close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Paramedics, Firefighters Weigh Pros And Cons Of Being Armed On The Job

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Jan 3, 2013.

1. nursetim

nursetim

Public safety officers. Police/fire/EMS cross trained.

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Tough choice especially if arming them increases assaults on them.

3. Averageman

Averageman

My Brother became a LEO after leaving the Air Force.
    He didn't enjoy the small town Law Enforcement job he had and went in to Private Security for a Major Private Mining Company.
    Now he works as Security for the Mine and as an EMT. He also serves as an EMT for local Communities on his days off.
    I know he carries at work, I'm pretty sure he carries on his side jobs.
    I dont see a reason why these guys aren't better protected.

4. fireguy129

fireguy129

I can say for my instance, I'd pass. We can't have a 2 car wreck without cops from 4 municipalities showing up. We've got enough training requirements that we have to do without adding in firearms training.

5. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Israeli ambulance crews and firemen have the option of being armed and many carry sidearms on duty. It's no big deal.

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I asked this question a while back on here and the overwhelming response was NO, they do not want to be armed with a gun while on the job.

7. beatcop

beatcop

It's apples and oranges here. You generally are prohibited from carrying on duty unless you are "sworn" law enforcement...meaning statutorily authorized to use force in the course of enforcing laws.

Whether some guys choose to arm themselves is another story. Body armor might be a good start.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I'd say it should be up to the individual.

9. DragonRider

DragonRider

I'd say let'm choose. You want the cert, go for it. Only issue I see is storage if your heading into a structure fire.

10. Resqu2

Resqu2

I never leave the house unarmed, I'm on a rural Dept and several of us carry, meetings, calls, just about everywhere. We all have carry permits and carry on calls for the same reason you and I carry every other day. We do not pretend to be police on a call and no one would know any of us are armed. For the record I'm not for arming Fire/Rescue for any reason other than an individual wanting to protect their self as they would on any other day of the week.

11. Resqu2

Resqu2

If its that hot to cause problems then we got other problems.

12. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Choice-Training- God Bless your choice either way...

13. beatcop

beatcop

It's a matter of indemnification and statutory powers...ems usually has neither. You take your pistol out, acting as an agent of the State, county, etc...you have to have the authority to back up your actions, otherwise someone sues you and wins....in the city/towns eyes they may not care about you being sued, but they don't want to risk a suit against a municipality.

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

The answer:

15. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

All I can say is that I'm sorry you guys are being forced into considering this by recent events. You gotta do what you gotta do. GL.

16. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

How could that actually happen? Discrete carrying methods just give them an ability to protect themselves.

Being armed, or having the potential of being armed decreases assaults. Thugs, some of them at least, have a little self preservation instinct.

17. nursetim

nursetim

Quoted for truth. I got a pass from killers because I was the only help they were going to get.

18. jrpro130

jrpro130

I work for a quite busy career fire dept in south florida...LOTS of crime. We get put in very unsafe situations daily WITHOUT pd there. They respond to all priority calls with us, but sometimes it may not come in as a priority (domestic/overdose/poss sig 7, etc) and there is really something going on. Sometimes things escalate quickly, maybe PD is not even aware of the situation. It always is that when they are there we never need them, and when we need them they aren't there.

I would love to at least be able to carry concealed...

But prefer open carry. It would be a little tricky getting dressed out (bunker gear), BUT I can't tell you how many times I wish I was carrying.

Now to make this even more difficult, we have a SWAT medic program, and we are being trained as reserve police officers, which allows us to carry and assist officers...BUT our department won't let us carry while working on shift, only when assisting the swat team.

At the least, in the next few years we are going to have to wear bullet proof vests as fire/rescue departments...sad it's come to that but very true...

19. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

In addition to being a cop, I'm also a volunteer FF driver/engineer. The down side I see to being armed is having to put on all your other gear.

I think the best option would be for one or two crew to hang back in a position of advantage and act as designated marksmen or roving security covering everyone else exposed on the fireground until you can figure out whether the area is secure.

You sound like Feinswine and the Brady pukes. :steamed:

Please explain how being armed will increase assaults. :upeyes: