Passed my IFR checkride

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ChinaCave, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ChinaCave

ChinaCave

I'm a happy camper.

After 2 1/2 years of on-again, off-again effort, on 2/24/07; winds 15G35, LL Turb and W/S + Volcanic ash NOTAMS in VA. (did Willamsburg Blow?? - WTF?) on the day of the oral and practical, I nailed my test.

Still have a long way to go 'till fileing nasty IMC, but, man, I am pleased.

If anyone needs / is looking for an ace instructor in the NYC downstate /Eastern Ct. area, I can HIGHLY reccomend Vince P. PM for contact info. He made SURE I was more than up to the task.

Now, can somebody tell me what do those little dials and pointer things mean???

2. Glocker45

Glocker45

Congratulations!

How was your checkride? I am thinking of starting my instrument here in a month or two and am curious of what to expect.

3. ChinaCave

ChinaCave

Like the Check ride for my private ticket, it was much less a nasty challanging / confrontational oral and flite test, but like a friendly tutorial. It also depends on your check air-persojn, or course. This guy was really nice, and fun to chat with.

Plus my instructor has a well-deserved reputation of only sending folks for the test when they are REALLY well prepaired.

The problem I had was with the written test, finding the self-discipline to self-study. I have taken a formal 2x / week course more than 2 years ago, and I would Highly reccomend that, in cunjunction with the very well done Sporty's DVD IFR course. Forget the King s - they are a sleep-inducer...

CC

4. Beeg

Beeg

Congratulations! That was the toughest one for me. I had a hard time getting my head around NDB approaches but once I did I saw the beauty and simplicity of them. Too bad they're going away.

5. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

Congratulations on a job well done and kudos to your IP as well!

Always remember your personal limitations and fly "comfortably"!
    Do not press your own limits to satisfy a friend, business associate, etc.

Instrument currency is like bread-it is a perishable skill that you do not want to "spoil" as you are tackling a night IMC approach to a snow covered runway at or near mins.

Being certified to fly in IMC will open up more flying opportunities for you, but those can become opportunities to "excel" as well. Use good judgment in selecting those opportunities.

FLY SAFE !:thumbsup: