close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PAY....Hourly Rate vs. Salary?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Feb 4, 2010.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I’m already starting to get some complaints from some of the crew at my latest project. The move to having contractors sign up for a fixed weekly salary instead of an hourly rate started in Europe several years ago, and now the salaried people outnumber those on hourly pay.

Problem is, that the type of work we are doing can require 84+ hour weeks at some stages and even now when we’re just doing 60 a week I have some people crying that they are only salaried for 50 hours a week. (they sure didn’t complain they were overpaid when we were only putting in 40 hours a week:upeyes:)

My take on the issue is that they knew the hours would get long during some stages of the project, and signed up to do the job for a certain amount per week and have no sympathy for their whinging. This isn’t a 9-5 type job, and they knew that coming in, but now they cry.

Question is: Am I being a jerk, or are these guys being abused by me expecting them to put in the hours to support the project during crucial stages?

By the way, I’m on a flat hourly rate…no OT, but get paid for every hour worked. We all negotiated our own individual deals with the company.

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

I ran a car dealership for several years. Here's the reality: employees complain no matter what. It's like having children that you can't spank. No matter what the deal is, some of them are not going to be happy.

If you were up-front with them about what was going to be required, then they can either deal with it or quit.

3. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Have you not been paying attention to the culture? Contracts, be they sports, actors, business, etc. are irrelevant. Are most of these whiners young geniuses with little experience, or older folks with a work history and understanding of 'what it takes'?

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

They are lucky to have JOBS:whistling:

5. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

Tell them have a nice warm cup of shut the...

anyway.

The point of salary is that on those nice slow weeks, you make up the money you "lose" on those crazy 84 hour weeks.

Hubby can (and does) spend HOURS and sometimes full DAYS on the weekend (even while we are snowboarding, which is annoying) dealing with work issues. *shrug* He's salary, and it goes with the job.

6. JCW355

JCW355 9MM user

Ask them if they want cheese with their whine. Then say do you need for me to call you a waaaaaaaaaambulance? Like you said they knew what they were in for at the beginning.

7. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Agreed. If they knew ahead of time what they were getting in to then they have nothing to fuss about unless they're just mad at themselves for accepting the terms of employment. But if they don't like it, they can quit. It's not like you won't be able to find someone that needs work to replace them in these times.

That said, I'm on salary at my job. Works out in my favor for the most part. I work 40-50 hours a week most weeks. If I work less for some reason, pay is the same. Sometimes I have to work over, but it's not a big deal. I just keep the times I end up ahead in mind then.

8. failsafe

failsafe

When you say contract..I take it you are saying they are contract labor, and file a 1099..Otherwise, Fed laws might dictate overtime pay...

9. CigarGuy

CigarGuy

Be careful with the labor department in your state and the Feds. Someone may rat you out and you'd better be sure I's are dotted and T's are crossed.
    They may try to accuse you of not paying "overtime".

10. vafish

vafish

The way I understand it, they negotiated a pay level which they agreed to take and now they are complaining about it?

Sounds like they need to either live by the agreement they signed or negotiate better at their next job.

11. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

As far as if you're being a jerk or not depends entirely on how this whole thing was sold to them. If you soft pedaled the possability of working more than 50 hours knowing full well they would be working 80+ then yeah, you're a jerk. If you repeatedly told them 80+ hours would indeed come to pass and they still signed up then screw 'em. If the later is the case they may simply need to be reminded a few times. Me personnaly, I worked salary for 20 years at one time in my life....never again.

12. CigarGuy

CigarGuy

"They"(Feds and State) have very strict guidelines as to what qualifies as
    "subcontract" labor.

13. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I'm on salary. I get paid for 40 hours work a week. The job is responsible to provide me with the 40 hours of work per week. If they don't have 40 hours work shame on them I still get paid. If they want me to work more than 40 hours they must pay me a set hourly wage for those hours. Works out well.

14. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

devildog nailed it.

When I worked as an engineer in industry the operators would always complain about how the engineers had cushy salary jobs and made all that money for "nothing."

Of course, the didn't realize that the engineers made what they made no matter how long they were there. It wasn't unusual for engineers to bring cots in and sleep in their office when the plant was down. No OT for that. Oh, and if an engineer worked less than 8 hrs, we had to take vacation.

Meanwhile, the operators are getting double and even triple time while the engineers are basically working for free. Cry me a river.

15. captainstormy

captainstormy

Granted I work in a different industry, but Hourly vs Salary use to be a big fight in IT in the 90s. Salary ended up winning, and I'm glad for it.

Sure it can feel like your getting the shaft if you work 80 hours a week and your salary. But there are a whole lot of slow times too. Personally I'm glad that on the slow times where I MIGHT work 20 hours a week I'm getting paid for 40.

But yea, employee's complain no matter what.

16. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

I've worked for both hourly and salary. I'll never work salary again... unless that salary pay started at around $100k :whistling:

17. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

First of all, I'm just the site start-up manager, and had no input in their contract. We are all working for the same "body-shop" which is also a subsidery of the big company to which we are contracted. So maybe they were lied to during the negotiations, but it's not 'my bad". Most of them have a lot less experiance than me, but have been on other projects, but were desperate for work and felt they were not in a postion to demand more money. All of them are making a salary a lot higher than somebody doing the same type work full-time in house...but since we get "unemployed" at the end of the project, it's a trade off for the everyone.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've dealt with hourly guys who will milk the cash cow and put in 100 hour weeks but produce nothing.

18. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Being a sallaried employee is NOT the same thing as being an exempt employee. Naieve employers make this mistake all the time.

For example. I had paid a secratry $2k a month salary. The job was M-F 8am to 4:30pm with a half hour lunch. If the month had 18 or 22 working days she got paid the same. But if she ever worked more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week then we had to pay overtime.

I have never viewed exempt jobs as 40 hour a week positions. I am paid to do my job if it takes 20 or 80 hours a week. If it only takes 20 hours then the job description is not broad enough!

19. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

Salary, in the true sense of the word, rarely exists in America.

Salary is always, 100% of the time, designed to benefit the employer, not the employee.

Almost as certain is that if an employer discovers that employees are accomplishing their job in less than 40 hours, they will either make an immediate switch to "hourly" or they will attempt to require the employee to do additional work that was not negotiated in to the original salary.

My grandmother has a perfect example of that. She worked for a company that had hourly, salaried, and "piece work" pay. While that part isn't odd, what is odd is the fact that all 3 pay types were for the exact same work. Even more "strange" was the fact that the company would evaluate the employees production and change their pay type (sometimes every month) to whatever got them a set amount (or more) of production at the lowest cost.

20. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

$100k isn't some magical # that makes your world perfect. There are a great many people who get screwed at $100k. If you have a skill that would get you $40/hour but you take a job at $100k and you work 75 hours a week, you don't think $100k is great.