close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pawn shops and firearms

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dueyferg, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dueyferg

dueyferg

Every time I do internet research on a used firearm, people say, "If you don't care about looks go to the pawn shop. You can get one cheap." I have been to two local pawn shops (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:City>Columbus</st1:City> <st1:State>OH</st1:State></st1:place>) and their prices made me laugh out load. They were asking around $40 less than retail for an item that was all beat up. On top of that I acted interested in a pistol and the guy would not budge a cent. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    What is your experience with pawn shops?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

2. a_tack

a_tack

Last time I was in a pawn shop they were asking $529 for used, holster worn, glocks. . . I went down the road and bought a new one for $499.

3. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Same as yours, with one exception around here that is as much a gun shop as it is a pawn shop.

http://www.tomballpawn.com

4. dosei

dosei

I've seen a few good deals at pawn shops, but most of the time they are just a double scam house...they pay 2 cents on the dollar when they buy and sell it for 150% of it's actual value. Rule of thumb for most pawn shops...never pay the asking price, if they don't barter then don't buy.

5. bobbman

bobbman

Best way to buy a gun at a pawn shop is in the parking lot, after they insult the person with a low ball offer.

If you really want to get frustrated at an industry, take a gun by a pawn shop and get them to give you a purchase offer.

6. The Habit

The Habit كافر

Most of the pawn shops in my area are also terribly unreasonable in regards to used gun pricing. Several will haggle a bit, several will not. It makes me wonder how they move any inventory at all.

7. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

Glockamolie: That is the best Gun Shop in town and I have bought a lot of guns from them., used and new. Hard to find a better price on a new gun and he will deal on the used guns too.

8. wayne5plus1

wayne5plus1 Marketing Guy

Never bought a gun at a pawnshop because they always seem to inflate the prices. One shop I went to told me I wouldn't be able to get a Glock 22 for less than $700 in town...I was like...what town is he talking about.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've got a couple good deals in pawn shops but mostly their prices are way too high. I figure they sell mostly to people that don't know any better.

10. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I have yet to encounter a pawn shop with decent prices. The prices for used firearms at "Money Man" pawns in Charleston are comparable (and in some cases higher) to new firearm prices at gun shops.

11. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

I am vehemently anti-pawn shop in general & have posted here on the subject before. However I do browse the inventory from time to time. We have one good one in town that has more new inventory than pawned stuff.

I bought a marlin 781 22lr there for 99 bucks last year.

Saw a similar model at the gun show for $220.00

I would never sell an item to a pawn shop, they lowball you every time.

12. k594

k594

ive gotten one good deal at a pwn shop in my lifetime, only reason i got that was because they were going out of business and trying to move everything.
    all the pwn shops ive been to are overpriced junk that's sold to people who don't know any better

13. Spence

Spence

I did this once and the gal had only put 20 rounds through the S&W model 60. They offered her 150 bucks so she told them to pound sand. I asked her what she needed for it and she told me 300. Sold!

14. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

While most pawn shops charge higher then normal prices for common guns like Glocks, they sometimes greatly under-price niche guns like collectible 1911's and S&W revolvers. I don't go into them with the intention of wading through a pile of great deals. I go in with the intention of wading through their inventory so I can find a few great deals.

15. dueyferg

dueyferg

Sounds like my expeirence is the same as most others. I am going to keep checking in though. The one guy handed me what he said was an sks and it was really a mosin nagant m44! haha So maybe I can catch some slip ups on pricing too.

16. bb85cc

bb85cc

there are about 6 pawn shops in my area that sell guns and only one is even worth going into. the others have had the same guns on the shelves for years and will not budge on the price even a little it is clear the gun sales is not what keeps them in business

17. JasonV

JasonV

Used to get tons of deals on all kinds of items at pawn shops, back in the 80's and early 90's. It is very rare nowadays.

I see very few pawn shops now that will haggle at all, on any item. I've seen things siting months after they were put out, because the prices were too high, and they would not come down.

I think that they make their money on the short term loans, and anything sold is just a bonus.

18. Shortimer

Shortimer

I don't know if this is true but I suspect that it is. They do it for the same reason Sears will cg double what you can get the same windows or vinyl siding from a contractor. They have to contract it out & get their cut. Not all, but a lot of people are willing or unknowing to pay more for either lay away or financing. Why sell it to us at a deal when someone will pay 20% or more & they can keep the gun until its paid for. If they cannot pay within a certain amount of time, keep the money & put the gun back into inventory. Again this is pure speculation.

19. mangkukhan

mangkukhan

My local pawn shop sells semi auto's way overpriced, but older wheel guns and shotguns are dirt cheap. They got a pair of s&w model 15's tagged at $250 and under as well as some other nice deals on wheel guns.

20. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If you like uncool guns like revolvers and sporting long guns you can find some buys.