close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Parkerized my Glock 30 today

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Quail Fat, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

[​IMG]
    Here it is all shiny and whatnot..

[​IMG]
    I bead blasted it, parkerized it using distilled water, steel wool (to add iron to the solution) and zinc phosphate. The finish is a very dark grey. If I had to do it all over, I would have ordered manganese phosphate to get it black. No biggie.

[​IMG]

I also installed some meprosites. These are yellow in back with a green front sight. I decided to be greedy and used green loctite thread locker. The only thing that can break the thread is a blowtorch. I'd hate to lose a front site.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If I udnerstand you correctly, you removed the highly protective black finish and applied a less protective gray finish, but you wish it was black? Not sure I get it.

3. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

I removed the highly reflective black finish and applied a less reflective gray finish, that is almost black. Now do you get it?

4. DMNSPD

DMNSPD Modified Glocks

If you are talking about removing the tennifer finish, its a metal treatment that has nothing to do with the final color of the Glock. The author simply did not like how reflective the original color was and wanted a more matt finish to it.

5. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

The Glock is like an M&M. The black is the colored layer, the tennifer is the white hard shell, the steel is the chocolate center. I removed the black and replaced it with a flat dark gray finish.

6. DMNSPD

DMNSPD Modified Glocks

Right, but the tennifer is still bonded with the steel. Its not simply a coat sprayed on.

7. grecco

grecco

GREAT JOB!!!
    what do you charge?

8. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

I don't know how you could interpret anything I said to indicate tennifer was sprayed on. As you and I are aware, the black is not tennifer, and the tennifer is a surface hardening of the steel using a chemical process.:)

[​IMG]

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I get it if you like the color - or maybe if you use the gun while camoflaged from head to toe and have some need to worry about the slight reflection from the already-subdued black finish - but otherwise, and since you say you like black better, I don't see the purpose.

10. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

I like the old original flat black Glock finish. The newer Glocks finish, although very scratch resistant, is glossy and I do not care for it. Remember the old threads about people getting a scratch on their Glock and whining about it? I guess Glock changed it to be less prone to scratching, as a trade off of being less prone to reflect light.

11. 1337-G

1337-G Armed

I think it looks pretty cool. Even better since you did it yourself. Has sort a stealth air force quality.

12. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

Exactly.:)

13. captyg76

captyg76 Member

QuailFat,

Nice work. Would you mind telling me if this is something an average Joe can do? Any special tools needed? Where did you buy your parkerizing material? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'll give you that - I also liked the old finish better. I'm not concerned about a gun reflecting light, but I guess the new finish just sort of look cheaper.

15. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

Parkerizing is easy to mess up. I screwed up a lot of guns before I figured it out. I bought my Zinc Phospate from Brownells, I use my dead cat's old stainless steel drinking bowl as a parkerizing tank. A local gunsmith charges me $10 to bead blast the slide. Sure you can do it, the Zinc Phosphate has directions attached to it. It's probably easier to have http://www.craftguard.com do it for you.

16. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

QF,

Nice Work!

If you like it, that's all that matters.

How does your Glock's finish compare to the old Glock dull phoshate finish?

BTW, I like both old and new finish Glocks. I like them all. The new Glocks are a bit less secure in my grip when racking the slide with sweaty hands. This is due to a change in the machining of the slide serrations though, not just the finish.

BF

17. Disciple

Disciple

Good work Quail Fat. Black would be even better, but that looks more like a Glock should look. (Read: fan of old finish here.) How well will the finish you applied hold up?

How have they changed? I've handled the new ones, and they are slicker, but I didn't notice anything else about the slide.

18. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

On my Glocks made 1994 - 1998, the slide serrations are very crisp, with fairly sharp edges milled into the slide.

On my newer Glocks made 2003-2005, the serrations is the slide have edges that are less crisp. I'm not sure if the corners have been smoothed/rounded, or if they changed the angles of the cuts. Compare a couple of Glocks side by side and you'll see/feel what I'm talking about. It's not just the finish that changed.

I cannot tell you exactly when this changed, but I'd guess in the early 2000's.

It is harder to get a secure grip on the new ones. This is not a huge thing for me, but it makes it more difficult for someone who does not have a lot of grip/hand/arm strength to rack the slide.

When I'm old and arthritic I'll have to use my 2nd generation Glocks. :supergrin:

19. Disciple

Disciple

Thanks for the notice. I'll hang on to mine.

20. henchmen77

henchmen77

Or you could just Dura coat it can get the whole kit for $50 and do it yourseld and will hold up as good as the glock finish.