close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paranormal Experiences

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JW1178, Oct 8, 2012.

1. blk69stang

blk69stang

I just remembered another one from back home in Maine.

In the area I grew up (very rural northern Maine) there are abandoned cemeteries scattered all over the countryside. I guess they are the only remnants of "ghost towns" that went belly-up back in the day. Some are unmaintained, but some are still occasionally mowed by surviving family members.

One such "abandoned" cemetery (the kind that got mowed about once a year just to keep the forest from consuming it) was located abutting a dirt two-track that goes from Houlton to Linneus. The most recent date on any headstone I could read was about 1910 or so. Most graves dated from the 1860's and earlier. The two-track was one of those roads my brother and I used to take the 4x4 Ford Ranger down to have a good time "boonie-bouncing". On two occasions, my brother and I would have a mechanical breakdown right next to the cemetery. This Ranger was known to eat ignition modules, so we carried a spare (along with the special thin-wall socket needed to change it) in the glove box. Once, we stopped to walk the cemetery to look at the headstones. When we got back in the truck, it wouldn't start. Fried ignition module. We were glad to have a spare. The second breakdown, we were just driving past and had no intention of stopping... until the rear u-joint let go, and the truck dropped the driveshaft right there in the road... EXACTLY in front of the cemetary... in the middle of the night. Let's just say we both looked at each other, then wasted no time in grabbing the tools, unbolting the remains of the driveshaft, tossing it in the bed of the pickup, and driving out of there in front wheel drive (we put it in 4x4 and hit the gas, rear driveshaft or no rear driveshaft).

Not quite as powerful as my later experience described in my previous post, but a freaky coincidence nonetheless.

2. CBennett

CBennett

^^ exactly, my kid is into the ghost thing so i dont discourage him. We go on those ghost walks/hunts at old battlefields and cemetaries. Ive been in groups where people swear they saw,felt,experienced something but i was within 10 feet and neither me(a non beleiver)nor my son who beleives in ghosts experienced anything..so i think these people get so worked up that any leaf falling from a tree, and slight breeze, and noise HAS to be a ghost.

3. Hamilton Burger

Hamilton Burger Incompetent

blk69stang's reminds me of my own great-grandmother's story...

It was (iirc) 1944 and her son (my mom's uncle Bud, a notorious bar fighter and all around tough-guy) was in the Navy. One night she awoke in the wee hours to find her son, who was supposedly at sea, crying at her bedside. Alarmed at this, she got up and comforted him as best she could, but couldn't get a word out of him other than "mama". Eventually she drifted off to sleep again.

No news for months, and though she feared the worst she didn't let on to the rest of her family. When he finally came home on leave he said that around the time in question he had just killed his first enemy combatant, and that before expiring the man had been yelling something that sounded like "Mama!"

Uncle Bud
    [​IMG]

Flash forward to '62. Same uncle is in the hospital losing his battle with Lou Gehrig's. My great-grandma wakes up in the middle of the night to find him once again at her bedside, this time smiling down at her. She sat up and he told her everything was just fine, go back to sleep - which she somehow did. It was after 8am when the call came from the hospital that he had passed in the night. :dunno:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. Hamilton Burger

Tell us, man! :impatient:

5. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

That drawing reminds me of Slenderman, tons of stories about that guy but none by me

6. xMyazXtr3me

xMyazXtr3me

You ever play the slenderman game? It's creepy lol. They now have an app on the apple app store.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. Averageman

Averageman

My Dad and I had a really rocky sometimes destructive, sometimes violent relationship right up until I joined the Army. I was pretty upset when he left my Mother for another Woman,..well a very young woman actually.
    Dad came and saw me during Family Day at AIT and we kind of made up. Years go by with little contact and I get a letter from him. He seemed pretty upset in the letter and it seemed that my lack of contact with him really upset him.
    Unbeknowst to me he had gotten sick and pretty much understood this was the end for him.
    The letter was pretty sad and didn't really come off right (I'm sure it was pretty hard to write) and I had a lot going on bad in my own life at the time, so sadly I blew it off, tore up the letter and forgot about it.
    Dad died, no Red Cross message, no call, no contact from anyone...nothing.
    But,
    I had a crazy dream one night that someone came and sat on the end of my Bunk and told me not to worry, everything will be fine and it is all okay now.
    A couple of days go by and I get the letter from my Mom telling me my Dad had died.
    I call my Mother and She explained it must have been my Dad and that he came to me to say goodbye.
    I know now life is pretty complicated and being Dad isnt easy at all, when I see him again I will appologise and I know I will see him again.

8. Hamilton Burger

BTTT....

....and my allergies are killing me!

eta:

My dad and I hadn't seen each other or even spoken much for at least 8 or 9 years when I found out through an aunt that he was really sick. I was able to see him before he passed, but not long enough to say all that needed saying.

Later, he appeared in a series of dreams, 3 in a month tapering off to once in a blue moon, that left me with an understanding that nothing really needed said... a dad already knows.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  9. GWG19

GWG19

While I was touring Shiloh, I had my two Chow Chows ith me. We crossed the creek and walked up to cannons where the Confederates had charged head long in to slaughter. Both dogs got real antsy, my red chow walked towards the back of the cannons growling, the other one ducked behind me. My red Chow then starts wagging her tail, sniffing and stretching towards open air like she greeting somebody. Weird! The blond chow then lightened up and advanced to see what was going on. I felt nothing, saw nothing but the red chow sensed something. Very creepy. I promptly left the area and continued the tour.

10. crazycooter91

crazycooter91 Roll Tide

I took the ghost tour in Key West, earlier this year. One part of the tour, they took us to the East Martello fort/museum. They have a doll in the museum that supposedly has some kind of curse (Robert the doll). When we went to this part of the museum, this doll's toy was on his left side but when I glanced back before we left, it was on his right side. Maybe I was seeing things due to being "worked up", but my step dad who was with me claimed to see the same thing. I also got an orb in one of my pictures there but lost it when my previous computer crashed.

I am still kind of skeptical of ghosts/paranormal but I keep an open mind to the fact that it may be real.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  11. crimdelacrim

crimdelacrim

Thought you and gt might like this

Was watching a loch ness special on the internet somewhere. Not saying I really believe in loch ness or anything...but..

The special interviewed a scientist that has worked loch ness for the majority of his professional carrer. He was not a crazy and seemed to be very normal. He shot down every piece of evidence and reason that something big lived in the loch. He verbally admitted that he firmly believed that nothing was in the lake. This was interesting...since his camera with a zoom lens never left his side. The interviewers asked why he had a camera. He has carried the camera every day for years "just in case." hahaha. I need to find that special again.

12. racer11

racer11

I never believed in ghost story's until I had my own experience.

It was at my Grandmothers farm house near Fairplay, Missouri (for the Missouri GTers)

Summer before my experience (1958 or 59), my mother was visiting and sleeping upstairs,,something woke her up and she looked out in the room and could see the figure of a man of short stature in coveralls. It freaked her out and she grabbed her bedding and ran down stairs and spent the rest of the night on the couch. She told her story to my Grandma in the morning and Grandma replied to her that she was goofy.

Year later during the summer I was in the same room sleeping and something woke me up suddenly !! I can not explain the sense of presence around me,,, it was the most overwhelming feeling I have ever had. But there was no doubt to me that something was looking at me,,,I layed in bed just frozen afraid to move. I did not know what to do really,,,during that time I could hear some litle faint noises like something being moved around,,,things that go bump in the night kind of noise. I don't know how long I just layed there but I finally decided to just make a sudden run for the stairs. I got up the courage and bolted out of bed and ran for my life and made it down stairs. I woke my mom up and told her that something was up there.

30 years later I was at a family renuion and I brought up the farm house and the ghost I experienced. By that time my mother was passed and grandmother was passed as well. My cousins all saw the ghost and they told me that my Grandmother saw it twice,,their sightings were after my experience. I was the only one that did not see the ghost but felt its presence. It was a feeling I can never explain in common description and I feeling I will never forget.

I want to go back to that house and talk to the owners and see if they have ever seen what we saw.

13. MB-G26

MB-G26 Queen of Fail Lifetime Member

IIRC from one or more previous years, you were willing to PM those who requested it the information you would otherwise have posted?

If IIC, I would appreciate you sharing your experience with me back-channel.
    Thanks.

14. crimdelacrim

crimdelacrim

Ok this is actually very similar to what happened to me. Again, I don't know if I believe in ghosts or anything but this happened to me just a few years back and is completely true. You may just say it is coincidence.

I had a dream that I was going to the bathroom down the hall in my great grandmother's nursing home (she was around 102 years old I believe). I walked out of the bathroom down the hall and into her room. My family was in her room looking sad and said she is "gone." I woke up the next day, bewildered by the dream's randomness and specificity. It is hard to explain. I carried on and went over to a friend's house.

I got a call from my mom. Gran was unconscious and was not responding. We got in the car and drove to my mom's home town. She was laying in bed and taking weird, labored breaths and appeared as if she was sleeping...except she couldn't be woken. The nurses said they see this sometimes...Nobody knew what to do. We all sat around her and prayed and cried. As we stood up and discussed what we should do next if there was anything we COULD do, I decided to excuse myself to the bathroom because we had just gotten out of a car after a somewhat long trip. She had been breathing like this for a good while and I thought surely she would not go while I stepped out for a minute. I went down the hall and didn't even think about the dream the night before.

I got back to the room and everyone was standing in the exact same place they were in my dream...no longer discussing what they were when I had left the room.

She had died moments before.

15. r3dot

r3dot

great stories. sub'd

16. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

No you don't. Not really. You won't support anyone's right to believe. Your lack of self awareness is sad. At best, you tolerate, because you have to, in a framework of non violent civilisation at least.

No matter what anybody believes, being it the Good Lord of the Bible, Buddha ...or the Spaghettimonster in Secularia, will translate into behaviour and actions accordingly. So unless somebody else believes exactly the same as you do, there will always be friction and a "push it on me".

Don't be thin skinned. Religious people knocking on your door? Big deal. Do you despise sales men in equal measure?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  17. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

On the same note… I never “believed” in demons until I witnessed and collaborated in someone’s genuine exorcism.
    And it isn’t even a matter of ”believe”, because BELIEVE suggests an interpretation based on structured faith. Nor is it perception, because it is more than eye & ear “nerve-experience”. It is discernment. That’s the closest I can get with words.
    Language is a lousy tool to describe and cope with supernatural/spiritual/meta-physical entities. So I digress :wavey:

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:fred::angel:

19. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

I never looked into anything like this, but is the odd ability to know the unknown at times, "paranormal"?

For example, when we are sitting here and for no reason one was to tell his wife what the daily pick 3 numbers will be and they come in right then? Or when someone turns to his wife and says "XYZ" is going to call and it happens. If I was to try and do anything on purpose, I couldn't. But when it just pops into my head, its almost always right.

Freaks my wife out to the point that I don't say what I "think" is going to happen anymore, but she often catches a look on my face and ask's if I knew that was going to happen. I must be a superhero and now realize it.

20. Hawaiiglock

Hawaiiglock 58008

Funny you mentioned flowers, it brought back memories of a weird experience that I had.

It was 1 or 2 in the morning and I was headed to my girlfriends house to spend the night. I was traveling on a road that had very few houses and no street lights. As I came around a curve in the road I saw a tall dark shadow (like 6'+) standing on the shoulder of the road. I blinked and it was gone. I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but just as I was shrugging it off the most intense smell of a local flower (Pikake) suddenly came into the air. It was so strong it was almost sickening, even if my car was filled floor to roof with flowers I don't think it could have given off the aroma that I was smelling. The smell stayed strong for about a 1/4 mile then totally disappeared. It wasn't scary but just plain weird.