Participation Trophies

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Staffordshire, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

77384D6C-D526-4A02-B712-DC01ADF841EC.jpeg I’ve read many threads concerning the younger generation and their way of thinking about things, and participation trophies get thrown into the mix.

I went by my parents house today and they had something for me that they had found stored. My old football trophies from grades 4-6. And guess what? Three of the four trophies were participation trophies dated 1977-79. The bigger one was an actual award as the Most Improved Player. And yes, it was the one I was most proud of and the others were basically meaningless.

I had forgotten about those trophies that everyone got and can’t remember ever getting any in baseball. But, I guess the point of the thread is that participation trophies have been around a lot longer than the current crop of young people as I’m now 52. Or either there are a lot of 70+ Glocktalkers and I actually am part of the younger crowd.

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Baby steps.

We old timers had notches on the bed post.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Only RICH old timers had a bed.

4. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Perfect Attendance Award: You Showed Up

5. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

Only rich bourgeoisie had time to SLEEP!!!

Bus007, DrVlad and FullClip like this.
  6. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Same here, man. I think it’s humorous the way we carry on like our grandparents did about those young whippersnappers.

7. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

Pretty funny, I also got a "Most Improved Player" trophy in my first year of Little League in the mid 70s. Although most of the trophies were for some meaningless accomplishment, everyone on the team got a trophy

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Like the Homer Simpson workplace award for “High Achievement in the Field of Excellence.”

Useless.....

9. bfg1971

bfg1971

My first trophy was 3rd place US Open Nationals Martial Arts Tournament 1991 lightweight beginner division. I think it is 8 inches tall. My daughter's first trophy was participation at a cheer comp. I think it is 14 inches. I still have mine somewhere daughter threw hers away before our last move.

10. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert

Sons old shotokan karate Class gave a small trophy and something with each belt, I declined them.
    EARNING your next belt is prize enough!
    His new MMA gym only gives the belt when earned, I like this much better.
    They get small marker marks after every class, and after 16 marks they can test for next belt.

I deliberately skip many of these marks if I feel my son has not put forth enough effort, or does not know the move, or know it correctly.

Wanted to sign him up for the Shorin ryu style, but was too expensive, and they had moved. Many times the past years.
    Hard to find a good long term dojo, as many of them fail every couple years.

Bus007 likes this.
  11. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I think I had a few participant ribbons from track meets way back when. My brothers and sisters were ruthless and I would have been better off without the ribbons at all. Then I started winning. Then it was my turn.

Trying to remember the ribbon colors...blue red then gold? Most of mine were blue and red. Participant was Green I think?

12. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

All my participant ribbons said 1st., 2nd., or 3rd on them. Just threw out the last 3rd.Place archery trophy I won when I was like 8 or so. I guess that would be around 1976.

Now I look forward to the $10 1st. and 2nd. Place GSSF Glock team plaques, they get hung on the wall of the range I frequent.

...Ron

13. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

I have very few, but this is my favorite:
    IMG_2138.JPG

'Won' it about fifteen years ago at a Miata Club event - the guy who set it up had a great sense of humor, and my navigator and I managed to make a wrong turn. It was a combination of time and mileage, so despite my best efforts to unwind some of the excess distance by driving several miles in reverse we'd just gotten too far off track to recover and had completely screwed the pooch. I thought it was hysterical that he'd made a trophy for last place, too, and proudly display it on the bookshelf.

-Pat

syntaxerrorsix and Budqweiser like this.
  14. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Dead last is no simple participation trophy. That’s takes some doing. Congratulations. That is a real memory.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  15. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

It was definitely a fun day. My friend Barb, who was navigating, didn't know at the time that you could unwind mileage from a mechanical odometer by driving backwards, so she was at first a bit perplexed when I backed onto a narrow country road and started driving like a lunatic in reverse. Once I explained, she just sat there rolling her eyes and laughing at me. Later actually got her to cover her eyes as we went through a series of curves I was familiar with at a good clip trying to make up time, too, and scaring her took some doing. Unwound probably five miles or so in total, but between mileage and the extra time, we were still toast overall.

-Pat

Budqweiser likes this.
  16. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I had three trophies when I was kid. All first place for two different recreational soccer teams.

It was later in life when I received my first participation awards, they were called the Army Certificate of Achievement. It let you know that your leadership was too lazy to actually put you in for the Army Achievement Medal they were going to get for the same action ;)

17. Bud0505

Bud0505

My first participation trophy was in 1964 I was 14. It was called a pay stub. Stock clerk and bag boy at local IGA store. The next one came in 1973. A National Defense Service Medal.