close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Parvo

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by mpol777, Mar 4, 2006.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I just took one of my new pups to the hospital this morning. He tested positive for parvo. We caught it early and the doc thinks he'll pull through.

This pup has ALL of the shots he needed at his age (9 weeks). He also deteriorated in about 36 hours. Mostly in the last 12. DO NOT mess around with this stuff. If your pup is throwing up or his stool starts to look like snot, get him on pedialite immediately. Even if it is parvo, they'll need the liquid and electrolytes. If it's not, no harm.

The early stages look like normal puppy things. Stool gets a little soft. Small vomiting. Usual things from eating dirt, furniture, their own feet. If it starts to get worse, get your pup to the vet ASAP.

I've seen parvo before. I've never seen it go this fast. Especially not on a dog that's had its shots. The vet said it's a slightly different strain. There's third that KILLS in 24hrs. Our coyote population got hit hard by parvo this year.

The only thing that can kill the virus is bleach. 30:1 mix with water is good. It's tough and can live on the ground for a year. So once you have it around, it's pretty much there. Let other folks know not to bring their pups over. Our house is pretty much off-limits now for new pups for at least a year.

[​IMG]

2. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

;w Prayers for a speedy recovery. What breed is he?

;g

;8 ;I

3. scowall

scowall

i hope and pray everything turns out okay, this is why all my dogs only go to sch trials and back home, vet comes to my kennels for all checkups,parvo is not something to mess around with it can and most times will be fatal,,,,,,,,thanks Scott

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

He's a airedale/bloodhound cross. Has already been working his nose on kangaroo rats. I can't bring myself to think about losing him, so I'm keeping positive. He's a tough little SOB.

5. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

best wishes for a speedy recovery ;w

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Waylon held down his food today and the doc said he should be out of the hospital tomorrow. It's been a long few days, but all is well that ends well.

~woohoo~

7. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

That's GREAT NEWS DUDE!

;g

;8 ;I