Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Parents are idiots. No one wants their kid to ride the lightning, but maybe the kid won't be "acting out" anymore? I think that is a very viable choice in the circumstances described, not ideal by any stretch, but viable, and reasonable.

·
Florist
20,219 Posts
The incident happened Friday night after a baby-sitter called to report that the girl had stabbed herself in the leg and was making comments about suicide.

The girl — whose identity hasn't been released because she is a juvenile — was holding a 4½-inch knife and refused to put it down when the three officers arrived.

The child had the tip of the knife to her chest and then moved toward a hallway that could have taken her out of the officers' sight. When one of the officers approached her, the girl pointed the knife at the officer and then back at herself. That's when the officer used the Taser.
An 8 y.o. already threatening suicide with a knife? Boy, when she reaches teenage years she's going to be a handful!

One thing I hate is parents not taking care of their children's problems. If the problem is their children have mental/psychological issues, get professional help and keep on top of it. And if the problem is parents refuse to discipline their children, the children are going to get out of control.

And I've seen 8, 9, 10 years olds acting out!

In this case, they left their problems with the babysitter (You think that babysitter is going to sit for them again? :upeyes:).

If a parent is going to use LE as the final disciplinarian, be prepared to be disciplined.

·
NRA Life Member
67,120 Posts
Looks like the officer made a good choice. Before the Taser, every choice they could have made would have been more likely to hurt her worse - including choosing to do nothing.

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,801 Posts
What 8 year old "plays around" with a paring knife?

What 8 year is so defiant that they will not listen to the instructions of 3 policemen?

There's trouble 'round the bend with that one.

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
You think I'd learn by now not to bother reading the comments, but no... :brickwall:

I love how people come up with all sorts of fanciful things the officers "should have done," as though the garbage they spew is even remotely based in reality.

"Why didn't they shoot her with rubber bullets?" Yeah, cuz I've got a few mags worth of those on my belt at all times. "They could have used pepper spray!" I don't even know why I carry this stuff, it's next to useless, and now you've got a blind 8 year old armed with a knife flailing about, and 3 blind officers. Awesome situation for all involved. "If they can't wrestle a knife away from an 8 year old, they don't need to be a cop." And yet, none of these chicken **** trolls has the intestinal fortitude to step in front of us and show us how they'd like to see our job done. Could it be because they would show their true colors, and are too afraid to step into the breach? :upeyes:

I will say the majority of the comments were positive, but it only takes a few to screw everything up. Good job on the officers for handling a ****ty situation as best as they would allow. Excellent job by the Chief for sticking by his officers! Hope the parents get the ***es handed to them if they decide to find an ambulance chaser to take the case, and end up deeper in the hole than they started. Absolute jags...

·
Registered
32,945 Posts
What 8 year old "plays around" with a paring knife?

What 8 year is so defiant that they will not listen to the instructions of 3 policemen?

There's trouble 'round the bend with that one.
Ive taken 3 kids to the rubber room in my time. One multiple times. One destroyed her foster parents' house. They end up getting g sent to a children's hospital in Oakland.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If the 8-year old threatened suicide, more likely than not, mental illness or abuse will need to be dealt with in that family. Given the reaction of the parents, trying to capitalize on the situation, I am leaning towards abuse.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Kid's alive, everyone went home that day. Sounds like a good outcome.

·
you savvy?
23,473 Posts
some depts. have a taser policy that says no use of taser for somebody of a child's stature and age... meaning a 12 year old who is 5'05" 120 pounds is ok to use on, but...... in this case the office did the right thing even it was against a policy that does not take into account most real world situations.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Parents are looking to win a law-suit lottery, and that's all.

I think the mother's dismissal of "she was just messing around with a knife" as if it's not a big deal, or even a common occurrence, maybe needs to trigger a DFACS (or equivalent) investigation.

·
Wayward Member
5,249 Posts
If any of my kids were ever that crazy, you have my permission to and gratitude for tasering them to keep them from hurting themselves or anyone else.

Any other thought process is stupid.

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
It's not about the "child", it's about the money and opportunity.

People are idiots.

This was the lesser of the evils. Good work officer.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
"The girl's mother, Dawn Stenstrom, said her daughter, who was being supervised by a babysitter that night, was merely playing around with a small paring knife."

I guess game night at this house is Russian roulette.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I didn't read the article because......well I'm having a great Sunday ! My wife and I never claim to not making mistakes raising our daughter, because every parent has. But to leave her with a sitter that would allow her to "play" with a knife???? I can't even in my wildest dreams put myself in the position of most LEO's daily, and expect to make the correct decision every time.

Doesn't most states have a penalty for filing frivolous law suits?

·
Registered
27,989 Posts
It's not about the "child", it's about the money and opportunity.

People are idiots.

This was the lesser of the evils. Good work officer.
:agree:

·
Hook 'Em Up
4,212 Posts
If that were my kid, I would demand the officers be awarded for saving my kid's life, and then buy them a steak dinner.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 20 of 47 Posts