close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Passwording a folder?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MrsKitty, Feb 5, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Can I password a folder with XP Pro?

All service packs/hotfixes/whatnots are up to date.

I have to send my system in for repair and I want to keep my pics PRIVATE. Is there a way for me to do that? They are all stored in a single tree (ex: Jen's Pics ---> folders sorted by date/subject/so on).

Everything is backed up, twice. I occasionally sell a pic so I don't want anybody else poking around in there. Nothing to hide, I just don't want to share.

2. geekboy

geekboy Glock Lover

The only thing I can think of is to ZIP them all up and encrypt that file with a password. :)

Besides, you're not supposed to have those types of photos on your computer.

3. 65Mustang

65Mustang Jr. Engineer

Tryin' to "conceal" the photos of the wifey/girlfriend are we? ;)

I don't know of anything that is a free program but this is what I use. http://www.fridaysoft.com/

It's called "file secure" and seems to do the job. I must admit though, if you are sending the system in for repair, chances are the tech may know more than the average joe, and can bypass the security. Maybe someone else can chime in with a tip.

:cool:

4. Toyman

Toyman

It doesn't really matter, the drive will be blank when it comes back from repair anyway. :)

5. 65Mustang

65Mustang Jr. Engineer

only after they image it to get all your info!!

:cool:

6. prism

prism more ammo

7. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I work at a company that repairs computers. truecrypt is probably the only thing i know of that you can setup that will work.

any zip or simple program probably has a hack for it, and the guys working on it probably have a crack for it; or some "password recovery" software.

The good news is that they are probably too busy to spend time looking at your personal stuff. Truecrypt will work, though.

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Those pics are some of the over 10K pics I have shot in the last year. Photography is one of my hobbies and being as I sell a few shots, and do some work for a magazine, I would like to keep them away from outside eyes. :)

Thanks for the advice guys! :wavey:

I dropped my laptop off and I swear it would have been easier to leave one of my cats there than it.

The worst thing is that I can't do any digital photography until I get it back. This laptop is not capable of handling large images and I don't have a CD burner on here anyway. I can shoot and borrow on to burn straight to CD...I guess I could shot in JPEG so I could at least access the pics but I can't do any manipulation (although I try to avoid that).

To keep myself occupied while it is gone, I ordered darkroom chemicals and a few things I didn't have and plan to get that set up and going :supergrin:

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Many years ago, my mom was taking a computer class and did some experimenting with passwords. Of couse, she forgot the passwords and I have had absolutely no luck at cracking them. Best as I could do was find out how many charachters were in them. We had a long discussion about passwords after that :rofl:

10. WhatYouWant

WhatYouWant Duh!

Miskitty,

I want to see some of those pictures you take! How about some of the hills of NC? ;)

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I don't have a single one hosted anywhere right now. There is no way this laptop will allow me to do any work with an image that size either. You are gonna have to wait until I get my baby back :sad:

12. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Microsoft Private Folder works well. You'll have to Google it, MS stopped allowing people to download it after pressure from corporations. They didn't want users to have the ability to hide data from them.