Pattern wide or close

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by capnjim01, Jun 6, 2020.

1. capnjim01

capnjim01

I'm thinking of getting a Mossberg semi auto turkey gun that I can use for home defense. From what I understand they hold a tighter pattern (24inch barrel) some of the shorter barrel guns. I have an AR in 5.56 that I can use aloo this will just be a backup.

So would I be better with a tight pattern or something wider probably used 20yds or closer.

Also what are your thoughts on mounting a strikefire red dot on a shotgun

2. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

A turkey choke is very tight. Too tight for ideal defensive use IMO. I like a cylinder bore or improved cylinder in a defensive shotgun. This will give the greatest versatility with the shotty, which is their big advantage to begin with. Buckshot will serve you well out of a cylinder bore & you have the option of slugs. If you want tighter patterns than the average #1 or 00 Buckshot gives you, Federal makes a fantastic 8 pellet 00 reduced recoil load with flite control wad that will usually give you fist sized patterns at HD ranges. Hornady TAP buckshot uses the same flite control wad technology, but it ain't reduced recoil

PATTERN YOUR SHOTGUN WITH YOUR CHOSEN LOADS.

Good luck.

capnjim01 likes this.

3. Triple Taps

Triple Taps

If you hold the gun against the head of the person as he breaks into your home, then either pattern will be just fine.

capnjim01 likes this.
  4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Keep in mind that the Federal Flite Control technology that everyone is so fond of will generally pattern worse with tighter chokes. Improved Cylinder seems to produce the best groups. The wad is responsible for the pattern not the choke and the more you distort the shot column with a flite control shell the worse the pattern gets. Seems to work that way with steel shot and flite control wads as well.

5. chiefjack

chiefjack

I have owned a Mossberg 500 pump for many years. I had a gunsmith friend cut a barrel to 22 inches and install a RemChoke in it. Makes a great hunting gun for all uses and it is very mobile for home defense. I use Imp. Cyl. for home defense and #4 buckshot.

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

An 18 1/2 inch barrel is better for home defense because it's more maneuverable in close quarters. There are many 18 1/2" barels that are thick enough to be cut for choke tubes and then you can have as tight a choke as you want, but why?

I don't know why you'd want or need a tight choke for the kind of down-the-hallway distances you'd likely encounter in home defense situations, but if that's what tickles your fancy, contact Mossberg and ask them if their model 930 Tactical 8 Shot SPX swith it's 18.5 inch barrel is thick enough to be threaded for screw-in chokes.

Mossberg: Tel: (203) 230-5300 upload_2020-6-10_13-22-0.png | 8:00am-4:30pm Eastern

capnjim01 likes this.
  7. MajorD

MajorD

For the purposes of home defense, the shotgun is employed as essentially a very large bore rifle. A tight pattern to minimize pellets possibly impacting an unintended target is what you want.
    Don’t believe the old mythology of not needing to aim or that a hip shot will fill a hallway ten feet away with a wall of lead.
    At home defense ranges the cylinder bore ( which is the largest choke size by the way) will generally keep all pellets at 7 yards in an area the size of your fist or smaller.
    If not for issues with over penetration ( which is one of the selling points for using a shotgun to begin with) solid slugs would be highly effective

8. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

I run a cylinder bore M930, with 8 rounds of #4 buckshot. I run the #4 because it provides a little more tissue damage at close range, and a modest reduction in wall penetration. I actually want some spread to maximize effectiveness of a slightly off-center hit, even if it means a few pellets do go wide.

That said, all my reloads on the gun are slugs. I figure if I am still fighting after even a few rounds of buckshot, cover or distance are likely involved. And, as somebody mentioned above, a slug is still plenty effective at 1 foot.