Passenger Vehicle Safety Comparisons

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MarkCO, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

Well that brings back memories. When I was a kid, we used to visit my older brother in Houston. I'll never forget the huge billboards on that stretch of two lane warning to drive carefully and listing the number of deaths. Mom would tell Dad to keep both hands on the wheel! Dad was a two finger driver most of the time.

2. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

I was an early adopter of the Sequoia; traded a Suburban for one in 2002. My son is driving it now. It is a tank. After I gave it to him, I missed it so much, I bought another one, a 2017. It's our road trip vehicle and is even more of a tank than the '02. It weighs three tons!. Big, safe, sure footed (AWD is very similar to the Land Cruiser), comfortable... and very thirsty. The old school V8 has gobs of power, but guzzles fuel at 17-18 MPG on the highway. The Sequoia is due for a major refresh soon. The current model has been around since 2008 with only minor changes.

3. slym2none

slym2none

2008 Mazda Tribute.

"In government crash testing, the Tribute scores five stars in side impact front and rear, five stars in frontal impact for the passenger, and three stars in frontal impact for the driver." from https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2008-Mazda-Tribute/safety-ratings/

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Modern truck frames are similar to unit-body vehicles, in that they have sacrificial front sections of the frame that are designed to deform and crumple, to absorb impact energy. That means that suspension and drive-train components can get pushed into the foot-wells of the cabin, causing lower extremity injuries. Whereas older truck frames were extremely strong, from one end to the other, weren't designed to crumple. Therefore keeping the suspension and drive-train in place, rather than pushing them into the cabin.

I don't think it's the change from solid live axle front suspensions that's causing the increase in lower extremity injuries, rather it's that the change to IFS happened at about the same time that the frame structures were being engineered with crumple zone sections at the front. Also, SLFASs were prevalent on older trucks with structurally stronger frames, but SLFASs don't in and of themselves provide any better structural strength.

Actually, old SLFAs and SLRAs are prone to just sheer off in bad accidents, and therefore there was/is simply fewer components to enter the cabin/foot-wells. That might be part of the explanation too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member CLM

Wife has been in a full size truck or SUV for 19 years. We bought a Suburban about a year before we got pregnant. Current is a 2011 1500 Dodge Truck. I have a 2006GTO and a 2009 Tahoe. The GTO is mostly driven out of the city and only when the temp won't go below 45F.

The Tahoe replaced the 2003 Silverado that I gave my son when he turned 16. He has been in a few accidents, the last did the Silverado in...35 mph rollover...he walked away without a bruise. The silverado had hit 3Elk, 2 deer, been in 7 accidents over the course of 17 years. It was big, had an ARB bumper on the front and a drop hitch on the rear. That $1600 of front and rear gear greatly enhanced the safety, and we only had to do minor sheet metal and light pod repairs due to the accidents.

4Runners and Sequoias are pretty safe. I have been pretty impressed with Genesis of late. Volvo, yes the movie quote was true, boxy but good. Sad thing is, there are not many "inexpensive" cars that I would put high on the overall safety spectrum. There is always a cost benefit analysis, and for years, when asked, I told parents to put their kids in a Saturn or a Ford Taurus (and the names they call them now, as well as the cheaper Marquis). Get a body shop to run a diagnostics on the airbag system and done. They are cheap, not sexy at all, but those two platforms, for the money, are two of the safest in a crash. I'd rather put a teenager into a full size truck if possible, then mid-sized 4 door sedans. I'd never put a Mom in a minivan. The better a driver a person is, the more they can discount overall crashworthiness. I have been hit 8 times (only at fault accident when I was 16) and in each case, I saw it coming and made some changes to mitigate in 5 of them. That can be, from a liability perspective, a risky move.

If you took our Dodge and Tahoe today, I'd replace them with the heaviest Genesis and a 2500 Dodge, but that is based on our needs and utilization as well.

Better money than spending an extra $4K to get a safer car is a performance/safety driving class. Not driver ed, but a good one. The book "Drive to Survive" is one I keep buying copies of and handing them out, also a good use of $12.

Maccabeus likes this.
  6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

7. Current Resident

Current Resident

I had a 1978, I know what he meant. I called it the Lumber Wagon.

8. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Why would anyone want to survive as a vegetable or quadrapalegic

9. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Jesus.
    Maybe some driving classes might be a good investment? Or corrective eyewear? How do you wreck one vehicle seven times? That tops anything Danica Patrick ever managed.

bipe215 likes this.
  10. MarkCO

For you, invest in a reading comprehension course. Go read my post again, slowly, and you will see that I did not "wreck one vehicle seven times".

ZekerMan likes this.
  11. MarkCO

Saving the head and torso from the most severe impacts, which the insurance industry wanted, is something some will say, at least in private, has cost them a small amount of profit, and significantly increased insurance rates in the US. More survivors with life long care needed. Cars totalled because the airbag systems cost so much to replace and recalibrate.

Ready for the sucker punch??? Self correcting cars. The cost to recalibrate those systems is going to be astronomical. Audits of cars repaired that have these systems shows that only about 10 to 15% are properly re-calibrated after an MVA and subsequent repair. What Americans "think" is going to save money and lives, will, in the end cost more. And that is provided the elephant in the room can be addressed...a 20 something programmer making moral life and death decisions as he codes the avoidance algorithms.

mike from st pe likes this.
  12. railfancwb

railfancwb

My first car was a 1955 Pontiac two door sedan, three on the tree, pretty basic. But someone in its history had added front seat belts. So I was accustomed to and appreciated seat belts well before it was cool.

ZekerMan and Budqweiser like this.
  13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Yeah. Those "high performance driver education" events are always fun...but now it is so far at High Plains Raceway for the driver training....sometimes CSP has "driver training" days at their training facility.

14. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Hey. Bet Danica is hawter...

MarkCO likes this.
  15. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Interesting question, but with autonomous cars, programming of what to hit is required.

If your car "sees" a semi a truck and a pedestrian and can't avoid a collision with one or the other, then it has to make a decision. A driver would have to make the same decision. But now the decision is a pre-calculated decision and algorithm. That seems really bad for liability to program in a for a car to pick the least bad of two two bad options.

MarkCO likes this.
  16. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Once in a while I wish I had sumthin' like this..
    [​IMG]

ZekerMan and MarkCO like this.
  17. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Let me quote you:
    "The silverado had hit 3Elk, 2 deer, been in 7 accidents over the course of 17 years."

That's your complete sentence.
    WTF else is that sentence supposed to mean?

18. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    The “new car” configuration and execution of my Mustang’s lane keeper, adaptive cruise, auto high beams and pre-accident braking calibrations are impeccable. I’m pretty much in awe of how well they work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarkCO likes this.
  19. MarkCO

Exactly what it means, why I suggested the class for you.

20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble FullClip CANT BREATHE!!!!!

He didn't say he wrecked it 7 times. That was your assumption.

MarkCO and pittpa like this.