Pay Pal Help Sought

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PhiDeltChicoTCU, Feb 7, 2010.

1. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

Does anyone use PayPal to sell stuff?

I sold some electronic merchandise on eBay yesterday... The guy paid immediately via PayPal... Today, I logged into my PayPal to see about transferring the $$ to my checking account when I noticed that PP is holding the $$ for 20 days. What gives??

I'm leery about shipping the guy the merchandise and then having him file a dispute or something while the $$ is still pending...

Any past experience that anyone can share is appreciated

2. Nords

Nords

Ive been hearing that paypal is now holding money for a while till they know you shipped the product. I'd read up some more and then ship the stuff out, but BE SURE TO GET DELIVERY CONFIRMATION, so you can prove it was sent and received.

I used to buy and sell often on ebay with paypal, but kinda gave that up with all the outrageous prices and treatment of sellers by both ebay and paypal.

Its like both companies are catering to scammers.

3. cranejc

cranejc

regardless if the money is held or not, PP will still stick it to you if the buyer wants to - charge your CC or draft your bank account, etc.

4. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Generally if it's a large sum (+$500), they'll hold it for a while to make sure that (a) the money is actually there and (b) you actually ship the product. +1 on the delivery confirmation.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I USED to do a bunch of guitar parts sales on Flea-Bay
    Over the last two-three years Pay-Pal has become more communistic.
    I canceled my account, I refuse to "give them a cut" of my profits an longer.
    I have no use for their services.

I suggest you find another means of payments.

6. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

Sounds like they're getting interest free loans by holding the $$$.. This'll be the last time I use PayPal.

7. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Abandon hope, all ye who enter PayPal.

8. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

Is it possible to just refund the $$ back to the guy while it's pending with PayPal?

I'd rather wash my hands of this transaction if the $$ doesn't post to my PP account within the next day or two.

9. cphilip

cphilip

Payment hold - a longer definition

A payment hold is an amount of money that belongs to you, set aside by PayPal, while we make sure that your customers are satisfied. The funds for payments received are held temporarily as a pending balance in your account, and released at the end of the given hold timeframe. The funds may be released early if PayPal determines that the transaction has been fulfilled and your customers are satisfied.
    Why does PayPal use payment holds?

Payment holds ensure that sellers have sufficient funds in their account if, for example, a customer files a dispute. This allows PayPal to provide a fast and secure payment service to you and your customers while keeping our prices competitive.

We know this is a change in the way we do business with you and we hope you understand that, if you incur a payment hold, you haven’t done anything wrong. In deciding whether to apply payment holds, we review many factors including transaction activity, business type, and customer disputes.
    When do payment holds apply?

Payment holds may be applied to some or all transactions in your account if PayPal perceives a risk associated with your account. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:

* You have been an eBay and PayPal member for less than 6 months, and, have limited selling activity, or
    * You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and do not have a record of good performance or
    * You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage of 5% or greater than 5%, or
    * You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
    * You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
    * You have a high rate of customer disputes
    * You're selling in a high risk category or industry such as, but not limited to, tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics, or cell phones
    * You have a spike in selling activities or begin selling in a category without an established history

If your account is subject to payment holds, PayPal will provide you with notice specifying the terms. The terms may require that the amounts received into your account are held for a certain period of time.

If PayPal places payment holds on your account, the funds will be shown as “pending” in your PayPal balance.
    When does PayPal release payment holds?

Payments will be held in a pending balance for a certain time period. For example, if you receive a $100 payment (after fees), the $100 will be held in a pending balance for that amount of time. After then, the money will be available for withdrawal.

The money may be released sooner if:

1. We can confirm that the item was delivered
    2. Your buyer leaves positive feedback. (Applies only to eBay items.)

To get access to this money more quickly, please process this order right away and communicate with your customers early and often.
    What can I do to avoid payment holds?

Here are some things you can do:

* Improve your DSR feedback rating
    * Process your orders right away
    * Communicate early and often with your buyers
    * Resolve all customer disputes quickly

If you meet the following, you'll receive payments instantly in most cases:

* You have been an eBay and PayPal member for 6-months or more, AND
    * Your total Feedback score is 100 or greater, AND
    * Your Buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5% AND
    * You are selling in a category or industry with an established history.

Or

* Your average DSR is 4.5 or greater AND
    * Your have received 20 or more DSRs in the last 12-months AND
    * Your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5% AND
    * You are selling in a category or industry with an established history.

I’m a new seller. Will payments I receive be held?

If you’re a new seller with PayPal, we may hold your payments until you establish payments history and a record of good performance.
    I’m a tenured PayPal seller. Will payments I receive be held?

If you don’t have a record of good performance or have limited selling activity or other indication of potential performance problems, your payments may be held.

10. smokin762

smokin762

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Paypal is still the best thing going out there for payment. I've been using it for years and never had a problem. Yes, there are things about it that suck, but on the whole it works pretty well.

12. mymini40

mymini40

Paypal used to be very good until Ebay bought it.

13. den888

den888

Good luck, PayPal sucks, in my opinion...

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That happens a lot... You have to remember, Paypal is for the buyer, not the seller.

IGF

15. PhiDeltChicoTCU

PhiDeltChicoTCU

I'll just have to cross my fingers that everything goes smoothly and PP releases my $$$ sooner than later

16. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Paypal holds all my international transactions.

17. RustySocket

RustySocket

I have never had a bad experience using pp as both buyer and seller. They do however support the buyer for the most part.

I dont do transactions any more of significant value using paypal and tend to like usps money orders instead. Takes longer but if a buyer isn't willing to do it, they were probably going to scam you in the first place.

fwiw, I have over 2000 ebay transactions and 100% feedback both as a seller and a buyer. I have sold cars, motorcycles, "machine parts", and hot wheels and everything else you could think of.

Early on it was a great business... not so much any more. Lots of scammers.

I still use pp for deals I find on forum classifieds as you tend to get a feel of who your dealing with based on posting history.

18. boats1

boats1

Good and true post.