close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

[Patriots] HB 1065 is now law

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by HK45Mark23, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23

Indiana Governor Daniels has signed into law HB 1065 which will protect gun owners from disciplinary action from their employers for having their firearms locked in their vehicles at the workplace and keeping government from confiscating guns during an emergency. http://www.indystar.com/article/20100318/NEWS05/3180511/Guns-at-work-bill-signed-by-Daniels

I want to thank all of the legislators who fought to get this bill passed and did so with true conviction. Also, we appreciate Ashley Varner, the NRA lobbyist, who spent days and weeks in the statehouse during all of the testimony in both houses on this bill and we appreciate the folks with the ISRPA who did a great deal of work in this matter, too.

Margie and I also want to thank all of you who responded to my e-mails and made those calls to the Governor requesting he sign this measure. This is truly STAYING UNITED. These things don't happen by laying up on the couch watching TV. Thanks to all of you.

There's no doubt that some will pick at the way this process worked or maybe that the bill doesn't go far enough or some other reason they just won't be satisfied. But let me point out that we could be dealing in a much different circumstance.

Two years ago there was a lot of gun owners who voted for Jill Long Thompson, the Democrat gubernatorial candidate who ran against Gov. Daniels. She would not have served gun owners well. As a congresswoman she voted for HR 1025 the Brady Handgun Bill in 1993. If she would now be our governor, I don't think we'd be seeing HB 1065 signed into law.

Some folks just don't take into account that though everything is not perfect we can sure make it a lot worse. The folks in Illinois in right are now just trying to get a law passed to get a carry license.

Getting the carry to the workplace and protecting the personal information of gun owners from the media and others who have no need for that passed into law, I'd say that was a good days work.

Great job tigers!!

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

2. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Baby steps. I work for an employer who bans all weapons on the premises including the parking garage. While I supported this bill, it really does nothing for me if I can't wear my side arm to work. I don't have any threats on my 4 mile drive to work and I have no interest leaving a gun in my car where it is more likely to be stolen than serve me in self-defense. I suppose some will benefit from this so I support it. But, I'd rather be allowed to carry at work.

3. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

This is the kind of law that doesn't mean a whole lot in practical application.

Awesome, so the employer can't can you for leaving a pistol in your car. Woo. But once he knows it's there and doesn't like it, he'll can you for being late, dressing inappropriately, or simply not doing the job the way he wants it done. Plenty of ways to fire people in the private sector. And the smart anti-gun employers won't ever mention the gun issue - not even once. Gun owners who work for the targets of these laws will still lose their jobs, only it'll be for something else.

I don't care who ya are - NOBODY is a perfect employee.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23

Firs I carry no matter what company policy is. I just never tell them.

Second there was a person in Evansville who had been a great employee for around 25 years who lost his job for having an ammo bag with ammo, no guns in his car. This happened in the lasts 6 months.

This bill will stop that type of employer abuses and not allow the employer to disarm you on your commute.

Again I carry no mater the company policy as it is not criminal to disobey a company policy.

5. Captain Bligh

Captain Bligh

Certain employers are exempt from the law. One would be wise to study the list.

6. seanmcp

seanmcp CLM

Sheesh. Issues like this are one reason I helped write our policy where I work; it's carefully worded such that the only folks who can't carry on site are employees of our vendors (they need to leave theirs in their vehicle; that said, that's due to an insurance issue, not our call) or people otherwise prohibited by law from carrying. KY law also has protection for keeping your firearm in your vehicle, so I'm glad IN has reached that milestone. Each state has pros and cons, and it takes constant effort to improve our states.

7. Pop Gunner

Pop Gunner

And where might I find this list Captain Bligh?
    I work for a major corporation,we were told if the company leases the property from a landlord then we are allowed to store pistols locked and out of sight on the leased property.
    Now if the company owns said property,they can write a company policy over ruling the state law,just for their benefit.
    Our Human resources rep. told us in person as this is in effect at 3 of our company locations thru out Ky.
    The property I work on in Castleton is a leased property,so I will benefit from the storage law come July 1st.

8. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Just don't complain when you get discovered and fired.

9. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23

I will never need a job so bad that I will compromise my personal security.

As of Feb 2004 I own an incorporated business and set my company policy.

If I did work and when I have worked for other employers I set my personal policies and my policy will always trump their policy.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I'm happy for you. No question that the best way around policy issues is to become the boss. Most of us are not in that situation. I work for a large corporation and my continued employment is more important than any policy issues I may have. So we conform in exchange for the security of continued employment and have to be content with that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  11. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23

Or maybe you can get a NAA 22lr or a Kel-Tec. I think the http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/ is a great little gun in 9mm but nearly the exact same size and weight as the Kel-Tec P-3AT.

I worked at a hospital for 4-5 months several years ago. They had a strict “No Weapons” policy. I not only carried my G-29 on my hip covered with my usual un-tucked shirt method, I also carried a class III Quick Silver 22 pen gun in my shirt pocket like a regular pen.

Just food for thought.

I never feel as if I am doing anything wrong. Their policy is only that “policy.” It is not law and has no legal effect.

If I lose my job, ok. If I happen to be there when a criminal is present and intent on committing a crime, then I am ready.

The new law just protects most employees from being fired if their employer find out that they are keeping their firearm locked in their car as to not be disarmed going to and from work.

Your car is a rolling castle and has the same legal status as your home. It is your castle and even if it is parked on some ones private property you should and now can keep your means of personal defense in your mobile castle.

Thus now your employer can’t fire your or create policy enacting your termination due to their anti firearm agenda.

However even before the new law, an employer could not bring any criminal charges against you if you carried against company policy to work, or left your weapon in your car. The only ramifications were termination. Ooooooh nooooo!!!

I’ll take my chances. I’ll not leave my weapon in my car as someone could break into my car and steel it.

I have even had my house broke into as I was at work one day and my small safe was violated. I lost 3 firearms equaling $5,000.00.