Pattern of a shotgun close range. How much easier to hit than with rifle?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by alfred10, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Puppy

Puppy

One thing that hasn't yet been mentioned here in this thread but probably should be something to consider is that the chances of "disrupting a vital organ" with a shotgun are drastically increased over that of a single bullet fired from a rifle, simply because of the number of projectiles that a blast of buckshot delivers to its target.

2. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Good point.

(I always liked this graphic)

[​IMG]

3. BobbyT

BobbyT

A good rule of thumb for relatively close ranges is that the most spread to expect (say, an 18" barrel with no choke) is 1" per yard.

So that's smaller than a fist across a room, and even down your longest hallway not likely to be head-sized. You certainly have to aim.

4. Catswold

Catswold God rules all!

The myth of the "street sweeper" is hard to avoid. The real advantage of a 12g. shotgun is the fact that you are firing a .73 caliber projectile that weighs 500+ gr. at 1400fps.

500 X 1400 X 1400 / 450400 = 2176 muzzle energy

500 X 1400 / 7000 = 100 relative momentum

Taylor KO = 73

Of course all of that is somewhat modified by the fact that unless you are throwing slugs, your projectile is composed of pellets instead of a single lump.

-------------

As an elitist, I prefer #4 peasant load. :rofl:

5. LanceOregon

LanceOregon Guest

Absolute NONSENSE. BALLOON JUICE!!!

[​IMG]

The odds of anyone attacking you wearing body Armour is NIL. Practically NON-EXISTENT for all practical purposes.

That is hardly a step above worrying about killing Zombies.

As others have already pointed out, people are either shotgun or rifle folks. I've shot clay pigeons and bird hunted for over 40 years, so I'm used to hitting small rapidly moving targets at closer ranges with a shotgun.

If you don't hunt or target shoot with a shotgun, then forget it. Stick with your rifle.

6. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

This is greatly dependent upon the ammunition. Cheap Remington 00 buck sold in Wal-Mart will open up quickly. Federal Law Enforcement 00 buck with the "Flight Control Wad" is absolutely the best stuff on the market bar none. At 30 feet it will still make a wad sized hole in the target. I have personally seen this ammo perform out of a number of different shotguns. Try it you will not be disappointed.

[​IMG]

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

3", not much easier. :crying: