close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Patients are getting bigger..

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Brian Dover, May 30, 2006.

1. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

As are U.S. citzens in general. Go to any large public gathering place and look for yourself.

My point is, how long do you think it will be until standard operating procedure in EMS will call for three-person ambulance crews? Do the math: 300+ pound "clients" are more common these days; that plus a stretcher make for a load that's a heckuva load for just two responders, ya know?

2. pevrs114

pevrs114 FarBeyondDriven

Eh, 300lb ain't nothin, unless stairs are involved!

I'd say the AVERAGE weight of all my patients is probably 160. The frail old ladies far outweigh the big bubbas...

Most cots are rated to 500lb

3. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

Most of my agency's litters are rated to 660 lbs. But we are in the process of putting together one or two bariatric ambos. I don't know the details but apparently it involves ramps and an electric winch...

4. FlaFF

FlaFF

We hauled out a 700lb'er the other day. Took eight of us.
    :freak:

FlaFF

5. D25

D25 The Quick

Bariatric high-angle rescue after a vehicular extrication!!!! That is the fun stuff.:freak:
    What are Stokes baskets rated to anyway?

6. kyfirefreak

kyfirefreak

we got 2 pt's that i know of in our small city that are over the limt on our cot which is 500

7. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

More XXLs than petites, for sure! Ladies included! It gets old and adds up after six or seven transports a shift.

8. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

Look at the mechanical edge.

Powered stretchers to help save our backs.

Also those stair chairs with the treads on them to let the chair "walk itself" down the stairs.

9. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

I say that if they are that fat when we get on scene that we need to wait for more crews....if they die, it's their own fault. (not that it's my fault anyway because i do everything i can to help every time, but i mean that it's their fault they had to wait for more help to lift)

Self Discipline = what 700lbs people dont have

10. D25

D25 The Quick

I love stair chairs. The tank treds work very well. The place I work at now has the little canvas seat with handles all around it so you can yard someone around, and I can't believe that someone has not hurt themselves using it.

As for the powered gurneys, I used to work for a FD that had the powered gurney that you stuck a SCBA bottle under it, and that powered the legs. I thought that it was too unwieldy, cumbersome, and difficult to opperate to truely be effective. It was welcome when we had a big patient, but 90% of the time it was a burden. Does anyone have experience with some of the other powered gurneys?

11. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

While I was in Balt @ firehouse expo, and then in New Orleans @ EMS Expo I played with the powered rugged. It's powered by a dewaly 18v battery. Smae as in your household or FD drill/sawzall/saw. Pretty cool. Are they heavier than a regular stretcher? Yeah, buy you know what? We shouldn't be toting stretchers around. They have wheels for a reason. The controls were very user friendly and the product seemed to be quite nice.

I also got a chance to play with the Ferno powered stretcher. I didn't like it as much. The controls weren't as nice, nor was the battery in a convient place. Although it did have a jack to plug it in while the stretcher is in a locked position.