Pawn Shops

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SinCityGlocker, Mar 6, 2010.

1. SinCityGlocker

SinCityGlocker

I have been checking out a few pawn shops in vegas looking for some morgans and generally looking around. I have noticed a few things.

1) Gold and Silver Pawn (from the television show "Pawn Stars") must be making their money off the show as they are grossly overpriced on everything. One example: 1921 circulated morgan silver dollar $50. I can buy these at several local coin stores for $20-22. Also looked around at the rest of the store. NOthing seemed like a deal.

2) Most independent stores will no longer take electronics. I have never tried to pawn anything, but I asked why there were no tv's etc and was told in 2 different places that they would much rather take guns, jewelry, coins, or PM's than try to deal in electronics.

3) Some very sad looking characters hang around the pawn shops in vegas

4) Vegas has to have the most Pawn Shops per capita out of any large city in America

What are our general feelings on pawn shops and have you ever done business with one (buy, sell, hock)?

2. Nords

Nords

I stepped into my first pawn shop in a small town in MN last summer. It had lots of cool weapons and old retro video games and movies and such.

Then my buddy made me go into pawn america. This one looked to be nothing but stolen items. Laptops, ipods, construction tools, stereos, digital cameras. I did not enjoy my time in this store. I probably won't ever go to another pawn shop again (unless I'm in vegas, just to see the Pawn Stars one)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010

3. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

I went into a local pawn shop here for the first time last year. They had the most beat up Romanian AK I had ever seen. Price>>> $975.00!!! :shocked: :faint:

4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Like anything in life, if you know how to bargain, good deals can be found in Pawn Shops. Who cares what the marked price is. Marked prices are for amatures and idiots.

5. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I had never been into a pawn shop till a couple weeks ago. One of the pawn shops in our town has a FFL and I had a order shipped to them. I only looked at their gun selection, and was pleasantly surprised to see that the prices were fair (considering the lack of gun shops in this area). I will definatly be going back when I am ready to purchase my next gun.

6. southGA

southGA

Most people assume they make money selling the items in the shop. For the most part, this isn't true. About 70-90% of profit is from interest on loans given on the stuff pawned. As said above, the prices marked are for those who don't know what they are buying. I've bought quite a bit from a local pawn shop and always haggle on the price.

7. RioKid

RioKid

I have never been able to get a good deal at a pawn shop. Their "junk" is always overpriced and they don't seem to turn their stock very fast. It seems like they all always have the same junk everytime you go in. I sometimes wonder if pawn shops aren't just fronts for some other kinds of business.:whistling:

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The few pawnshops I've ever gone into gave me a feeling that three showers couldn't even get rid of. HH

9. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I have bought almost all of my guns from one local pawn shop, his prices are great on used guns and he will order any new gun for $20 over.

I have also bought tools, a generator, a trailer, jon boat, ATV, monitors; all sorts of crap there, some good stuff.

Consigned a few things there for very good prices too, usually give him about 10%.

Lots of dirty chodes there though, always trying to pawn worthless or stolen crap.

10. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Some scores that come to mind:
    Milwaukee Sawzall $10 & Holeshooter Magnum $20, Snap-On hand & air tools for less than 1/4 catalog price, Rolex Date $750 & Omega Constellation $150, Glock 17 $100, S&W M65 $310, Colt AR-15 SP1 $150, NFL & NHL leather jackets $15-$25, etc. All in very good to new condition, I don't buy junk.

I love the pawn shops.

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

My stepfather LOVES to haggle and buys damn near everything at pawn shops. Gets great deals and loves the process.

12. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

Pawn Shop Symbols: Three Balls

The Least Known Legend: One of the least known origins that has been researched is the coin known as the "Silver Shekel" or "Shekel of Israel" which was issued in A.D. 68 after a Jewish revolt against the Romans. One side of the coin depicted three pomegranates, with a common stalk.

The Traditional Legend of the Three Balls: The symbol of the three balls was part of the coat of arms of the Medici family, who established the Medici trading and banking empire in Florence, Italy. The Medicis were a 15th century Italian family of bankers and lenders, with considerable fame and fortune. They became so well known in the finance and lending profession that the other lenders, wanting to share in their success, adopted similar coats of arms, signs, shields and symbols, with three golden balls being the most popular. Once other merchants involved in monetary dealing adopted the three golden balls as their symbol, the three balls came to symbolize the entire profession founded on the ethic of mutual trust.

Throughout the Middle ages you can find many coats of arms bearing three balls, orbs, plates, disks, coins, and more as symbolic of monetary success.

When Italian bankers began to open branches abroad, the symbol of the three golden balls spread to the European West. It is known that there was pawnbroking in Spain because Queen Isabella pawned some of her royal jewels to finance Columbus' long voyage to the New World. I wonder if the pawnbroker who made that loan knew just what he was starting?

The symbol of the three golden balls was brought to the United States from England, where pawnbrokers still display the symbol to this day.

Saint Nicholas and his Three Gifts of Gold: The figure of Saint Nicholas is a legend from the Orthodox Russian Church. He was said to be very kind to the poor.

And then there is the other definition: Pawnbrokers (and their detractors) joke that the three balls mean "Two to one, you won't get your stuff back".

13. fireguy129

fireguy129

I gotta go shopping with you!!

14. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

bingo , im 41 and been in a pawn shop 3 times in my life and that was to use his ffl . pawn shops are nasty as the folks that frequent them . feel like i need to rub ajax and bleach in shower lol

15. marlinfan

marlinfan

The local pawn shops around here are really expensive and won't negotiate price at all on tools or guns. The only thing I've found is some good prices on silver eagle coins, the one guy sells them at $2 over spot price. He sells generic silver bullion coins and bars for $1 over spot.

16. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

I buy those high dollar rigid aluminum pipe wrenches for 10-20 bucks once in a while.

17. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

No problem. The more you nancy boys stay away, the more deals forthe rest of us.

A word of advice, if you go to a motorcycle swap, forget the Ajax and bleach. Bring a box of Pampers. :rofl:

18. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

I went to a pawn shop when I was in the states in January and spotted a pretty sapphire & diamond ring that they wanted 2-something for. The tag said it was 10kt gold and the sapphire's color was so perfect I assumed it was man-made. I liked the ring anyway so I got it for 200 OTD.

Last week I finally took a loupe and looked closer, it's 18kt gold, a nice designer brand, and the sapphire is a natural Ceylon. Translation = Jackpot! :supergrin: I almost wish I'd left the ring in my safe instead of wearing it back here to Iraq, because I'd hate to scratch it, but you only live once, so what the hell.....

19. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Let's see. The last time I was in a pawn shop, I bought a Detonics CM Mk 6 for $350.00.

Yeah, I like them.

ML