the cost of the sports fee(s).

A decade or so ago, when working in public school, the budget pretty much carried all the offered sports programs. However, when I made the move to private schools, their sports programs typically had some cost handled by the school, and some costs handled by the parents/guardians. (BTW- IMO, team Moms (and team Dads) are some of the greatest people on the planet!) For those disadvantaged students we had on the roll, their scholarships would handle all the costs not covered by the school. Additionally, in every case, the scholarship would also provide a stipend, if you will, for daily uniform requirements at the school.

So, if other states are similar to Florida in this regard, then the funds would be funneled back into the school for these students. The ones that would be precluded from playing would be those students who were the sons and daughters of typical Middle Class Americans, which our Middle Class Americana is who this and other budgeting hustles in America are trying to bankrupt anyway. Just another in a long line of stratagems from our fascists dictators to penalize the Middle Class and steal their wealth.

4. RichJ

RichJ

No. Theirs will be free as always.

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Next thing you know it will cost money anytime you catch the ball or make a hoop or swing a bat.

:50cal:

6. CAcop

CAcop

They do it around here as a donation. It is relatively reasonable when you factor in what it costs for non school related sports. There are private soccer programs that charge three times what the school asks for.

7. 220-9er

220-9er

I'm not sure why taxpayers should be on the hook for someones kid to play sports or any extracurricular activities. We already have to pay for their kids education.

8. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

The football team at the high school around here does fundraising every year to pay for jerseys and equipment. It seems to work, they always have nice stuff. I think it's good, the players are out actually raising the money themselves. Unlike some of the other programs, they don't just get money handed to them.

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I think the liability issues are more secure when it is a public school. I'd hate to see the insurance premiums for a truly private youth soccer league. :wow:

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Much better than the constant fund raisers everywhere to help some team or some group.

I don't mind if they're offering some sort of service, like a car wash, but to ask for donations or to buy some stuff to "send our team to xyz" is a bunch of bull. Parents need to pay for their kids' recreation.

11. Tackle

Tackle

Here in MN that's pretty common. I played football in 06 and it was $100 to play + had to participate in a fundraiser.

Every sport cost money to play.

Edit: evem some classes cost money for 'materials' even though we took nothing home.

12. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

sports are expensive to coordinate and organize, coach, gear, buses, etc...

we always had a sports user fee for football, basketball, soccer, wrestling, baseball, etc.

if you really couldnt afford to pay the user fee, the coaches would set you up with a way to pay it, some sort of little job for a couple weekends or something. we were a close knit small town though

13. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Our schools aren't providing the basic education our children need, so I support cutting out anything and everything until all effort (and funding) is focused on producing successful student and succeeds in that goal. If that means sports are "pay to play", or removed entirely, so be it.

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

How about paying when you MISS the hoop or strike out?

15. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Okay. I agree with you philosophically. However let me put this out for review. One of the districts in question has a budget of $150 million per year. Of that amount, 70% goes to salaries, benefits and retirement contributions. Now I know that education is an endeavor where you will have lots of employees, etc. and that will tend to be the chief cost. However, does 70% seem high or low? Asking opinions...I don't know if that is high or low. Seems like a lot of moola. This is a larger suburban type school district with a clutch of elementary schools, a couple middle schools and two high schools. So it is on the large size as far as they go around here. :dunno: