close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Palm M505

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by philford, Sep 6, 2002.

1. philford

philford Willwork4guns

Where can I find a new Palm pilot m505 at the lowest price?

2. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

m505 was discontinued several months ago... get the m515 - much better screen and controls and comes with $100 worth of software that the m505 doesn't come with. Plus, more memory.

I bought mune at amazon.com, but eBay generally has a few new ones listed. I buy computer stuff frequently from www.amazon.com and www.buy.com try them. But definately get the m515 instead of the m505!

3. philford

philford Willwork4guns

Is just the home page or start up page on the m505 color, or are all of the images in color?

4. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

Everything on mine is color. Even some color games are out there.

5. Schmedy

Schmedy

6. philford

philford Willwork4guns

I got the Palm M505 and it is great so far. Can any of you suggest some money programs?

7. podwich

podwich

I know I'm late on the draw here, but I thought I'd add my two cents. I bought the m505 off a seller called Palm Store (by ReturnBuy) on ebay. The one I got was a factory refurbished one for $169. It included all the stuff that normally comes with the m505- USB hotsync cradle, stylus, software, flip cover, etc. as well as a factory warranty. Aside from the small sticker on the back that says "refurbished" I can't tell that it's not brand new. Everything is perfect on it.

My other penny: I had read about the m505's supposed screen drawbacks. I'm confused as to what the complaints are. I bought it thinking that I would be sacrificing screen legibility for price, but I have yet to experience any problems with it. Outside it is very legible and inside you can use the light if you need it and it remains very legible. The other drawback was only 8 MB internal memory (vs. 16 for the 515) but I have that solved by using a MMC I had lying around (my camcorder uses the same MMC as the Palm). Right now I have 16 MB on mine but I'm thinking of going up to 40 (8+32) or 72 MB.

Don't know about money programs-I haven't used any yet.

8. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

Compare it side by side with the m515 and you will see the brightness difference. But, the main difference with the screens on the 505 vs the 515 is quality of construction. There was an abundance of dead screen warranty issues at Palm on the m505 because the screens were very "low bidder".

By money programs, I assume you mean Quicken and such. You can get PocketQuicken which interfaces with whatever Quicken version you have on your omputer. Its really not a bad piece of software. I know Microsoft has Pocket Money form PocketPC, but I am not sure if they have a Palm OS version (doubt it).

I have every program under the sun installed on my m515 and havn't used up the 16MB of memory I have, I can't imagine what people are putting on their Palm to actually need more than 16MB!?!?

9. podwich

podwich

Hmm. I didn't know about a warranty issue with the m505 screen. Hopefully if mine feels like crapping out it'll do it while I still have it under warranty.

As for programs, I'm finding it quite easy to fill space. Right now I have about 12 MB of info full on mine and I've only had it a couple weeks. I have some memory intensive things like a dictionary, thesaurus, epocrates, an image viewer program, a document editing program (for doing assignments when you don't mind using Graffiti), a couple ebooks, some games, a mixed drink recipe program, etc. No problems here with filling ever little bit of memory. :)