close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

para p12

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by boytigas, Jan 3, 2007.

1. boytigas

boytigas

Happy New Year BOGS!
    :hearts:

The Christmas Season got me thinking that I should get a present for myself... so I was looking at the p12, and I just need some feedback and a few questions bout it..

Is it true that the p12-45 (not lda) is jam-o-matic? How are your experiences with the gun, especially regarding reliability issues?

Also, the p12 on display here, like the ones on twin pines and trust trade are of sterling finish and are limited editions. Any info on the range when they were made? I checked the current para website and the model is not to be seen there.

Lastly, is it possible to retrofit the p12 with the PXT extractor? Does anyone do it here in the phils?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any info and feedback:banana:

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

madami problema ang PXT extractor. after a few thousand rounds, nag fte's na pag nawalan ng tension, then you can't change to a regular extractor, its smaller in diameter. sa brian enos forum madami discussions about the pxt and it's problems.

imo. you're better off with the non-pxt model if you can find one.

3. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

i had a p12 for quite a while. the regular version, not the pxt. i dont remember it ever jamming.

i suppose you intend to carry the piece?

advantages:

1. 12+1 rounds
    2. .45 cal (if that matters to you)
    3. small
    4. 1911-type
    5. very accurate (at least mine was)

disadvantages :

1. very heavy for everyday carry, imho.
    2. recoil is quite sharp
    3. expensive

admittedly the perceived disadvantages are all subjective. if you don't mind them, i say go for it. very accurate, very reliable.

magkano na ngayon, btw?

4. boytigas

boytigas

really? i didn't know about those things with the pxt. thanks for the heads up...

and heavy, right now, I only saw the one with the pxt extractor( i didn't know before that they were already pxt). the range is at 88-93K. yeah pretty pricey, but really looks badass. :shocked:

5. toxic

toxic

sometimes looks can be very decieving.

I've read the B E forum bout the PXT and some older Para models, Eye Cutter is right.

6. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

Boytigas,

I have a P-12 that I used to carry on-duty before I switched to my full-size Para.

I've never had any problems with the P-12 when I had it stock. It would shoot reliably and I rarely experienced any jams, even with reloads. Most of my malfunctions, I can trace to my magazine, which already had a weakened magazine spring.

Overall, I would recommend it, especially if you are looking for an all-steel, compact carry pistol in .45 acp.

I do agree with EC, you're better off if you can get the non-PXT models since parts replacement would not be an issue. If you went with a PXT model and it suddenly crapped out on you, you'd have to send it back to the Para repair facility in the U.S. to have it serviced/replaced. Same thing if you would like to have an older P-12 retrofitted with a PXT.

If you do decide to go with Para, consider getting the full-size ones. There is no price difference between the models, so you might be better off in getting the full-size P-14 as it would offer you more flexibility. You can use it for home-defense, competition, and if you are willing to make some adjustments, even concealed carry, although a lot of people find it to be too big.

One more thing, if you are planning to have your pistol customized, I would suggest that you shoot the heck out of it first to find out whatever deficiencies you may have. After that, do your modifications accordingly. It's nice ot have all that great stuff on you pistol, but in my experience, the more your pistol is kept stock and follows the original JMB design, the more reliable it seems to be. Once you start putting mods on your pistol just for the sake of getting the latest gizmos on it, the more chances that something may be messed up and that would screw with your reliability.

External modifications may be okay, but if you do want to have any internal modifications made, then that is the time you have to look for a good pistolsmith so that the work will be guaranteed. In that regard, many knowledgeable BOGs can help you in finding a 'smith that will cater to your needs and budget.

Hope this helps.

7. boytigas

boytigas

Hey punisher! thanks for the advice... that pxt extractor really got me thinking... this model reminds me of them nice expensive cars without parts readily available round here...
    thats gotta be a big problem, i have no plans having a gun that i need to send abroad if problems arise...
    :thumbsup: