close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Para USA having issues?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Beware Owner, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

NC Dept. of Labor investigates local gun manufacturer

by GLENN COUNTS / NewsChannel 36
    E-mail Glenn: GCounts@WCNC.com

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 6:46 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Experts agree that Para USA makes some of the best guns on the market.

The guns are manufactured in Pineville. Recently, the process has come under scrutiny.

North Carolina investigators with the Department of Labor visited the plant last week and have been talking to current and former employees.

Before the guns are shipped out, they must be test fired. Sources say employees have complained about injuries. Also, there are complaints that the range is poorly ventilated.

"The primers have lead in them when the bullet goes off, and the bullet has lead and it gets in the atmosphere. If you breathe it, your lead levels can go up and it's poisonous," said gun store owner Larry Hyatt.

Hyatt said he was looking into getting a range, so he is familiar with the issues.

Sources say there have also been small fires associated with Para's range because of unburned powder.

"You have to do a lot of maintenance -- vacuuming, washing your hands, washing the doorknobs, cleaning the floors and walls, keeping the air circulated and filtered. It's costly and time consuming, but you have to do it at a range," Hyatt said.

Department of Labor officials would not talk about the nature of the complaints and they wouldn't confirm any injuries at the range.

NewsChannel 36 tried to reach Para USA for comment, but we were told the owner is out of the country.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

It's a gun manufacturer. I would take any negative article by almost any news agency in the US with a grain of salt the size of Montana.

3. MarccraM

MarccraM

Hm.. I had heard the opposite.. Personally Ive never even seen one in real life, but I had not seen the best feedback online.. Although I think that para HAWG in 9mm looks VERY cool (in pics) and Im not notoriously a big fan of 1911's :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. slick64

slick64

Really?

5. armorplated

armorplated

I dunno. If I were an employee and required to test fire guns numerous times in a day, in a poorly ventilated enclosure, I'd have cause for concern. Just because it's a gun manufacturer doesn't give it an automatic pass.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Roger that. The EPA is not too keen on the types of operation alleged by employees in this article, and employees should at least know when to walk away, instead of stayin to *****, were it true.

But the old adage is also true: Where there is smokeless powder, there are primers. :)

'Drew

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

There you go, "in a poorly ventilated enclosure" Now you know that enough to state it as a fact? I'd have cause for concern as well but there isn't even enough of a case to state it as rumour at this point.

There's never been a disgruntled that made an unfounded claim to the DoL? There's never been a news agency that printed unfounded stories?

I'll believe there's something to it if/when Para-USA is fined or cited.

8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

:rofl:

9. HexHead

HexHead

I'd wear some sort of mask or respirator.

10. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Anytime a news article praises something in the first sentence, you can be pretty sure that the rest of the article is a hit job.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Those guys must be on par with the "expert" they used as a basis for the article, where all but one sentence was idle specualtion about what the complaint might be, backed up by a guy who is an expert on indoor ranges because he once thought about getting one.

12. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

I've never had a Para, so I can't really comment on them. I just thought you guys would like to know.

13. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I prefer the Canadian made ones.

14. armorplated

armorplated

As much as you know it isn't.

On the contrary. From the article.

That makes it at least a rumor.

There's never been an employee to make a legitimate complaint? Your logic, or lack of, is pretty sad.

15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Your darn right! +1:agree:

16. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

I had a Para - very good fit and finish, high quality, utterly reliable. I was a fool to sell it.

17. Jay S.

Jay S.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I had one - didn't think so much of the fit, finish, or reliability. Traded for a Colt.

19. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

I haven't been involved in the firearms business for several years now. When I was involved Para had a lousy reputation for customer service.

20. MNGunner

MNGunner

Yes indeed, primers generally use a compound called lead styphinate and it is one of the main sources of airborne lead contamination in indoor ranges.