Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is looking at a 3” barrel 10rd double stack. Not sure if new or used. Any1 have any experience with Para? I didn’t look up up the specific model. I’ve been on here for a few yrs and never read anything regarding Para. Yeah yeah, I know- why don’t u inquire on the 1911 forum. Well, cause I have an account here not there. And there are a lot of 1911 guys here. Chime in

· Registered
1,526 Posts
I have a P16-40 that I converted to 10mm about 15 years ago. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of cash.
There are periodic complaints about them but most issues are mag or ammo related and can be resolved with a bit of intelligence and patience.
The biggest complaint is about the sights. Most models use a variation of GI sights and will need an upgrade.
I've set up 2 others like mine for friends. Both guys are very demanding shooters, and both are firmly attached to their Para's.
Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
I have the Para Ordnance Stealth Hog. (All black Wart Hog.) 3" 10 round double stack mag. It was my EDC for several years. I can't say that I have more than 4 or 5 hundred rounds thru it, but it has always functioned perfectly. Small and light weight due to the alloy frame, it is easy to conceal. Using very thin grips, the gun is only a fraction of an inch wider than a standard 1911. The only thing I worry about, and the reason I don't put more rounds down range, is it uses a dual captured recoil spring that is recommended to be changed every 1000 rounds or so. With Para out of business, I don't know where to get replacements. Nice gun, well made.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

· Registered
32 Posts
While not a double stack, I own and love a stainless Para GI Expert. I'm probably close to 1,000 rounds through that gun now and it is my go to when I fell like carrying a 1911. I bought it used from a pawn shop and the previous owner had attempted some sort of action job by cutting and stretching several springs. I couldn't get through a mag without a failure on the first trip. I ordered a tune up kit from Wilson Combat and the gun has run flawlessly since. She ain't the prettiest girl at the dance, but damned if she won't do anything you ask her to!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
19,843 Posts
I have an Executive Carry ( 10 Rd / 45)…. Short barrel- long grip………
I like it.
Well made.
IIRC Para was rolled up into Remington and I have lost touch as to how they are run in the present day….

· Registered
837 Posts
While not a double stack, I own and love a stainless Para GI Expert. I'm probably close to 1,000 rounds through that gun now and it is my go to when I fell like carrying a 1911. I bought it used from a pawn shop and the previous owner had attempted some sort of action job by cutting and stretching several springs. I couldn't get through a mag without a failure on the first trip. I ordered a tune up kit from Wilson Combat and the gun has run flawlessly since. She ain't the prettiest girl at the dance, but damned if she won't do anything you ask her to!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Nice gun, I had one back in the day.

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Back in the 90’s when the P10/Warthogs came out, there were some issues. But I think that has been worked out. Had few buddies buy them around the time of the 94 gun ban. I have a LDA Blackwatch 3” and a steel framed P14 that have worked great.

· Registered
1,692 Posts
I have the Para Ordnance Stealth Hog. (All black Wart Hog.) 3" 10 round double stack mag. It was my EDC for several years. I can't say that I have more than 4 or 5 hundred rounds thru it, but it has always functioned perfectly. Small and light weight due to the alloy frame, it is easy to conceal. Using very thin grips, the gun is only a fraction of an inch wider than a standard 1911. The only thing I worry about, and the reason I don't put more rounds down range, is it uses a dual captured recoil spring that is recommended to be changed every 1000 rounds or so. With Para out of business, I don't know where to get replacements. Nice gun, well made. View attachment 1154871
Check out EGW for part 10509-SS, you might have to notch the end that rests against the link. I am on my last Para 3” LDA recoil spring and plan to use the EGW part as it is supposed to work on the Warthog and 3” Para’s.

· Registered
459 Posts
I'll be the outlier. I had a Warthog and as much as I liked the form factor is was troublesome reliability-wise. Those who like the shorty double stack 45, check out the Baby Rock. It runs like a dream and RIA customer support is excellent.

Para is no more and I have always regretted buying a gun made by a now-defunct company. The popular parts that wear or break are often unobtainable. Because every else who has that gun needed them too.

· Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be the outlier. I had a Warthog and as much as I liked the form factor is was troublesome reliability-wise. Those who like the shorty double stack 45, check out the Baby Rock. It runs like a dream and RIA customer support is excellent.

Para is no more and I have always regretted buying a gun made by a now-defunct company. The popular parts that wear or break are often unobtainable. Because every else who has that gun needed them too.
I didn’t even know Para was out of business. Probably the best piece of info in this thread. I don’t think I would buy the gun due to that. But most here seem to like theirs. Thanks for all the replies.

· Registered
459 Posts
I didn’t even know Para was out of business. Probably the best piece of info in this thread. I don’t think I would buy the gun due to that. But most here seem to like theirs. Thanks for all the replies.
Remington bought them 20 years ago and subsequently killed off the Para brand. Then Remington went belly up.

They did some cool things... they are credited with inventing the 1911 double stack.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts