Paleo Qs.......

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Aug 15, 2007.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Hey, because of some of you fellas posts, I've been reading Cordain's Paleo website. I got a couple questions for you experts, or at least for those that have read the bood.

1) Is this a ketogenic diet? He recommends low glycemic load fruit, so there are carbs. Not ketogenic right?

2) What are low glycemic load fruit? I glean from the website that it is not the same as low GI fruit.

3) In his description of "Paleo for Athletes" he says it is for endurance athletes. Is there a definition of endurance?

4) Do you guys ever take a cheat day or meal? Does Cordain talk about this at all in his book? I find I can stick to plans like this a lot more if I can have a few beers every once in a while.

5) He recommends this plan for health right, not just weigh-loss?

6) What kind of exercise does he recommend?

Thanks,

Jack

2. supadupamikey

supadupamikey

It's been several months since I read the book, and my memory isn't all that great, but I'll toss out my 2 cents.

1. No

2. I'm pretty sure glycemic load and glycemic index are the same thing. It's suggested that you eat foods with a lower GI value, ie.. eat cantelope instead of watermelon. eat berries instead of pineapple. etc.

3. I read the normal Paleo Diet book, not the one for athletes. From what I've heard from others, the book geared towards athletes allows higher GI foods after working out to replenish stores (or something like that.

4. Some days I eat paleo 100%, some days its more like 80%. Most of the foods I used to eat make me feel pretty sick now and I really don't enjoy them. As far as beers, I had 4 this past Friday and felt like complete crap all day Saturday. I normally only had 1-2 at a time and only once or twice a week as it was, so I was never a big drinker. My current weakness is Blue Bell ice cream, I can eat 100% Paleo all day until I decide to plop down on the sofa and watch Southpark before bed... and nothing goes better than a big ol' bowl of ice cream. :)

I believe Cordain even says in his book that if you eat 50% Paleo, you'll get 50% of the results. If you eat 80%, you'll get 80%, and so on.

5. Yes

6. I can't remember what kind of exercises he recommends, if any. Again, it's been a while since I read the book.

I don't follow Cordain's advice 100%, but it's a good place to start. For example, I think he recommends Canola oil, but theres no way in hell I'm eating that stuff. He also says to only eat lean meats, and while that may be ideal, I'm broke and eat what I can afford. Sure, a nice lean grass-fed steak would be great for dinner, but I've got like $3 to spend on meat and I'm going to go with a pound of conventional 80/20 ground beef.

Hope it helps. I'm really digging this way of eating.

3. California Jack

Thanks for the answers Mikey. I think I'm not sure about your answer to number 2 though. The following paragraph is from Cordains website, it is what made me ask the question....

Note sure what that means. Maybe one of the other Paleo dudes will speak up. DBD, you around?

4. supadupamikey

supadupamikey

Interesting. Yeah, maybe one of the other guys have more info on glycemic load vs glycemic index.

5. DBradD

DBradD

Don't know. I remember seeing this, but didn't look into it. It's not talked about in Paleo For Athletes.

Your subsequent post was correct. GI is normalized for a specific number of carbs. GL accounts for the amount. I generally think of low GL carbs as berries, cherries, apples. I'm sure there are others. Dates would be a counterexample. Raisins and other dried fruits are a huge counterexample--huge GL.

Note that I know of, but he does mention race times in the book and not all of them are long races. This is a point of contention at CF, IIRC. I tend to follow their recommendations for pre- and post-WO on conditioning days, but not on strength days. That seems to work well. I don't eat quite as many carb grams pre- or post-WO, though. They recommend an obscene number post-WO.

He talks about a 95% rule--95% of the calories come from H/G sources. I am a lot more liberal than that, unfortunately. I tend to do whatever the heck I want about 1 day per week.

Yep--more for health, but I think it's great for weight loss.

I don't know if he advocates any particular form. He makes an argument that we're meant to be very active, that H/G walk many miles per day and are generally active all day long.

I really like Paleo combined with the www.simplefit.org nutrition recommendations. I think they suit folks better who aren't interested in weighing everything--very practical. This is what I'm doing at the moment and it feels very sustainable. Hung in there 2 weeks with my modified IF, but was starting to feel "weird" (for another time, LOL) so gave it up.

6. California Jack

Well if apples are OK at a GL of 6.0, then according to the paragraph I quoted, I guess pears, watermelon and oranges would be ok too, although I don't really like pears. I can handle oranges.

7. California Jack

Hit the post button too soon.

How do you think that is working for you? When I first got into training and fitness I followed Body For Life. This program encourages a free day like you describe. I found it very helpfull towards long term obedience. Heck, I could probably live with a free day every 2 weeks.

I have been eating his recommended foods, although probably not in his recommended rations this week. I needed a change from low-carbing. I don't really like fruit, but it is good for a change. Additionally I am trying to get towards a modified IF. Eating from 4 to 8. I have had to have some nuts mid morning to hold me over though. So far no negative side effects. But I DL on Saturday, trying for a new 5 rep PR so we'll see then.

8. DBradD

DBradD

It's interesting to go to http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20TB.html and change the seving size at the top. A little ways down the page, it lists the GL and you can see it change.

9. DBradD

DBradD

I think it's working ok and feels sustainable. I'll probably never get to 8% BF doing that, but don't care much at the moment--maybe later I will.

I don't think he has strict ratios. In Paleo for Athletes, he gives wide ranges. This was in a previous thread (the big IF one?), but I'd have to look it up to get the ranges.

I really like IF in concept. Just haven't yet been able to pull it off over a long haul. Glad it's working so far. I think The Warrior Diet fellow recommends small snacks of protein + carbs. That seems to work ok too if you get tired of nuts. I actually hadn't tried nuts.

10. California Jack

Good nutrition site Brad, thanks.

I don't think I'll get tired of nuts, I love 'em. And to me, they all have there own taste. Get tired of almonds, try pecans or macadamians or walnuts or hazel nuts or...

Maybe I need to read the Warrior diet.

One other thing I did today to hold me over ( I took today of to spend the last day of summer with my kids) is to sip on olive oil if I get too hungry.

11. DBradD

DBradD

Jack, this is what I excavated out of Paleo for Athletes with regard to macronutrient ratios. The quote is from me, from the big IF thread. I'd say the authors only have loose opinions on macronutrient ratios. It seems philosophically consistent because a H/G won't eat set ratios. "Let's see here, I need a 4 oz piece of this animal I killed to get me to 40/30/30."