Passenger Vehicle Safety Comparisons

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MarkCO, Jun 1, 2020.

1. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

Just because a vehicle was crashed seven times does not mean that it had the same driver each time.

MarkCO likes this.
  2. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    [​IMG]

MarkCO likes this.

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

7 is a lot of accidents. A lot.

n2g likes this.
  4. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Okay, how does ANYONE wreck a vehicle seven times?
    How does a FAMILY wreck a vehicle seven times?
    How does any group of people who share the experience of driving a single vehicle somehow manage to wreck said vehicle SEVEN ****ING TIMES? (In addition to all the deer/elk strikes)

This group of people, collectively, should consider corrective eyewear and/or significant driving instruction.

Detectorist likes this.
  5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

You seem awfully invested in this, but regardless...

I bought a Honda Pilot in Dec 2017. It's been in three accidents since then, none of those accidents have been my fault or my wife's fault. One accident involved me striking a curb and destroying a tire and rim to avoid an accident due to someone else running a stop sign. Another one happened when my wife got rear-ended at a red light. The third involved a hit and run in a parking lot. That is in less than three years of ownership.

My father in law had five separate deer strikes in his Traverse, all with him behind the wheel in the span of about 8 years.

**** happens sometimes.

MarkCO likes this.
  6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nah. Not invested. Just a little pissed at the OP's ****ty response to what was intended as a light-hearted comment.

7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

A couple thoughts...

I had read several years ago that while SUVs are safer in accidents with other cars, they are also more likely to get into non collision rollover accidents and so they weren't any safer in the end.

Would be interesting to know if minivans are more likely to have young occupants, and injuries or deaths because of that.

8. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

SUV rollovers in the era of the Blazer II, the Trooper II and the Bronco II, were really an issue. Some believed it was the "II" but it was really the design of those first downsized SUVs that was the problem. High roll centers and car like handling took many a life and arm. I actually participated in one .gov funded rollover study as the safety guy and another one as an engineer. We built racks to keep them from actually rolling. Then of course we tried to race them tipped onto two wheels...but I digress.

I have worked on a lot of accidents where Mom, even Mom and Dad was killed, and the kids in boosters or car seats were virtually unscathed. Even kids in back seats with seatbelts often fare better than adults in front seats. So no, I have not seen any data to suggest that death rate in mini-vans is multiplied by the fact that there are usually kids. That said, in T-bones to the side of a mini-van, whoever is in the intrusion zone is often a fatality regardless of age, airbags or car seats. I did an accident in Colorado Springs many years ago where a small SUV was rear-ended at a high rate of speed. Mom, in driver seat died instantly. Baby in car seat (properly installed) right behind her was pulled from the wreckage 30m later with a few small scratches and a bruise on the arm. Anecdotal sure, but I have seen similar occurrences.

9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

He must've wrecked it the most and took offense. :animlol:

10. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

If you really want safer roads, then cars should come with one of these installed.
    unnamed.jpg
    The spike, not the purple leopard spot upholstery.

MarkCO and FullClip like this.
  11. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

The more you reply, the worse it looks. Not one person believes it was a light-hearted comment. You are invested because you made a terrible assumption and can't bring yourself to admit it and move on when you were called on it.