Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

[Patriots] A couple of items and HB 1065

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by HK45Mark23, Jan 21, 2010.

1. HK45Mark23

Evansvile / Newburgh, Indiana
    I want to let you all know what happened at the Indiana State House yesterday, but first I’ve got a few other comments to make. First, Margie and I want to thank all of the good folks who came to our campaign meeting Tuesday.

There must have been about 50 or more folks that jumped in and started writing out address and stuffing envelops. In about 2 hours we had over 1500 done. I also want to thank all those who took yard signs. We are going to plan to do these campaign meeting on a regular schedule, maybe the first and second Tuesday of each month until the primary. We’ll let you know the details and we appreciate all the help we can get.

Margie and I left about 3:30 AM yesterday to drive the three plus hours to the Indiana Capital in Indianapolis to file for the senate race. The day started out good and only got better. I was one of the first to file that morning which was the first day to do so.

We got a few pictures taken with the Indiana Secretary of State Todd Rokita when we were in his office filing and had a nice conversation with him. The whole day Margie and I had the opportunity to say hello to a lot of our friends who where there.

It was really a surprise when we were checking through the Barney Fife security check point at the state house as we heard a crowd of folks behind us calling our names. It was some of the good folks from South Bend who were present in the meeting we had up in that area last August. They drove three hours from the north and we all happened to walk in at the same time. That’s not coincidence, that’s Divine. What a great group of folks that were in that meeting last summer and how nice it is to have made so many friends as a result.

We also sat in on the hearing on HB 1065, Rep. Bischoff’s bill for carry to the workplace. It passed on a 10 to 1 vote, but it took on several amendments most of which had little impact on the language of the bill. But, the last amendment that was presented by Rep. Grubb shot a big hole in this bill. I was disappointed it passed and so was our good friends Bill Dowden and Charlie Hiltuna. It allows for exemption of some companies subject to the United State Department of Homeland Security’s Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards or the Maritime Transportation Security Act.

My concern is I don’t know the procedure for a company to register with either of those agencies and I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility that the Chamber of Commerce who has fought this measure every time we’ve tried to pass it that they would not seek a backdoor approach for businesses to apply for some kind of qualification to allow them that distinction.

This bill is coming out of a Democrat controlled House. There may be several factors involved in its process. Several in that party have fought us for years, but in this election year many of them have become Charleton Heston gun rights advocates. Whether this is all a make believe ploy for some or not there may be a showdown.

I got a call early this morning from our good friend Rep. Jackie Walorski who plans to introduce amendments on the House floor that would include carry on campus and also establish a stronger preemption in Indiana. We desperately need stronger preemption and there was none proposed this session. I’m sure these will kill this house bill; however it will smoke out the legislators who have been using this as a sly way to fool gun owners in to believing their pro gun in order to get elected again. If they are successful I don’t think we can expect them to be so pro gun next year.

I’d like to see this measure pass, but in its present form it will have serious short comings. We’ll see if the senate version, SB 25, of this bill will do better.

When we got home last night from Indy we got a call from TV Channel 7 asking what happened with HB 1065. It was the same young lady who brought the camera to our house last week for the interview about this measure. She called back again today to thank me and asked if there is anything she can do in the future with our 2nd Amendment Patriots. I told her that maybe she could put together a small segment about grassroots activism. She liked the idea and is going to bring it up tomorrow in their daily meeting. She's a shooter and so is her boy friend. We'll see what happens.

The final item I want to speak about is that we are very happy there are groups forming up to follow our lead. We wish all of them great success. I do want to draw attention to something that has helped us come this far over the years and that is the way in which we conduct our meetings.

Those who have attended our meetings know that we start off first with a prayer. Without the Divine guidance we’ve been blessed with over the years there is absolutely no way we could have enjoyed such accomplishments. The other point is that we keep our meetings family friendly. We do not use profanity when we express ourselves nor do we discuss topics that have content that would be offensive to our image and have no merit to our goals that we have set. I mention this so that all those groups who share our intentions can also reap the same benefits.

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots

Patriots mailing list