close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Parents these days...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jdavionic, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I was recently in a hotel when I hear yelling and someone trying to get into my room. I look through the peep hole and nodda, as it gets quiet again. Then it happens again. This time I can tell it's just kids. As someone is attempting to open my door, I open the door and a small kid damn near falls into my room. All the way at the other end of the hall, there a Dad just standing and watching.

I wasn't sure if it was another guest that was harrassed or the parent until the kids go screaming down the hall to him. Then they head back playing on different room doors. I said "are you going to tend to children or just watch?" I get a shoulder shrug respond and then he sends his wife down the hall. She glares at me without saying a word, grabs her kids while giving me a pissed off look, and storms back.

WTH is wrong with people these days?! Do they really think it's acceptable to let their children roam the halls screaming like brats and banging on door handles?

Amazing. I must be getting old. I just know that if it was me as a kid, it would have been a race between my Mom and Dad to see who could grab me by the ear first. And my kids, the thought would have never crossed their minds.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I'm a road warrior.

I dread "vacation season".

3. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

Parents today are lazy and scared. It takes guts and persistence to make a good child. They would rather be friends then parents, it doesn't work.

People in general have no consideration for others. Your kid,pet and anything you have is your responsibility. Period.

4. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Glad it's not just me. I swear, I constantly see example after example of parents just producing future problems.

5. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Reminds me of a story when I was a kid. My brother's baseball glove gets stolen by the kid down the street. We find it laying in the street the next day. We know the kid took it (can't remember exactly how; maybe a confession).

My aunt goes over to confront the father. The father is indignant. He says to my aunt, "Well, you got it back, didn't ya?"

This is the same kid who pulled a rifle on us and pulled the trigger (unloaded). He was also caught at the side of his mom's bed trying to set the sheets on fire. Ah, youth and parents. Go figure.

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Likely the same parents crying when their kid is carted off to jail while asserting 'he is a good boy'.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

Yeah, this thread will never end........the stories soon to be told will be a trove of bad behavior from children, and it IS the parents who are to blame. Even with my own family, there are those whose motto is " love me, love my kids "...uh...no.

I know the owners of a nice , clean diner in my town, and they have high seated chairs along the counter, the seats are at least 4 feet off the floor, rather tall chairs...

A father comes in one day when I was there recently, had a child of , maybe, 9 years of age along....and this so-called father sat reading his paper while this child ( who is plenty old enough to know better ) starts climbing all over this man...on his head, shoulders, hanging from an arm, ..all the while being totally ignored by dad, this went on for 45 minutes, to the point of being asked to leave, by said owners...

One example of many, many, many...

I am out uh-huh...:cool:

8. huaco

huaco

For the last five years I have worked out of hotels and motels and eaten at restaurants daily for weeks and months at a time. Loud unruly children in public places are more common than well behaved ones these days to the point where the well behaved ones or parents who do something about it get my attention and sometimes compliments. On several occasions I know the parents locked themselves in their room and left the kids out in the hall to work off some energy to the displeasure of the other guests.

It will all come around when those children grow up and find themselves unable to function out in the real world. Those that don't end up in prison will move back in with their parents and justice will have been served.

9. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

I have absolutely no problem snapping at misbehaving strange children as if they were my own if I see that their parents are uninvolved, uninterested, or just worthless.

Amazing how kids respond to The Look, gritted teeth, and a low tone of voice when it isn't their pushover, lazy parents.

Side note - without fail, when I am in public with more than two of my kids, someone will go out of their way to comment on their good behavior. Am I such an atavistic throwback as to EXPECT my kids to be well-behaved in a public place?

Now, at home is an entirely different matter.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  10. sombunya

sombunya I like to watch and sometimes touch

Same parents that threaten (falsely) to get out the belt if they don't finish their dinner or something similar. And then they slowly count to 5.

When I was a kid way back when, adults were addressed as "Mr. or Mrs." Now there are 5 year olds that say "Hi Joe" to me (I'm 54).

The times they are a changin.

11. Powers77

Powers77

12. Glock&KimberLady

If the parents are stupid enough to get up in my face about yelling at their Precious, I point out the situation that got them hollered at in the first place and ask if I should have just let it happen?

Or if they would've preferred Precious getting a busted head or run into the street or get socked by my kid whom Precious was throwing handfuls of sand toward. I haven't had too many snappy respnses because people are usually confused by swift, decisive, aggressive action.

:tempted:

13. dbcooper

dbcooper

We get visits at our table often when we eat out with the pack in tow, usually from older couples who comment on how well they are behaved. I told the Mrs. that it is kind of sad that out of control seems to be the norm, to the point where well behaved is noticed and commented upon. Hell one of ours is autistic and even he manages to keep it under control

14. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Put me on the side that snatches a kid up and uses corporal punishment as a remedy for bad behavior. My kids (all four of them) understand there are dire consequences for acting out in public.

15. Glock&KimberLady

Thank you. My kids know they have the option to be a-holes...as long as they are a-holes at home (and oh my God, are they ever). But in public? Even the three year old makes censorious remarks about kids kicking up in a store or restaurant...("That boy nees a spenkin!!!" with an accompanying disapproving glare... :rofl: )

16. dbcooper

dbcooper

When my oldest was around 4 he was acting up in walmart and I actually had a lady give me crap about getting on to MY OWN KID. I told her that if he continued with his behavior I would in fact smack his little ass and take him to the car. She was rather offended.

17. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

They have a bit more latitude at home, since it is, well...home. In public, none whatsoever. I have an expected standard of conduct that is to be adhered to. I practice it, as well as demand it from my kids. I can't abide rude behavior from anyone, and I'll be damned if my kids will be the ones causing problems.

Like others have mentioned, our childrens' behavior is often commented upon. That makes me proud of them, and I tell them as much. Its just as important to reward good behavior, as to punish bad. Hell, "I" even got a compliment for removing my misbehaving son and taking him to the truck for a spanking. A woman was watching, and rather than chide me and call child protective services, she told me that not enough people did it. Thought that was rather unique in this day and age.

18. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

I had a father do the "1-2-3 countdown" at least 8-10 time's in our shop. He never did a dam thing, he would even go as high as an 8 count until the kid would stop, but as soon as he stoped counting the kid would start up again. That guy must have added his count up to 60 before they left the shop. :upeyes:
    Can you imagine someone saying "stop, don't do that, 1-2-3" for a minute straight? It is freaking anoying!

And I do aplaude the parents who at least remove their unruly kids from the shop. They're often the ones who apologize, and I just tell them it's no problem for me, and you've got to do what you gotta do. And either they come back in with teary eyed kids who are pefect little statues, or they come back later without them.

19. Sharkey

Sharkey

You have no idea. I use to work a "walk in" court and some people that came in showed a complete lack of respect for anything. I now work "attendance court" and it is like observing petri dishes of bad parenting experiments.

As my pastor says, "you're job as parents are to teach and train them to leave when they are 18". Few people do that now. We knew better, run around and back talk and we got spanked. That scarred me into the productive human being I am today.

20. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

We had an incident at my daughter's HS graduation where a relative of the kid was quite upset at me. The kid was up & down, walking in front of people snapping pics of their kids getting their diploma. My kid's turn up there & he starts to walk right in front of my camera. I stuck my arm out, pushed back toward him (probably 12-13 yr old), told him "you need to wait until I'm done", took my pics, and then told him "you need to be careful to avoid walking in front people who are taking pics."

A man sitting with him starts "you don't touch someone else's kid". I responded by saying "if you taught your kid some manners (didn't know he was an Uncle), then I wouldn't have to touch your kid." He says "that's not my kid" and I told him "well, then mind your own business."

We exchanged my words to the point where he said he was going to teach me manners when this was over after I had told him to "shut up, turn around, and enjoy his kid's graduation." At a school event (aside - I was not armed) with families all around and this guy is going to threaten me?? My wife laughed at him, shook her head...she knows me too well. I said "why wait". Suddenly he got quiet and turned around. I offered again...nodda. When the event ended, he turned away and did everything he could to avoid eye contact.

Throughout this ordeal...notice one thing - he never said anything to his nephew, who continued to do the same thing on the other side. Also notice, the Dad who was sitting near the Uncle & heard the whole thing, never said a word to me or the kid. The Mom sitting there as well...never said a word to the kid. So the little brat clearly does whatever he wants and the family does nothing to hold him accountable for his actions.