close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pawn Shoppin

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bigdough666, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bigdough666

bigdough666

Went pawn shop shoppin today. Came across the typical rediculous high prices, S&W Sigmas for $499, over $500 for beat up used Glocks, beat up Sigs for $550, a really really bad Browning Buckmark for $200, etc, etc.

However, came across two guns that caught my eye and Im wondering if I should go back and put em on layaway.

1st - Marlin 30-30 w/scope. Didnt catch the specific model number, but it was really clean, no scratches or anything, smooth action, cheapo scope, but still pretty clear glass. They are asking $350. Ive wanted a lever gun for a while.

2nd - Browning Hi-Power in 40 S&W. Has custom grips and thats all that has been done. Id rather have one in 9mm, but this gun is CRAZY clean, im fairly positive its never been fired. They are asking $599.

What do you guys think?? Should I go back? Both places offer layaway, 10% down with 6-8 months to pay off and 0 interest.

2. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

wow those prices are very high...im a pawnbroker and those prices just make us look bad haha...i think the marlin and browning are reasonable though and i would go for it

3. bac1023

bac1023

40S&W Hi-Powers are priced lower because nobody wants them, including me.

Still, it would be hard to pass up an unfired HP for $600.

4. J. Parker

J. Parker

Pawnshops can be hit or miss. I have one I like in my area, I know the owner and we get along great. Another pawnshop about a block away is a total ripoff. The owner makes or breaks the shop. I had a Browning HP 40cal and I liked it. Worked perfect and the price of $599 is a good price. Certainly, 9mm HP's are traditional but the 40cals work nice also.

5. mikeyU

mikeyU

I would grab that HP. But yes pawn shops are usually a rip off, they are around here.

6. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

I would offer $300.00 for the Marlin. That is the going rate for them used in my area.
    If it is a 336W model, I think you can get them new at Wal-Mart for their asking price.

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

That's a good deal on the Hi-Power. I haven't see one below $600 in quite a while. The Marlin isn't a bad deal, but you can find Winchester and Marlin 30-30's at yard sales for $350 all the time so it's nothing special. I'd get that HP if it's still there.

8. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

money talks(cash in hand), you dont have to pay what they're asking. Make an offer and you might get lucky.

9. rfd339

rfd339

None of them , go to walmart and get a 336w new .

10. bithabus

bithabus

Never seen a good deal at a pawn shop. Worse than a gun show.

11. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I've noticed revolvers are usually more reasonably priced than the autos. The lever rifles are more reasonably priced than the autos or pump action rifles.

12. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

My cousin is a pawnbroker. He tells me they go over 50% of the purchase price.
    They buy low and sell high.

13. shineybore

shineybore

I feel bad for the suckers that go in them to sell. Then again I don't because they know they are getting screwed as soon as they are asked "can I help you?". I bet most of the things pawned are stolen. Who really keeps the serial numbers of everything they buy execpt firearms?

14. farley45

farley45

The price on the lever gun still seems high to me for a used firearm. Not something I would put on layaway.

15. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

I have found some GREAT deals on firearms at the local Pawn Shops

16. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

+1

Prices are negotiable, it's like shopping at a Turkish Bazaar.

17. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

After reading this thread I decided to go pawn shopping. I found a Glock 17 at a gun shop I wanted and put some money down on it but thought I would see if I could find one cheaper. First pawn shop I went to was Thursday after work. Went inside and passed about 5 people in line pawning or selling stuff. As soon as the workers noticed I was there to buy and not pawn they were all over me. They had a Sig 229 in .357sig for $699 with the finish pretty much gone. No Glock 17 to be seen, but they did have a 22 and a 32. 22 was Gen 2 and in pitiful shape, $420. The 32 was in ok shape but they had $499 on it. Most everything I could see was in bad shape so I took off. Felt like I needed two baths after going in there! I called a couple pawn shops Friday at work to get an idea of where to go today, one had two 17s and a 19 plus a large selection of other guns according to the guy on the phone so I swung by there today. One 17 was in really good shape, same as the 19. The other 17 looked to be in pretty decent shape but was alittle dirty. It had night sites which was a plus, but it had one of those clips that you use instead of a holster attached. He was asking $479 each but when I asked him if that was firm he said make an offer. He then started telling me how great the clip thing was and that those were great prices on the Glocks. Saw some other guns I want to check out later but I am on a mission to get a 9MM Glock so I told him let me think on it and left. I think I am going to take $400 with me Monday and swing by on the way home and see if they will take $375 out the door. None of the Glocks had cases and each came with only one magazine, but I would live with it if the price is right.

18. bigdough666

bigdough666

I passed on both.

I went back to look at the Hi-Power again and decided not to get it. It comes with no box, no MAGAZINE, and looked to have been worked on upon closer inspection (had marks around the pins, like they had been removed before). It was SUPER clean, barrel looked almost brand new, which kinda scares me as well.

I really want a lever gun, but decided to see if i can find a better deal online, which Im sure I can if Im patient.

19. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Yes pawn shops can be a hit & miss trial.

I've seen them with really stupid prices. BUT sometimes real good ones.

I got a Sig 229, in the box, spare 10 shot mag, no sigh of wear, for $499 (ok, about $535 OTD.) It's in 9mm and it shoots, well like a Sig shoots!

And I picked up about 3 months ago a National Postal Meter M1 carbine (yes GI WW2) fine condition, just missing the back sight, for $299 plus tax ($324 bucks or so total.) I then got a milled rear GI sight for $40 at another shop that very day and tapped it in. Vola, at the range it shot just about an inch to the right at 25 yards, couple of clicks and it shot dead on.

Never can tell what you will bump into at a pawn shop.

If you do decide to do the shopping, google the shops near where you live and map a route to efficently check them out (gas does cost with all that driving.)

Deaf

20. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

For a rather large chunk of cash...Cylinder & Slide will turn a .40 Hi Power into a very robust 9mm that's capable of firing +P+ ammo in rather large quantities.