patric o'brian

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by jmims, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jmims

jmims

I just bought and am about half way through the aubery maturin series(The movie Master and Commander Far Side of the World was adapted from this series). It is a great set of books and it will take a good while to read them(probably 6 months or so). By far the best series of fiction books I have read(i am glad to say he replaced lib TC)

2. jacquejet

jacquejet

Try finding a biography of Thomas Lord Cockrane (the 10th Earl of Dundonald). He was the inspiration for the Jack Aubrey character. If Nelson was England's finest fleet commander, Cochrane was her finest single ship commander and of all the leaders of the Napoleanic Wars only Wellington out lived him. Many of the exploits of Cochrane appear in the O'Brian novels.

Another set of adventures that appears in the Aubrey series are those of Commodore Anson and his cruise in 1750 to harass the Spanish in the Pacific. The scene of Surprise rounding the Cape Horn is from the Anson voyage. Anson's voyage is also the historical starting point for O'Brian's "The Golden Ocean" and "The Unknown Shore." Also, the two main characters in the above books form the basis for Aubrey and Maturin in the books to follow.

3. unit 900

unit 900

Don't be pathological and read the entire series 7 or 8 times. Ask me how I know about that.

4. jacquejet

jacquejet

Only 6 or 7 times?

"The music-room in the Governor's House at Port Mahon, a tall, handsome, pillared octagon, was filled with the triumphant first movement of Locatelli's C major quartet."

5. jmims

jmims

WOW. Is this series more poular in the british kingdom. Very few here know of it?

6. unit 900

unit 900