close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Parmesean cheese, cheese snobs and poor excuses there of...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by moeman, Feb 27, 2004.

1. moeman

moeman

(Mind you this is being written by a guy who's mom is from Abruzzi, Italy, I am a snob in this regard.)

Please, please don't tell me you think that parmesean chesse comes in tall, green colored, cylindrical canisters. That's pure cr*p! Its more like wax than cheese. You might as well find some one with dandruff and shake their head over your pasta-- its probably salty too.

And that stuff that comes in little foil pouches that are the some size as a wrapped condom, geez the thought of it is better birth control than the condom itself.

If you already buy the good stuff go to the last paragraph, if you haven't tried the real McCoy read on...

If you haven't already, buy some real parmesean, from Italy. Yeah I know $16/ per pound sounds like a lot for the king of parmesean: Parmigiano Reggiano; but hey its takes TWO to THREE YEARS to make it. Dang, Kraft parmesean probably takes 2-3 hours to make and that's only allowing for the glue on foil wrap on the can to dry.

It doesn't take a lot of real parmesean to get the flavor into what your eating; its intense and complex and mysterious in flavor. The real stuff lasts a really long time-- and you can even get it at COSTCO.

If your still reading and want to tell me about another great ingrediant where you shouldn't skimp, please let me know. Any other great "have to have" item in your mind??

P.S. Don't get me started on Balsamic vinegar

;a green

2. 9mm4me

9mm4me

I really like piccorinni romano cheese. I find I prefer the flavor to parmesan.

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Pecorino Romano?

Oooooh, sheepy!

;c

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Behold the power of cheese.

The price of Parmigiano Reggiano will put you into a coma. I once saw an uncut wheel at a Fresh Market in Columbia, SC and asked the store manager how much they take for it. Something like five grand.

I prefer the sheep's milk cheeses for everyday use, though. First, they're less expensive. They also have a sharper taste which stands up well to tomato sauces. Best bet is to buy small samples as some are a bit salty.

I do keep a green can of "powdered wax" on hand for emergencies and it had better be an emergency because that stuff is just awful once you've had the real thing.

5. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

The Argentineans do something called "Regianito" and is a less expensive version of Italy's Regiano Parm...

It's real good, but I've never tasted them side by side at the same time...

It's always available here in Tampa at the Italian grocery stores...
    I've made Alfredo sauce with it on a few occasions and it was blazin'...

Check it ooot!

;c

6. moeman

moeman

I agree with the comments about Pecorino Romano. Its a great cheese too. Very good in spicy dishes as its taste has some "get up and go" to it. Watch out for salt in the dish the pecorino will bring saly flavor in too.

There are two other cheeses that are fantastic from Italy... Asaigo and Fontina. Fontina melts really well is way better than 95%+ of domestic mozzarella and isn't pricey. A four cheese blend of these cheese in order of amount is great for pizza and lasagna.

Fontina, mozzerella, asaigo, then parmesean (or romano)

For those who like it spicy replace either the fontina or mozzerla with pepper jack-- great on pizza or nachos.

Oh yeah, there are some cheese blend available at markets and they range from stiff milk flavor (bland) to O.K. Using at least two of the real Mc Coys a home made mix will be better.

Any of you Brits want to start a thread about great Cheddars, stiltons, ports... I could use some enlightenment!

7. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

I can't keep good parmesan in the house--because it's the best "eating" cheese out there. It comes into the house (at the aforementioned $16/lb) and is gone in two days.

Peccorino ROmano lasts longer--I love cooking with it, not so fond of eating slices of it. It's also cheaper, though MUCH harder to find in eastern TN! :(

I usually end up buying the bags of shredded parmesan (I know, I know, but it beats the hell out of the crap in the green can) for my cooking.

My mother is coming down for Easter, and is supposedly going to bring me some Locatelli--here's hoping! ;f

8. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

BEHOLD THE POWER OF CHEEEEEEESE!!

Oh there isn't much in this world that I love more than cheese. ;f

Almost any Pecorino (sheep) cheese is delish, but I especially love the sharper ones such as the P. Romano. I also love Taleggio and Ricotta Salata and can put down a half pound of it in one sitting. Yes, I know that is bad for me, but it is like HEAVEN.

Check this out!!

www.cheese.com

Shoeless

9. moeman

moeman

Thanks, never had seen cheese.com ;)

I'll start another post w/ a killer recipe using goranzola and goat cheese. You all, check it out and add some other recipes.

10. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

There isn't a stinky cheese that I won't eat. I love gorgonzola, ripe brie, carrolle, stilton, pecorino romano- got to be locatelli brand!
    When you think about it, Parmesiano Regiano isn't that expensive. Sure, it's $16 a lb, but it goes a long way.
    Wanna try something really good?
    Lightly saute garlic in E.V. olive oil, toss in hot cooked pasta. Add equal portions parmegiano regiano and greek Mizithra. It's heaven!

Mizithra is a dry hard greek sheep's milk cheese.

Pass the pepper mill please..

11. moeman

moeman

Never heard of Greek Mizithra;d

I don't know squat about Greek cheeses other than their feta. But I love Greek food. Oh Greek Easter is coming up, bring on the lamb.

I'll check out Mizithra-- any others?

12. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Mizithra's great and shouldn't be too hard to find. Another great greek is Kaseri.

13. maxxx93

maxxx93

Another vote for Asiago.
    I just discovered it about a year ago, love the stuff.

14. VinniefromNY

VinniefromNY MyOhMy

My grandmother is from Marittemo, a little island off the coast of Sicily, so I hear ya. Definitely agree with you regarding the cheese....I make do with the cheap stuff because Costco is not around the corner (45 minute drive) and because I am strapped for cash, what with planning my wedding....;) ;) ;)

And as for something you definitely do NOT, NEVER, IN NO WAY OR FORM skimp on: Olive Oil. Bertolli, Philippo Berio (sp?), and a couple other brands are excellent, right from the boot kinda stuff. If you can go to Italy and get the actual stuff, DO IT!!!

You can't go wrong when you cook with this stuff....I use it for everything: eggs, pork, chicken, vegetables, steak, you name it.

If it calls for vegetable oil, try substituting olive oil (in cooking, not baking). The flavor difference is amazing!!!!

15. nickg

nickg

for pasta you can't beat fresh grated Romano!!!

i love just about any good cheese but i will not spend $14-$16 dollars a pound for it.

16. 45BOY

45BOY

This is my first time in this forum here. I think I may be here alot though seeing how some of us are like minded as far as taste goes. Just to let all know, cheese prices have gone up 3 times in the past week and a half. Milk will should start rising also. I know this for the fact that my Father owns a restaurant. Buy dairy futures right now if you want to make some cheese. haha

17. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

We are working on an artisanal Banon goat cheese that won the ASC award in 2002 or 3. Quite sublime!!

18. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

I love cheese in a can. I LOVE cheese....
    Its not that bad.How do you spell good cheese?
    VELVETTA!:cool:

19. okie

okie GT Mayor

Parmigiano Reggiano rules the roost for sure :cool: :cool:

20. moeman

moeman

;z

Fireman your scaring me, are you sure some fumes from the last blaze have left you w/ a good buzz? ;P

BTW:
    Velvetta may have a great steak to go w/ it. Lucy and Sadie say its great and woof it down-- its called ALPO Steak Chunks. Velvetta will compliment the fine steak flavor. Oh, got to go Lucy and Sadie are fighting for a raw-hide chew toy again...