Paleo for Athletes?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Feb 13, 2010.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I have Cordain's paleo book. But for atghlete's I understand he recommends a protein shake after workouts. Is this correct? Does he recommend any other neo stuff? what's the rules for the post workout shake?

2. BradD

BradD

I don't remember anything about protein shakes postWO. The big difference is that he recommends high-GL carbs postWO, so one could scarf down a big bowl of white pasta within an hour or so of the workout.

THis brings up something I was thinking of the other day. Waaaay back when I was competing in the early 90s, I knew absolute zippo about nutrition. I literally ate pop tarts and bologna sandwiches. I also made very little gains once I got fairly strong. One spring, I accidentally ate a different postWO meal than normal and my bench and DL both shot up 40 lb in about 3 months after being good and stalled. Every evening after my workout, I'd come home and have a huge plate of white spaghetti noodles and meat sauce and I'd guess about 16 oz of milk. Stumbled right into that one. Didn't change anything else. It was much later when I realized what had happened. I think I would've gotten pretty strong if I had known anything about what to eat.

3. California Jack

sorrry for the ee cummings reply

i was confused about protein shake or neo carbs

ill make a protein shake with milk post wod
    i think that was my prob w/ 5/3/1 recently

i gotta p

4. BradD

BradD

ee cummings?

Funny paleo story, well a little funny anyway. Just a couple of minutes ago, I heard spitting and "Yuck!" coming from our 3 year old. Some unnamed person had given her a bagel with cream chese. She had this disgusted look on her face and said "I don't like it!!" I said "How about some strawberries?" and she had a big smile and wanted them. I cut up some and she started eating them really fast. Paleo toddler.

5. California Jack

I wonder if left to choose their own foods, if kids would go paleo if they had never been influenced by adults.

a non engineer will have to verify this
    i think ee cummings was a poet that did not use caps or punctuation

6. California Jack

is milk a good enough source of carbs Brad?

I assume that the carb up after both strength and conditioning, right?

7. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I seem to remember Cordain stating something about liquid nutrition within 30 minutes postWO, then solid nutrition within an hour after that. This is what I usually go by.

8. BradD

BradD

Cordain was mostly talking about workouts that deplete glycogen. The idea is that it's good to get as much high-GL carbs as soon as possible after a workout because the body will use them for glycogen. Those same carbs taken in later might go to fat instead. So, he was talking about conditioning only, I think. I don't think he ever talked about milk, but it would seem to fit the idea considering that it's about like liquid candy.

9. proactive

proactive

This thread is making me hungry.

10. proactive

proactive

That's correct. There's a homebrew protein shake recipe for 30 min PWO (stage 3) and then stage 4: short-term postexercise "for very intense, short workouts or those longer than about 60 to 90 minutes" emphasizing protein and moderate to high glycemic load carbs. For stage 4 the shift is to solid foods.