Patrol rifle carry bag

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by WooleyBooger, Apr 18, 2012.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OD G19

At my dept, we are allowed to carry our patrol rifle in trunk with mag inserted...since we don't have racks up front. Obviously I don't want my rifle flopping around back there. I'm having trouble finding a rifle bag locally that is wide enough to hold my AR15 with 30 round mag and aimpoint. I don't mind ordering one but would like to know it's going to work first.

Do any of you guys have experience with this? What do you use?

2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

TSA approved container ought to do just fine. Strap it down with a cord if you need to.

3. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

Does it have to be a hard case? cheaperthandirt.com has a bunch of soft rifle cases that are pretty good, the modgear stuff is cheapish and built well. I've got a drag bag from them and a double rifle square that would fit a 16" with optics and mag

4. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

My soft case is an eagle m16 case. It is able to hold my ar with aimpoint pro is main area and my 870 in smaller compartment. They retail for $120 but are usually on sale for $40 at Natchez shooter supply. I use the soft one for the range. If you are keeping it in the trunk I would go with a pelican hard case. They are pretty much bomb proof and you really don't have to worry about hurting your rifle if you are driving crazy. The pelican I have that fits mine with optic and mag inserted is the pelican 1720 if I remember right. Gives about 2" of foam all the way around the gun. Let me know if you want to see pictures or have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have a Pelican headcase as well and some soft cases. The rectangular ones from CTD are the ones you want. There is a bag made specially for the AR that accommodates everything you need and has tire down straps to prevent it from flopping around.

6. Cav

Cav

I have a Blackhawk or 5.11 Discrete Carry Case (IIRC). Its a padded soft case, not that discrete, but it holds a M4 well and has room for other items like extra mags, cuffs, etc...

Friends have tried the cheap cases a they just fall apart.

Majority of my tactical stuff is made by Eagle or Tactical Taylor as they tend to hold up well for hard use.

7. boomhower

boomhower

I had the same issue. After trying a cheaper option I finally ponied up and bought the 5.11 case. The quality is excellent and width isn't a problem. It holds mine with the a mag coupler and Aimpoint.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

8. Morris

Morris CLM

Mine runs in a Tac Tailor rifle bag. Enough padding to protect without being bulky. Simple exterior. Made in the USA. Yeah, a tad pricier than off shore made bags but worth it to me.

9. CW Mock

CW Mock

I use an Eagle industries "discreet" case, and it's been great. I carry an M5gery, Aimpoint M2 and 30 round mag with ranger plate, it it fits fine. Just about everything Eagle makes is pretty tough and works. I have had cheaper duty bags, gun bags etc ... And eventually I end up with Eagle.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I have lots of them. I keep going back to my Galati XT.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/category/XT.html

Mine is 6 years old and has held up through it all. It currently holds a DD M4 with Eotech and magnifier and a 30 round pmag with a ranger, inserted.

Mine is a 36". Has four mag pouches on the front and a zipper pouch for tools and stuff.

It survived a car accident, a trip off the back of our gator on the range and lives in my trunk with flares, cones, a nasty CSI box, etc.

Get one.

Sent from my Motorola StarTac

11. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

5.11, Blackhawk, Boyt, Eagle, Tactical Tailor, and literally dozens of other companies make what you are looking for.

I have used a Blackhawk bag for about six years for my AR with EOTech and 30 round mag inserted. I have been satisified with it.

13. Cochese

Cool thing about the CTD stuff is that it is sometimes unadvertised Eagle products.

Sent from my Motorola StarTac

14. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

or eagles red headed bastard child.... Condor

15. Cochese

16. SAR

SAR CLM

I use a 5.11 double rifle case. It's plenty big enough to carry with magazine inserted, if that's what you want to do, but I carry a double because my M4 carbine sits in there alongside my Benelli M4.

17. scottydl

scottydl

I bought this Winchester-branded case for $20 shipped last year:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LRK2G/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00"]Amazon.com: Winchester Assault Rifle Case: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hAyhUv1%2BL[email protected]@[email protected]@31hAyhUv1%2BL[/ame]
    (It's now out of stock on Amazon but can probably be located elsewhere online.)

It has just the right number of pockets, good padding and robust stitching/zipper. $50-80 is not "cheap" to me, for a case that's going to just hold a gun in the trunk... so I was thrilled to find this one. I have the same rifle setup as the OP.

18. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Wow didn't know they actually sold eagle. The majority of their Molle stuff is condor, a cheap Chinese knock off of eagle. Have to stop in there next time I work and check
    It out

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

19. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

My Colt rides around in a US Peacekeeper rifle case. It's barely big enough to get the rifle, a 30rd PMag and my optic in but it works for me.

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone.........

20. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey in ur rearview