close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Part time jobs for college students. I can't find one.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by big1911, Jun 21, 2012.

1. big1911

big1911

Hey everyone. What are good part time jobs for a college student? I mean one that only works like 10 hours a week. I've applied for a campus job but they never call me back and there is not a lot of them.

I recently quit my retail job because I'm taking more credit hours so I was hoping to get a campus job since I'm at school all the time anyways. My parents don't think I should work for low pay while taking 18 credit hours.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Check with UPS. The work is closer to 20-hrs/week, approximately 4-hrs/day X 5-days (Monday through Friday). Good pay, excellent health benefits, and they have several shifts during the day and night that you can choose from.

After the crappy service I got from the VA hospital, I was glad to have the health benefits working for UPS as a Teamster (yes, union).

3. big1911

big1911

I know about UPS but it's a far drive and wouldn't really be worth the gas.

If I was a vet I would never go get treatment at the VA! They're terrible.

4. hpracing007

hpracing007

My advice is to listen to your parents, unless you are sure you can hit your gpa target (which should be 4.0) while working. I took 17-18 hrs a semester and worked nearly full time to graduate debt free and if you think finding a part time job is hard, imagine trying to find a full time one without a good gpa.

I worked mostly as a cashier, then a registered pharmacy tech (that takes a little studying but pays decent).

If you want somewhat easy cash, buy and resell books. What I did was buy up a ton of used books at the end of the semester (usually from people in my class, give them a little more than the book store will, which is very low). Newer editions are the best. Then next semester comes around, either post ads, work the book store (like actually walk up to people in line and sell sell sell!), or go to the professors new class and unload. Quick cash.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  5. BamaAL24

BamaAL24

Look for an attorney's office close to your school. The pay won't be great but it will keep change in your pocket and many look to have students for a few hours per week. Typically answer phones, file papers, deliver things to the courthouse/bank/clients. Not a bad gig

6. denn1911

denn1911

When I was in college (15 credits), I had two part time jobs. Three evenings a week (12 hrs. total), I worked as an aqua engineer (dish washer) at a restaurant. I also had a part-time daytime job during the week (10-15 hrs.) around classes. I put myself through college. Everything worked out well. Do to location and time restraints, keep trying for a campus job. Good luck.

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Valet - restaurant, country club. Walk away with cash every day, stay fit.

8. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

While in school, I worked part-time at a CD store in the mall. The local bank had summer teller positions, and I would do that from May-August.

9. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

Check your local Wal-Mart, try hospitals too. I was a janitor at a hospital my first two years of college. What a great job, left alone listening to my Walkman (google it young fella, yes it played cassette's)cleaning Dr's office at the end of the day. I worked 5pm-9pm 5 days a week. Flirting with nurses and candy stripers. Watching badass videos in the OB/GYN office :)

Also try local hotels and see if you can get on the banquet staff. They hire in the summer for tourist season. Bell staff would be even better. That was another rad job I had. Especially on the overnight shift. Met Pearl Jam before they were "Pearl Jam", Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Queensryche, Corrosions of Conformity, and a bunch of minor/some major celebrities. On sundays for travel and tour checkout day it was not uncommon for me to walk out after a 8 hour shift with $100 in my pocket.

Look for window washing companies. They can show you the technique in a few hours and always need someone to hold ladders and other ****. That's a good summer job.

Check the golf courses and senior centers as well.

Good luck man!

10. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

If we knew where you lived, it would be helpful.

Some areas of this country are pretty hard hit, and trying to find even part time work is almost impossible.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Find a physical security job. I am not talking about the guys with guns guarding bank trucks. I am thinking about the guys who job it is to sit and watch stuff after hours. As I understand it, if you get the right job you get paid to sit and study. If you get the wrong job you have to sit and watch active monitors or be presentable for the client.

BTW, to get the right spot usually means working 2nd or 3rd shirt and/or weekends.

12. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Man whore? :dunno: Find out where the rich cougars hang out.

13. TactiCool

TactiCool

I'm in a similar situation to what you are currently in, needing a part time job for the summer. If you want to make enough money for your time to be worthwhile, then I recommend that you consider landscaping as an option. Depending on the job, I usually make between $12-$15 per hour after taxes. Some companies will even pay upwards of $20 an hour because the demand is so high right now.

Keep in mind though, the work is not for the faint of heart. Mostly, there will be digging and planting involved, and if you are working part time for a company, then you will be getting the drudge work. An average work day for me starts at 8:00 in the morning and ends around 6:00 in the evening.

About two weeks ago, a client wanted to build a bulkhead around his dock on his private lake and had pre-ordered the stones he wanted to use. They were, in fact, 50-75 lb. boulders that weighed, in total, 12,000 lbs. My crew of three and I had to get into the lake and stack them all by hand and then anchor them in place.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Security is definitely a possibility. Like was said above.. it's all about "the right gig". You sometimes can find something where you're just sitting in a shack logging trucks in.

Also, what are you studying? Possible you can find a place that wants to hire you part time while you complete your studies? You might find this works out to where you have a job when you graduate.

15. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I know someone who put himself through RN school driving a cab. He did a lot of studying sitting in the cab in front of Vegas hotels waiting on a fare.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That's a dangerous line of work.. I feel safer working in a jail.

17. tuica

tuica

Security guard! Most shift are swing, and you can study (usually) while at your post. Clear this with company before signing on. The company where I worked had positions labeled "study-posts." I worked at this while attending college; made one twenty minute walking patrol per hour, studied the remainder of the time. Excercise, and paid study time - tough to beat. During good weather months paint houses, mow yards, landscaping, etc. A smart, motivated person will always find work! Good Luck!

18. Ragnar

Ragnar

Depending on what city you live in, there may be part-time jobs posing as an Occutard.

19. spork

spork Caffeinator

I worked several different jobs in college, but the easiest was working for a sorority. I basically cooked and presented meals, did light maintenance, etc. It was actually fun as well. If you are around campus anyway, it would be convenient.

20. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"That's a dangerous line of work.."

And some jobs are too dirty and some are too hard and some are too hot and some are this and some are that. I guess it all depends on if a man really wants to work or not.

John