close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Parking sensors

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Generalcarry, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

My daughter just bought a car, and didn't get a backup parking sensor. I'd like to have one installed on her car for her birthday. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice? I'm thinking a couple hundred???
    Thanks...

2. handyman

handyman

Check and see if the dealership has an accessory kit for it. I know we have them for some Hondas.

3. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

I want to tell a little story about my wife and her first car...

She was getting ready to leave school one day when she noticed the rear view mirror fell off the windshield. When in a panic, she called her father at work. He did not have a cell phone and happened to be in a meeting with all the upper management of the company. The secretary comes into the meeting and whispers into his ear that he has a phone call from his daughter. Well, he tells the secretary to have her call back after the meeting. The secretary returns a minute later and says it's important.

All the upper management tell him not to worry, take the call and they don't mind waiting. He picks up the phone and asks her what the emergency is and she tells him that the mirror fell off and she now she can't drive and doesn't know what to do. He says, and I quote "THAT'S WHY GOD GAVE YOU A ****ING NECK! Turn your head and use your eyes."

He now returns the meeting and they ask if everything was okay. He says yes and asks if they can continue the meeting. They want to know what the problem was and insist on him telling them the situation. He has to explain the the management of the company that his 17 year old daughter did not know that human neck has a purpose and he had to explain to her how to use it. The bosses all thought it was hilarious.

Lesson: Tell your daughter to "Use her ****ing neck."

I end up with stitches in my sides everytime he tells that story. It's so much funnier to hear him tell it in person.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

the comment about the management above was my first thought also,

i drive a large truck with a shell on it that has zero visibility out the sides,

if you use your mirrors your fine ..

you dont need parking sensors or any of that hooey ..

the only other parking sensor i use is a trailer hitch that tells me when ive gone as far as i possibly can go ..

5. Ragnar

Ragnar

Teach her how to drive. No competent driver needs assistance to back up a car.

6. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

+1.

Now they have sensors that parallel park your (regular sized) car for you. :faint:

And you think people can't drive now? Wait a few years after more of this technology gets released.

7. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Well that sure didn't help much. I have 5 grandkids under 6, plus the rest of the small kids in her neighborhood and kinda thought seeing behind her (2010 Fusion) might be worth me throwing a few bucks her way. Sometimes you need all the help you can get.

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

Are looking for a proximity sensor, back-up camera or a back-up beeper?

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A what? Never seen one. How about curb feelers?:supergrin:

10. Kith

Kith

A friend of mine is an amazing driver. He's very good at it, more so then anyone else I know. He's worked jobs that require driving, lot support, tow truck driver and so forth.

He could parallel park like no one else. Always gets it on the first try.

(I have a driveway so my parallel parking skills are lacking. Seems like there are hidden fees to everything, convenience not excepted.)

He bought a new vehicle about a year ago. It came with one of those sensor thingies that kills the radio and gives a series of beeps, the frequency signaling distance.

Since he's been using that vehicle, his parallel parking skills have definitely taken a turn for the worse. He got so used to relying on the sensor that he's dependant on it now.

I figure if it can mess him up, I want nothing to do with it. I already have to try to make it happen, I wouldn't want something that would mess up my hard earned training.

My ex-girlfriend knocked the mirror off my windshield climbing across the seat one day. It's been sitting in my center console for something like 8 months now. I don't miss it that much. I usually use my side mirrors anyways.

I'm not necessarily saying don't get it, just consider the fact that you could lose your ability to parallel park well without it.

Since you said it is for your daughter, i'll venture a guess that she doesn't have a whole lot of time behind the wheel?

When someone is in their first few years of driving, it's probably best to make them learn how to do everything manually, without the aid of technology. This is one of those things that can deprive her of the ability to do something with her car that she should be able to do naturally. It would be a shame if she ended up not being able to parallel park unless there was a sensor in the vehicle.

That all being said, my friend who has it says that even with his loss of skill/ability, he still loves it. He days he doesn't have to think about it, the car does the thinking for him.

It can be a wonderfully fun tool/toy to use and help you accomplish a task easier.

I'm not pushing you in any particular direction, just trying to bring up a point to consider about the technology.

By the way, the thought you had about getting your daughter something for her birthday to make her life easier was a really nice one. Go you.

11. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I didn't know about parking sensors. Could be useful I suppose.

My new Highlander Limited came with a backup camera. And since it has a NAV the pic shows on the big NAV screen and not the little 3"x3" dash screen it would normally use.

I've been a great parallel parker since I got my driver's license when I turned 16. Or really 15.5 when I got my learner's. Jeez, that was 1966.

Anyway, living in an old urban neighborhood, on a one-way street, with NO off street parking, the camera beats the heck out of backing up until you touch bumpers or worse. Before you jump on me, know that the '06 Avalon I drove for 3 years was nearly 9 inches longer and didn't have a camera and I couldn't see any of the trunk when looking out the back window. I can park anything, but the camera is nice when you get within a foot or less.

Park anything = learned to drive on a tractor and my father taught tractor trailer driving sometimes after a huge trucking company hired him away from the state police. Iow, I've had some professional instruction. Heck, I can back a dump truck with a chipper down a narrow alley with the side mirrors folded in. A couple of years of tree service work provides lots of useful knowledge - like the good cheap beers to buy on the way to the first job. THOSE PEOPLE WERE CRAZY. Good guys, but crazy.

But the camera is really to keep from backing over kids in the driveway or hooking up a trailer in one easy step.

John

12. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

My Bimmer has the backup radar and I have found it's handy, but not necessary. By that I mean that because of the car's design, it is difficult to gauge where the rear end is in relation to an object. I don't park near anyone - ever - if I can help it, but when I do, I don't mind the beeps to let me know I am close. It is also very sensitive and picks up objects you may not have noticed like a short pole.

[​IMG]

13. farley45

farley45

I know what you mean about having a ton of kids around and trying to back a vehicle out of a drive way.

My parent's house is on a circle, and there are a ton of kids around. My situation is a little worse because the parent's don't really watch the kids because they think since they live on a circle everything is perfecctly safe. I drive a pickup so even when looking behind me and in my mirrors there are spots that I cannot see, especially when a kid is riding their big wheel around in the street or something.

I have made it a habit to walk around my truck and look under and around it before I back out. This is the best safety habit to get into IMO when there are a bunch of small kids around.

My father's SUV has those backup sensors on them. To be honest I am not sure how useful they would be for backing up and trying to avoid kids, I think they work more for walls and other stationary vehicles; but moving kids may be a different story.

I would contact the factory dealership and ask the service department about them if you want to get them.

14. theanimal

theanimal

Some of the comments you people make are just plain rediculous. "Use your neck", "Learn to drive", " No competent driver needs assistance backing up" .
    The fact of the matter is that even if the backup sensor goes off 1 time and saves a little kids life its worth it. I know that none of the professionals in here will ever have this kind of thing happen to them because they obviously have 100% visibility all the way around their vehicle but normal people cant see through a tailgate or bumper. :upeyes:

I have a backup camera and sensors on my truck and let me tell you I have been glad I had them more than once. Also for hooking up trailers the camera is awesome. Anyway Check with your dealer and see if there is a factory kit you can get. Other than that there are many places on the web that sell aftermarket kits.

15. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  16. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

What happens if the sensor malfunctions and now someone is reliant upon the sensor to let them know if there is someone/something is there?

I wasn't saying they are a bad idea but like my fiance, you should not rely on them because when/if they fail you are screwed because you don't know how to do it any other way. Plus I thought the story was funny.

17. theanimal

theanimal

No one said anything about relying on them. They are simply an aid or a bit of added security on top of your daily driving skills. My dog is actually alive today because of the sensors on my truck. I didnt know she was out and when she passed behind my truck it beeped. I stopped and 2 seconds later she appeared in my mirror.

18. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

They are available aftermarket at reasonable prices. I add them to vehicles occasionally at the request of my customers. I have a local guy who comes by and installs a nice system for about $300... slightly more if you need to paint the sensors to match.

I believe a basic system can be had for much less that incorporates the sensors into a license plate frame, also you can get a back up camera for a reasonable amount as well. Look at your local car audio stores or check crutchfield/JC whitney type websites for more information.

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

First off, check with the dealer............its probably an accessory.

2nd, yes id agree with the underline sentence above BUT

People with those backup sensors are more likely to depend on them instead of just driving cautiously like you dont have them.

Those sensors DONT always work and they CAN fail resulting in accidents/death.

Its there to help you drive not replace common sense.

Kind of like people with radar dectectors, they are more likely to depend on the detector and speed.
    Id venture to say 50% get caught if not more.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  20. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

I offered to sell a NIB pro kit to the OP for $75 via PM, and he never responded.

Your welcome.