Glock Talk banner

Para Ordnance

1175 Views 53 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  FAL 7.62
My buddy is looking at a 3” barrel 10rd double stack. Not sure if new or used. Any1 have any experience with Para? I didn’t look up up the specific model. I’ve been on here for a few yrs and never read anything regarding Para. Yeah yeah, I know- why don’t u inquire on the 1911 forum. Well, cause I have an account here not there. And there are a lot of 1911 guys here. Chime in
Reactions: Lt. Donn
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
20,247 Posts
I have a Para Ordinance P10. It feeds hardball and Golden Sabers very nicely. It won't feed semi wadcutters. Its accuracy on a paper plate at seven yards is good. But for some reason the groups really open up at 25 yards.

Reactions: 40/45

· PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
15,061 Posts
My buddy is looking at a 3” barrel 10rd double stack. Not sure if new or used. Any1 have any experience with Para? I didn’t look up up the specific model. I’ve been on here for a few yrs and never read anything regarding Para. Yeah yeah, I know- why don’t u inquire on the 1911 forum. Well, cause I have an account here not there. And there are a lot of 1911 guys here. Chime in
Couple of interesting items about them; Todd Jarrett used to shoot for them...perhaps still does. Quite awhile ago he did a video torture test, where they pulled a GI model off the assembly line and ran 1k thru it in just a few minutes....turned the barrel purple, but no stoppages...the video may still be around. I owned the same model, was a range-gun for my CHL classes...very accurate, totally reliable...but in my experience the short dbl-stacks can be a little finicky, I would only own a full-size

· Registered
598 Posts
Originally Para has had a spotty record with extractors. This led to the introduction of the PXT (Power Extractor) models some years back (now the standard extractor used on all their guns). If you get an older Para and have this problem, replacing the extractor is neither difficult nor expensive.
Carry 12 S.S.- pocket powerhouse, IMO
select the correct ammo -
YMMV

· Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have the Para Ordnance Stealth Hog. (All black Wart Hog.) 3" 10 round double stack mag. It was my EDC for several years. I can't say that I have more than 4 or 5 hundred rounds thru it, but it has always functioned perfectly. Small and light weight due to the alloy frame, it is easy to conceal. Using very thin grips, the gun is only a fraction of an inch wider than a standard 1911. The only thing I worry about, and the reason I don't put more rounds down range, is it uses a dual captured recoil spring that is recommended to be changed every 1000 rounds or so. With Para out of business, I don't know where to get replacements. Nice gun, well made. View attachment 1154871
Just found out my buddy is looking at the Warthog. All steel version. We’re going to the gun store tomorrow.

· GT Water Dept
1,539 Posts
i have a 6.45 and 7.45 LDA .. love them...

Reactions: Rotn1 and 40/45

· Registered
4,586 Posts
Originally Para has had a spotty record with extractors. This led to the introduction of the PXT (Power Extractor) models some years back (now the standard extractor used on all their guns). If you get an older Para and have this problem, replacing the extractor is neither difficult nor expensive.
Carry 12 S.S.- pocket powerhouse, IMO
select the correct ammo -
YMMV
I think the PXT extractor was the beginning of their end. It was even more problematic than the original. I have seen some breakage at the range with that. Some outfit (EGW?) sells a sleeve that allows the use of regular extractor.

· Registered
456 Posts
Just found out my buddy is looking at the Warthog. All steel version. We’re going to the gun store tomorrow.
Do your homework on Para and the Warthog Jam-O-Matic. Para started out with a decent product, but their quality went south and being acquired by Big Green only made it worse. It's a crap shoot whether you get one that runs. Some gunsmiths don't want to work on them.

If your bro is really set on the short and squatty 1911 in 45, the RIA Baby Rock is the best choice. Also, if he's not an experienced pistol shooter, I'd recommend avoiding this type of pistol. They are challenging to shoot. A double stack 1911 in 45 with a 3 inch barrel is a handful. Literally and figuratively.

If 1911 and 45 is his hearts desire, check out some of the smaller single stack pistols. An officer. Plenty of excellent choices in that category.

Have fun and good luck. If he buys it anyway, at least light a candle and say a prayer to St Jude, Patron Saint of Lost Causes. :)

· Registered
8,124 Posts
I have the Para Ordnance Stealth Hog. (All black Wart Hog.) 3" 10 round double stack mag. It was my EDC for several years. I can't say that I have more than 4 or 5 hundred rounds thru it, but it has always functioned perfectly. Small and light weight due to the alloy frame, it is easy to conceal. Using very thin grips, the gun is only a fraction of an inch wider than a standard 1911. The only thing I worry about, and the reason I don't put more rounds down range, is it uses a dual captured recoil spring that is recommended to be changed every 1000 rounds or so. With Para out of business, I don't know where to get replacements. Nice gun, well made. View attachment 1154871
I had its twin in my safe. Zero complaints, other than it will make one side of your pants lower than the other, and don't even think about SOB carry, lol. They are mini-boomers.

· Registered
131,424 Posts
Not a fan, especially the small models

Garbage cast slides and cheap parts. They’re gone now and good riddance

· Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Do your homework on Para and the Warthog Jam-O-Matic. Para started out with a decent product, but their quality went south and being acquired by Big Green only made it worse. It's a crap shoot whether you get one that runs. Some gunsmiths don't want to work on them.

If your bro is really set on the short and squatty 1911 in 45, the RIA Baby Rock is the best choice. Also, if he's not an experienced pistol shooter, I'd recommend avoiding this type of pistol. They are challenging to shoot. A double stack 1911 in 45 with a 3 inch barrel is a handful. Literally and figuratively.

If 1911 and 45 is his hearts desire, check out some of the smaller single stack pistols. An officer. Plenty of excellent choices in that category.

Have fun and good luck. If he buys it anyway, at least light a candle and say a prayer to St Jude, Patron Saint of Lost Causes. :)
20 year Sea Bee and weapons instructor. He really wants a 1911. Thanks much for your info and insight.

· Registered
409 Posts
Wolff springs will probably have what you need.

…Ron

· AK-74
5,319 Posts
Question how is he going to gun shop to buy one. the last ones sold out of Sportsmans was over 5 years ago. they are no longer made.unless the shop you know had one old stock laying around.even cdnn is getting low on the original mags for sale and upped the price to $33 bucks now.

check out the Rocky if he has to have small hi cap 45 auto.its not pricy.....cost of a glock.and all metal. and with the cdnn mags and the sleeves you get 14 shot. And i don't consider the gun any handfull. handle a Smith 500 magnum {I should know had them and sold them} they are over the top in cal and blast and recoil,get it done,its no big deal he's buying a gun..
Automotive design Selling Customer Eyewear Publication

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

21 - 40 of 54 Posts