Parking lot idiot

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Drain You, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

So

Do the lines in a parking lot hold legal weight? What about after hours when most of the businesses there are closed?

What about when an idiot drives at an angle all the way across the parking lot, speeding up at the last second to not AVOID me hitting them, but to ensure that they just cut me off as I'm entering the lot in a normal manner, so that I have to stop, allowing them to go by?

What about then?

2. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

In Texas they dont. (nor do things like stop signs have any legal weight on private property)

Of course, things like fire lanes and handicap are enforcable and you can be charged with DWI or Wreckless Driving on some kinds of private property in Texas.

There are a few other exceptions, for example, if the traffic control device (like a "no left turn" sign or a stop sign) is on the private property....but is the junction for public roads, it is enforceable. (IE the action after the sign will be you entering a public roadway)

The real power of private property comes in the form of a tresspass warning. In most cases, that is all that can be done. If they come back, then you can charge them with tresspassing.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  4. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Well I'm sure there is no official law saying you can't drive over them, but if I had hit them I'm sure they would be at fault. The best part being the place next to where I was going always has a police officer standing out front after 9pm every night.

He saw it and would have been a great witness if need be. I just can't be without a vehicle even for a day or two so I did everything I could to avoid a collision.

5. janice6

janice6

What Rabbi said for MN also.

Many accidents in my company parking lots with no responsibility. No law enforcement if private property. Insurance Companies go with whatever costs them the least for settlements.

You don't even need a drivers license on private property.

You are screwed unless the lot owner has requested routine law enforcement on their property.

6. Rabbi

I dont know where you live (my following statement is very location specific) but in many States (and even in some cases, only certain agency) the Police dont determine fault AND....the big one, on a private lot, in most places, it is a civil matter anyways.

You assume a much higher risk when driving on a private roadway in terms of what the Police can and cant do. (there is less the Police can do)

7. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Legal weight about what? Was there an accident that we don't know about?

If not and you're still that upset, get the plate number & call it in & let them determine what should be done about it.

If nothing happened in the end and nobody's property or themselves were hurt, I don't see what you would need to do in terms of legal action.. lol

Hell, just 5 days ago some lady in a truck backed in to my car at the post office.

She was clearly at fault and her truck did dent my car, but it wasn't anything to worry or complain about. Accidents happen, and if nothing major then just carry on with your day.

She said "I didn't hit you!" and I told her "yeah, you did.. but it's really nothing to get upset about. no real damage, just be careful from here out"

We went our separate ways & that was it..

Then again I guess it depends on what kind of car you have.. lol you might have some really fancy car or something, I dunno :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. TK-421

TK-421

No, they don't hold any legal weight. Parking lots are generally private property. Had a girl hit my car while my brother was driving it, he was stopped, she tried to go around him and came too close and clipped him, took a chunk out of my bumper. The cops got called and the cops said there really wasn't anything they could do since it was on private property, and they wouldn't take a report either for the same reason. At least that's what my brother said.

So I figure they won't enforce people parking crappily either.

9. CAcop

CAcop

In California aside from DUI, hit and run, etc. The vehicle code does not apply. Now your insurance company is free to assign blame.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

The people who piss me off the most in parking lots are those who stop. Do do something for a significant period of time in the driving lanes, when there are plenty of spaces to pll into, right next to them.

11. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

12. TK-421

TK-421

There are people who are worse than that. What about the people who will follow the people with a loaded cart, and wait in the exact middle of the lane, so nobody can get by, while the people load up their car, and then finally they get to pull into the spot when the other car leaves. And they won't move for anybody. They could have five cars lined up behind them trying to get down the aisle, and they refuse to move.

I've seen people sitting there in the middle of the aisle with their turn signal on, for ten minutes, waiting for someone to finish loading their car, while three other spots opened up, and still they waited for that exact spot.

That is most definitely my major parking lot pet peeve.

I even had someone try doing that to me once. I was putting stuff in my trunk and this car pulls up and puts his turn signal on and sits there, waiting for me. So I put my stuff away and got in my car, backed it all the way up, but did it in a way that they couldn't get into the spot, and then pulled right back into the spot and went back into the store. Oh I was laughing at that one, he was all excited he was going to get this spot close to the store, and then I just parked again and went back into the store.

It just pisses me off when morons sit there and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, while blocking the whole damn aisle, when there are tons of other empty spaces, and they just have to block traffic.

13. Rutha73

Rutha73

How about the people that pull up into the fire lane and put their hazard lights on like that makes them exempt from the No Parking signs? Then they jump out and go shopping.

14. Rabbi

If you simply pull into the spots that are open at the end of the all the full spots (wherever that starts on that day at that time) You never really have to worry about that...or door dings, or finding a spot....

Just park. 90% of the time, I am already inside while the people looking for a closer spot are still looking.

15. TK-421

TK-421

I wish it was legal to take a 2x4 to their blinking lights.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWmeZMEf9w"]sir, Get your tail lights fixed - YouTube[/ame]

16. Slug71

Slug71

This thread is worthless without pics.

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Traffic law violations are different from "Liability" in an accident.

Just because you didn't violate a state/local "traffic law" doesn't mean you can't be found "liable" for an accident (Auto Insurance claim/award) that occurs in a parking lot.

Drive defensively and don't let the idiots get to you.

18. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

19. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

White lines don't mean diddly but I hate it when the idiots drive across the lot and you have to slam brakes to keep from hitting them. If it was not too much paper work I think shooting them should be an option. :rofl:

20. silentpoet

silentpoet

Try parking a short bus in a walmart parking lot. It is truly an adventure. If I can't get the right handicapped spot(our bus at work has a lift for a reason) I am screwed.